gained a pound instead of losing

Options
Trying not to get discouraged because I am only two weeks into picking back up on it.

I know its not "toms" fault
Could my 1800 calories be to much or could it be muscle?

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You will not lose every single week, and no you did not gain muscle in just two weeks. Could be something as simple as water retention.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to tell what could be causing it. What did you do for exercise? Is 1800 net or gross? What is your weight and how tall are you? So in 2 weeks you've gained 1 lb?

Have you changed up your exercise routine lately? Started a new activity? You could just be retaining water but you should be able to do something to see some scale movement in 2 weeks.

Can you share more info?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Definitely not muscle...even when you're hitting the weights and lifting heavy and drinking protein shakes and other supplements it can be difficult to put on more than .5 Lbs of muscle per month.

I don't have enough information to tell you if 1,800 is too high...for many women 1,800 can easily be maintenance but I have no idea how tall you are or current weight to make that determination. How is your profile set up in MFP (i.e. sedentary, lightly active, etc)...how many pounds per week did you tell MFP you wanted to lose?

1 Lb can easily be water weight...I can easily fluctuate 1..2..3 pounds with water retention, especially if I've weighed in after a couple of high sodium days or if I've recently switched up my workout or something.

Also keep in mind that it's not a linear thing...over a longer period of time you will see it average out to your loss goals, but that doesn't mean it's going to be exactly xxx pounds per week. For example, when I first started and starting exercise at the same time I gained a couple pounds in the first couple of weeks (pretty sure it was water with my new exercise)...then the next week i was down 5 Lbs which looks odd linearly, but averages out to 1.5 Lbs per week over those three. Give it at least a month. be sure to drink plenty of water to flush out the sodium and avoid water retention.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you've lost some weight in the past then you know the scale is only one way to measure and it is fickle. It can be up one day and down the next. Don't fret it, just keep on your plan and evaluate after 3 or 4 weeks. Even then, maybe weigh each day for 3 days and take the average.

Either get the right mindset about the scale (know it changes hourly) and get on it every day at the same time and in the same clothing and look at the trend over time. Or stay off the dang thing except for once a month. Consider using measurements and the fit of the same article of clothing as more of a guide.
  • XkatnipX
    Options
    I am 19 5'6 146 lbs
    My profile is set to sedimentary

I exercise 3-4 days a week doing
    Taebo
    Plyo (p90x
    Leg &back (p90x
    Shoulder&arm (p90x
    Or I walk

On a 1800 calorie diet