Vegetarian recipes

Options
Does anyone have any vegetarian recipes I could try? I don't know many and I am sick of eating the same things. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds with a recipe or link to a good recipe they like :)

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Loads via Google.
  • Kyledrums
    Kyledrums Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had a nice home made veggie chilli con carne yesterday that was 390 cals. I also had a tortilla wrap with it instead of rice but that was an extra 200 cals. I would have thought it would be quite filling without that though. Would you like the recipe?

Kyle
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I had a nice home made veggie chilli con carne yesterday that was 390 cals. I also had a tortilla wrap with it instead of rice but that was an extra 200 cals. I would have thought it would be quite filling without that though. Would you like the recipe?

Kyle

I would, if you could PM it to me. Please? :flowerforyou:
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    That sounds a little broad... Maybe can you be more specific?
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Do we have a thread on this in happy herbivore? This and the veg. shopping list question comes up so much that I think we should have a dedicated thread to both topics. OP, I'm thinking that if you did a search here you would find a ton of good recipes that we have posted over the years. I'm sorry not to post anything specific but I'm starting to fatigue on this topic.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,800 Member
    Options
    I made a taco pie the other day that was awesome,
    sautee 1/2 onion and 1/4 of green bell pepper diced in a pan with 1tsp oil, add 1 can black beans rised and drained, 1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained, 1 can diced tomatos with green chilis not drained. add taco seasoning to taste and a little taco sauce, and in a pie pan (I actualy used a 9x9 square pan because thats all I had, I just cut shells to fit) put in 1 taco shell, add 1/3 bean mixture top with cheese, then start over, shell, beans, cheese, make a total of 3 shell, bean, cheese layers, top with another shell, cover with tin foil and bake 1/2 hour. top with whatever you like on tacos and wahla.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump! I would like some recipes too please!
  • kknfyd
    kknfyd Posts: 9
    Options
    If you like spinach I have a recipe for you!

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dillweed
    1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
    1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted

Toppers: crumbled feta cheese, plain yogurt, sliced roasted red peppers, and/or sliced red onions (optional)

In medium bowl combine oil, garlic, oregano, dillweed and 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER. Stir in stuffing mix to coat thoroughly. Stir in eggs, spinach, and 1/2 cup feta cheese; mix well. Shape into (4) 1/2 inch thick patties.

Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until browned and heated through.

Serve in buns with assorted toppers.

Enjoy! and let me kow how you like them!
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BTW, haven't tried this yet but i want to. I will probably alter it a little when I do. Also thinking with 6 servings I could freeze individual servings for another day ;)

Lasagna Rolls
    Crumbled tofu replaces the ricotta in our Italian-style vegetarian meal. You can freeze the cooked rolls and sauce for up to one month.

Serves: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
    12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
    3 cups chopped spinach
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    25-ounce jar marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preparation
    1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.

3. Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.) Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.

4. Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1-2 minutes. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
    Per serving:
    354 calories
    11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono)
    11 mg cholesterol
    46 g carbohydrates
    21 g protein
    8 g fiber
    374 mg sodium
    396 mg potassium

Nutrition bonus: calcium (30% Daily Value), vitamin A (30% DV), iron (15% DV)
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian - you mean eating dairy too? If so, I could suggest making omelettes, because you can easily add different veggies to it and they won't become so boring. Plus, for quick meal I always buy frozen vegetable mixes now, in winter, and later do soups from them. Try not to forget beans too. I make soy milk myself or cook delicious dried peas soup. I guess the best option for you is to buy vegetarian cook book. ;)
  • kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Kyle

Yes I would!!! Thank you :)
  • kaylacyr123
    kaylacyr123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BTW, haven't tried this yet but i want to. I will probably alter it a little when I do. Also thinking with 6 servings I could freeze individual servings for another day ;)

Lasagna Rolls
    Crumbled tofu replaces the ricotta in our Italian-style vegetarian meal. You can freeze the cooked rolls and sauce for up to one month.

Serves: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
    12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
    3 cups chopped spinach
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    25-ounce jar marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preparation
    1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.

3. Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.) Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.

4. Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1-2 minutes. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
    Per serving:
    354 calories
    11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono)
    11 mg cholesterol
    46 g carbohydrates
    21 g protein
    8 g fiber
    374 mg sodium
    396 mg potassium

Nutrition bonus: calcium (30% Daily Value), vitamin A (30% DV), iron (15% DV)

Thank you!!! I am looking forward to trying this. Thank you for taking the time to post this :flowerforyou:
  • Kyledrums
    Kyledrums Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, I didn't realise that it didn't tell you if someone responded to you.
    It was the sort of chilli where you can just throw whatever ingredients you have into a pot, but I'll tell you how I did it. This amount serves three or four depending on your portion size.

-Soften one chopped onion and one or two cloves of crushed garlic in a little oil (about a tablespoon).
    -Add any spices you would like. I used half a teaspoon each of cayenne pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander and cinnamon. Stir them in to release the flavours.
    -Add one tin of chopped tomatoes.
    -Then add one chopped orange bell pepper, one chopped red bell pepper, one chopped red chilli, a can of cannellini beans and a can of red kidney beans.
    -After these have cooked for a little, add one large tin (340g) of sweetcorn and about 100g of chopped trimmed fine beans.
    -Leave to simmer for a few minutes to let the flavours infuse and then serve and enjoy :)

I served this for three and each portion contained 390 calories. It's quite a substantial chilli so you may want to skip on any rice to go with it.

Cheers, Kyle
  • Tinabettiquina
    Options
    fyi: "con carne" means "with meat".

what have you already tried?

I make everything I used to make just using meat alternatives such as tempeh, tofu, tvp or beans instead. I don't scorn recipes that call for meat. Just adjust them.