Is it possible to live a healthy life without ruining it?

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
Hi everyone,

I've been on this site for about 20 days now as part of a project to see whether it's possible to be fit and healthy without losing the great pleasures of life. There's a great community here, and it occurred to me that some of you might be interested in my blog posts on the topic.

Here are some of the things I've written about so far:

Can my new iPad help me live longer?
Glycemic what?
Can diet be used to control high blood pressure long-term?
Does running faster burn more calories?

It's all backed up by scientific research and written in language everyone can understand. Here's the link to my blog:

http://dailymonthly.com/

Replies

• aisha11188
    Options
    Thanks for that, seems like an interesting read. My belief is its all about changing the small things :-)
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    I just read your article on running with interest. To answer your question, I use a HRM when I run and based on the data this gives I can clarify that you do burn more calories when running faster. I recently went from running at 8.5kph to 10kph and over the course of my entire workout (I assume it raises the metabolic rate for the whole workout and not just while running) I burned around 300 extra calories (a 90 min workout).

In terms of MFP estimation of calories burned, it always gives me a pretty accurate reading - I have compared my HRM with MFP and its usually within 20 or so calories.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thank you!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Alsha11188: I agree, changing small things can help a lot. One thing I changed was going from chocolate-covered raisins to yogurt with honey, walnuts, and fruit. I save 6 grams of saturated fat but still get to eat one of my favorite foods.

mzmoonlight: I'm not sure you can use your heart rate as a proxy for calorie consumption after your workout is over. My understanding is that oxygen consumption is a good proxy, but not heart rate -- my heart rate stays elevated after a run for a longer period than I'm out of breath.
  • redtulips
    redtulips Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i agree with Aisha too , i used to have cheese sandwich with white bread and switched to brown bread and felt the difference. i can stay happy and content for the whole morning and of course enjoy it just becauz of that little change .
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This may or may not help but I built a spreadsheet off of these formulas.

Total Calories Burned = Duration in Minutes*((MET*3.5*your weight in kg)/200)

MET= %of Max HR(avgHR/maxHR)*0.9

Kg= your weight lbs/2.2

Max HR= 217 - ( age*0.85 )
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found a glitch in the matrix for METS in the above formula use the MET list off of

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf