Smokers??

Options
Is anyone else quitting smoking this new year? Today is my 3rd day and I had a pretty big slip up yesterday, but I can't beat myself up over just one day. How does everyone push through their cravings? After how many days has the cravings stopped for you? I'm in need of a little motivation and support. Help!

Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. Just think what you could do if you didn't smoke.Don't wait until it's to late and you can't undo the damage done to your wonderful body! Love yourself totally! Good Luck!
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Smoker for 20 years ....... It's been 4 weeks as of this past Thursday that I have not lit one up ... I'm using the E Cigs ..... Vaping method .
  • SharonBluntz
    SharonBluntz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, both of you! I've been smoking for 6 years but it feels like it's been my entire life. I've tried an E-cig and the taste is repulsing. I think I just need to stick with my cold-turkey method. Thanks for the support! :)
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    im trying the patch, it makes me nauseas tho. i literally dry heave at every food or smoke smell throughout the day. its working tho
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have not smoked for a year and a half and I still have cravings. It's just will power. That is why we are all here though so just realize you are becoming better and try, try again. Do not give up. It will come when you are ready. I just woke up one day and quit cold turkey. I don't want to go back and for that reason alone, I haven't slipped up.
  • compumomma
    compumomma Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I smoked for almost 20 years. I ended up in the hospital on a ventilator to jump start my smoke free life. It was hard because so many around me smoked and still do. I had to remove myself from people for a while to get past the cravings but can now hang out with them. Although the smell gets me now and I don't care to be in places where there are smokers, not because it makes me want to smoke, but because the smell is repulsive now.

It is hard and I wish you luck. It does get easier to get through the cravings and in a couple weeks you will see a huge difference in how you feel. Good Luck!
  • kathyloving
    kathyloving Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too, use the ecigs... will be four years for me in April. I had lost 30 pounds when I started the ecig and was so afraid I would gain it back!! I didn't, and have lost 20 more pounds since I quit. I am a slow loser ... :(
  • ejyogafit
    Options
    Hang in there! My husband & I quit for 8 months now cold turkey and have had many times where i just couldn't figure out why but when i think straight i am so much better off. You just have to persever thru the cravings and yes they do lessen altho i doubt they will ever completly go away. I have had irritable bowel syndrome as long as i can remember and now i am 75% better i never would have realized that smoking could directly effect my system to that degree. That alone helps me not to smoke so keep on not smoking and if you slip quit again
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    my bf and I quit in September using e cigs. they sell flavored ones here and they're tolerable. but the tobacco flavored ones are gross. anyway, took about 2 weeks and was easier than I ever thought.
  • yaba77
    yaba77 Posts: 20
    Options
    I also use the e-cigs been over 2 months using them exclusively and have gotten down to a very low nicotine level. I did buy a good kit though, the gas station ones are blah. It's actually become a little hobby all kinds of of stuff out there. Thing that has made it easier for me was not looking at it as quitting but rather using something different and then just slowly lowering the percent of nicotine. They even make them with no nicotine at all if you find the physical habit harder to break. I recommend the V2 brand personally I've had the best luck with them. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions. and most of all good luck you can do it.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey twice. The first time I had smoked for about two years when I found out I was pregnant. It was so easy. But being pregnant gave me the push I needed. That lasted 6 years. The second time I quit was in 2009. I had a terrible cold so it was already hard to breathe. After one week of no cigarettes I had a seizure and was in the hospital for 4 days. At that point I had been cigarette free for 11 days and I knew I would be angry with myself if I went back. That was 4 years ago and I still think (very rarely) that I want a cigarette but the craving only lasts seconds and it goes away. You just have to be stronger than the cravings.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As a former smoker of 30 years I know what you're going through. Mine is a cautionary tale too, as I watched my mother, also a smoker, die from lung cancer at only 67 years of age. I quit cold turkey 8 years ago after learning about her prognosis; she was dead six weeks following the initial diagnosis. Sometimes it has to come to that extreme to see the damage that smoking wreaks on your health and well-being. Day three as a non smoker was the toughest day I had and seemingly when you're most vulnerable. Rather than cheat to satisfy that craving, fight through it. It will take time, but the cravings will subside to where you no longer want that nicotine fix. You can do it--stay strong.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey this past Wednesday. Im doing a lot of praying especially when the urge hits. I miss it so much! But all it dies is harm our bodies. It stinks up our hair, breath, and clothes and vehicles. I dont want to be a slave to good nor cigarettes. We.can do thus!
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago. I had tried to quit many times before and wasn't even an everyday smoker which made me think I wouldn't have as hard a time quitting. I smoked for 20 years of my life, averaging about 4-5 packs a week. I tried auricular therapy twice. That didn't help.
    A few months later I started hanging around a few people that could not stand smoke, therefore I didn't want to smoke around them. I also have a child that I didn't want to smoke around and finally got it through my head that "enough is enough." I hated everything about smoking but the actual putting it in my mouth and smoking it part.
    I quit October 31, 2008. I've had a few slip ups after that and was scared to death that I'd go back to the habit... did not, thank GOD! My cravings were worse in the beginning and slowly decreased. I very rarely crave a cigarette now (like maybe twice a year) and it's only for a matter of split seconds, probably as long as the thought of wanting one. It does get easier! Don't fight it as one big monster, just go craving by craving. If you get through one (my sister used baby carrots to act like she was smoking... not in front of people of course... haha; I sometimes had to chew on a straw or go get a healthy snack or iced tea or something), the next one you can get through too. Wait out your craving using whatever works for you. Good luck and try to stay away from any triggers you know about. I had to stay away from gum for a while, as I would always chew gum when I smoked. You are stronger than your addiction. BELIEVE IT!!!
  • dlc27573
    Options
    From past experience (I quit for almost two years before picking up the habit again) the worst of the cravings are over after about a week. The change is subtle, and they will still hit you hard from time to time (making it feel like there's been no progress at all). Hang in there, be gentle with yourself, and remember why you want to quit every time you're tempted to pick one up! What you're doing is really hard, so be proud of yourself!
  • Nursey318
    Nursey318 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else quitting smoking this new year? Today is my 3rd day and I had a pretty big slip up yesterday, but I can't beat myself up over just one day. How does everyone push through their cravings? After how many days has the cravings stopped for you? I'm in need of a little motivation and support. Help!

Feel free to add me :)

Drink water, water and more water!!! The cravings will be there for a while, but it is all in your head. Once the nicotine leaves your body, you have to break the habit. It's rough breaking up with someone. That's how you have to see it. Walking away from a bad relationship. Good luck and don't beat yourself up over the slip. Just don't give up!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way.

You can't crave what you don't want.

Quit after 20 years cold turkey.

Good luck :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

It's rough breaking up with someone. That's how you have to see it. Walking away from a bad relationship.

I love this!
  • Guurl
    Guurl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I quit cold turkey Aug 6, 2009. It wasn't easy - I thought about it - but after making it through each day - I knew if I went back I'd have to do that all over again! I'm not going to lie and say I still don't think about it - but now it's turned a corner - I'll never go back to doing that to my body or smelling like that again. I too was afraid of gaining weight - but lets face it - I was an over weight smoker as well !! Get on with it - a website I found useful is "Why Quit" - informative, supportive - all addicts like you and I.
    You can do this- take it one day at a time - one puff at a time "Never Take another Puff." - if you fall down today - quit again - keep at it until you have so many days behind yo that you never want to go back. Have a glass of water, go for a short walk. My personal opinion is cold turkey - no use replacing one craving with another - might as well "rip off the bandage" - but thats just me - I'm sure others have used nicotine replacement with success - what ever works as long as you don't stop trying.
    You CAN do this.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way.

You can't crave what you don't want.

Quit after 20 years cold turkey.

Good luck :)

This. My brother and his wife had great success with Allen Carr.