Very different calorie values in food database

Options
Hi.
I'm here week and a half so I'm still learning. My problem is that I'm from Europe and usually the brand of the food that I eat isn't in the food database, so when I'm adding food I have to choose what I think is the most similar in calories to my meal. But the calories can be so different. For example I searched for crepes. I found 300 calories crepe and 60 calorie crepe. This is a huge difference.This way I might eat too low or overeat in a day without even knowing.
Is there some other database on the Internet which is certainly true so I can check my food there?

And are Endomondo's values regarding burnt calories true?

Replies

• torlissa
    Options
    Hi

I would either check the packet if it's ready made and choose the closest in calories or if it's something you make from scratch then weigh the separate ingredients and log them separately. For example in crepes put down the milk, flour, eggs and oil used as separate things and it will total it up pretty accurately :) x
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try fitday .com. remember some of these values have just been added by members and may not be accurate.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Or you could add the food items you eat to the database with whatever nutritional information they have.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Or you could add the food items you eat to the database with whatever nutritional information they have.
    Yes this. Add your own. You can double check many here:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What kind of brands is it that you can't find? Most UK stuff is on here...
  • ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @torlissa
    If the food that I'm eating has package and calories on it I would put the calories into my diary, but sometimes there is no calories on the packet (for example eggs from farmers market ect.)
    I put all the ingredients separately for breakfast, snacks and dinner and for the lunch when I cook it. But for the most time I don't cook the lunch, so I try to find the dish in food database. Also the problem is that everything I eat is homemade so the differences in the food database are even bigger.

@bearwith @FredDoyle Thank you! I've bookmarked them.

@kmorganlfc Selector Again, I put the calories of things that I can.

@hmparkin23 I'm not from UK. I'm from small country near Italy in Europe. And it's not just brands. it's for the meals too. For example different entries for pizza can have from 100 to 500 calories in the database.