Body attack les mills

Options
What's everyone's opinion on this workout? I really enjoy it, it fast, it's hard, but its fun but wondering if anyone has had really good results from it or suggest any other workouts that I enjoy as much as this? Addicted.com

Replies

• Chrisswa
    Options
    I have only ever done a few Combat classes but i loved them. There are always lower options.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    My sister teaches it. It burns calories like any other cardio. If you enjoy it, keep going.:smile:
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What's everyone's opinion on this workout? I really enjoy it, it fast, it's hard, but its fun but wondering if anyone has had really good results from it or suggest any other workouts that I enjoy as much as this? Addicted.com

Hate Attack..love Combat and like Pump
  • brazjez
    brazjez Posts: 10
    Options
    It's the only exercise I've ever really enjoyed and haven't wanted to make an excuse not to go. I when been doing for a while so wondered if its helped anyone lose weight/ tone etc now I'm dieting aswell. I do like spin but only go to that now and again. Why do you hate attack?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    It's the only exercise I've ever really enjoyed and haven't wanted to make an excuse not to go.
    Then that's the one you stick to regardless of how others feel. This should be for life and not just because someone is just trying to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • april_mesk
    Options
    Agree with NinerBuff. It's just not for me. I admire you though to do that work out. It reminds me of running and for some reason I just cannot control my breating. It's high intensity for an hour with no dip in heart rate. For me, I need something that is not so high also because my goal is to lose weight and not endurance. Don't get me wrong, it probably does help to lose weigh but, for me my rate is just at max throughout the whole routine. Do you use a heart rate monitor?
  • sarieah
    sarieah Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I prefer Combat, but find that Attack works me harder. Keep at it if it works for you and you enjoy it, as it is an amazing work out - I always notice a difference when I include one class in my weekly routine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Its a tough workout, and a great cardio calorie burner.

I don't like it cos I find it too fast and bouncy - cannot stand jumping jacks.
  • brazjez
    brazjez Posts: 10
    Options
    No I don't use a heart monitor, I put high impact aerobics for the workout on here at 525 calories the hour because I can't find attack on the options. We don't have combat at our gym, would like to try it
  • sarieah
    sarieah Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No I don't use a heart monitor, I put high impact aerobics for the workout on here at 525 calories the hour because I can't find attack on the options. We don't have combat at our gym, would like to try it

I'm glad you said that, I use high impact aerobics too and wasn't sure if this was correct or not.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    Yes, I would say high impact is accurate.
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love Body attack! It's my favourite class. It's an awesome workout, lots of energy, great music, awesome instructors. I go about 2-3 per week and I don't think I will ever get sick of it. It is hard core, high intensity but that's good! Keeps me very fit. I have worn my heart rate monitor and usually I burn about 500 calories and I do this class at a high intensity.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've done a few Body Attack classes. It seems pretty decent. It's not amazing, but it's good. It's basically like your generic higher impact aerobics class every gym offers.
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    LOVE Attack!

When my gym first introduced it years ago I tried and didn't like it. I just couldn't get past some of the cheesy 90s aerobic moves. Though I could tell it was a good workout, I couldn't see myself doing it regularly. And about once a year I'd try it again and it would only just remind me why I didn't like it.

But then this past year I needed to add some more variety to my cardio workouts so I was trying all sorts of different classes. And I gave Attack yet another try. Still felt the same way about some of the cheesiness but it was by far the most intense workout of any of the things I had tried. And that's really what I was looking. Plus I felt great afterwards.

So I decided to suck it up and go back and try to do it on a regular basis. And somewhere along the line after about 4 or 5 classes I was in love...cheesiness and all :)
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Love BodyAttack!

I use 3-lb dumbells during the class for all tracks except the push-up and abs ones, and find it really helps burn more cals- all the reps of the light weight help to shape, and add resistance to the usual cardio routine.

But yes, fun class- it's my one "regular" class I do each Saturday AM in addition to my everyday routine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You use dumb-bells in Attack? is that safe? I'd be scared of them flying out of my hands and hitting someone else in the class.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You use dumb-bells in Attack? is that safe? I'd be scared of them flying out of my hands and hitting someone else in the class.

Yeah, I mean... you keep a definite grip on them. Lol. They're 3 lbs so not that difficult to handle/keep secure. I would NEVER go any heavier though, because of exactly your mentioned fears. Some of the moves (clapping, obviously) are modified when I use them, and only bring them close to eachother...just to work with the resistance.

In my weekly class, 3 of us use them on a regular basis.

So far only one instructor hasn't allowed their use, but all others seem ok with it. I definitely appreciate the fact that some instructors wouldn't allow them, and would always set them down right away if asked... :-D
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like it, sometimes I wish the music was a little differnt but i always sweat buckets after that class.. I average burning around 550 calories in 55 mins typically.
  • bridgetabecker
    bridgetabecker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the best exercise regiment that fits into a busy schedule. Any input?
  • JulesC5
    JulesC5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Yeah, I mean... you keep a definite grip on them. Lol. They're 3 lbs so not that difficult to handle/keep secure. I would NEVER go any heavier though, because of exactly your mentioned fears. Some of the moves (clapping, obviously) are modified when I use them, and only bring them close to eachother...just to work with the resistance.

In my weekly class, 3 of us use them on a regular basis.

So far only one instructor hasn't allowed their use, but all others seem ok with it. I definitely appreciate the fact that some instructors wouldn't allow them, and would always set them down right away if asked... :-D

I'm sorry, but that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, no one should be using free weights dueing body attack. Are you sure your instructor is certified? Les Mills would strike them off for that!