what exercise can i do sitting please ,

Options
I have limited mobility ,but need to lose 2 stones, are there exercises for me to do?

Replies

• calisunrise
    Options
    i suggest lifting dumbells while sitting or maybe a little bit of punching too
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/95754-exercises-can-sitting-chair/

It depends on how limited your mobility is. Those who say it is all about calorie intake, though, doing something always seems to helps.

If you had access to an exercise ball just sitting on it, instead of a chair, works the muscles of the core. And you could improve balance with a number of simple exercises you can do with it.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is a television program in the U.S. but you might still get some healthy info from them: http://www.sitandbefit.org/
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy music, turn it on and dance with your arms and shoulders in whatever creative movements you want! Then, let the music relax you afterwards with some arm, shoulder, neck stretches for example!
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    absolutely! there are LOTS of things you can do in a chair!

i teach senior chair exercise class at the ymca. in florida, we have lots of seniors, and most have some sort of limitation. the program that i teach is called SilverSneakers.

if you do not have this in your area, please look at sparkpeople.com (you may have to join, it's free) and in the search box, type 'chair exercises' and a lot will come up. there are videos to help.

also, google 'chair exercises'. there may be some good videos on youtube as well.

good luck in your journey!

p.s. how many pounds is a stone?
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would definitely just focus on your diet. My dad lost 35 pounds just by eating healthy and not exercising and he's 70 years old.
  • Lucassvg
    Lucassvg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have limited mobility ,but need to lose 2 stones, are there exercises for me to do?

Fantastic ten minute workout. I do this often. Your arms will burn afterwards, but good pain. Hope you enjoy

Tiffany Rothe Workout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvE0uQRM5-A
  • Lucassvg
    Lucassvg Posts: 190 Member
    Options

i teach senior chair exercise class at the ymca. in florida, we have lots of seniors, and most have some sort of limitation. the program that i teach is called SilverSneakers.

if you do not have this in your area, please look at sparkpeople.com (you may have to join, it's free) and in the search box, type 'chair exercises' and a lot will come up. there are videos to help.

also, google 'chair exercises'. there may be some good videos on youtube as well.

14 pounds = 1 stone
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    you could do mini calf raises while you're sitting, put a heavy book on your lap and lift your calves up and down, don't let your heels touch the ground.

You could also do squats over your chair or just ditch the chair all together and just do squats xD
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Silver Sneakers is national. But you can only participate if your health insurence covers it. Crazy, huh?
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try that youtube video done in a chair...believe me, it's a challenge to keep your arms up!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike. Recumbent bikes are best for people with lower back issues, but any bike will have a seat.

Edited to add:
    My mom suffers partial paralysis due to a spinal chord injury in the late 1970's that was again exasperated in 2001 when she was struck by a car in a crosswalk as a pedestrian.

She rides a stationary bike. Bikes are great for people with limited mobility.
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike. Very easy on the joints and you burn a ton of calories. As you ride more and more your legs will build up strength, in turn you'll pedal faster and expel more and more calories.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Good advice from others to google chair excercises. But you could also consider purchaseing a mini peddle bike, these can be used whilst sitting, of course it would depend on your mobility but worth a look.

http://www.elderstore.com/mini-bike-pedal-exerciser.aspx

This one is $99 but there are cheaper/simpler versions out there.

Good luck.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike. Recumbent bikes are best for people with lower back issues, but any bike will have a seat.

Ditto. I have limited mobility due to a couple of accidents...lower back and right ankle. However, I can ride my recumbent stationary bike for a long time. I also "run in place" while sitting in my office chair and also do speed reps with low weight dumbbells. The aforementioned link to livestrong is great as well.

You can do it, but most nutritionist, dietitians, and fitness experts will tell you that healthy weight loss begins and ends with a proper diet for your age, gender, body type, etc.

Good luck to you!
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    I have a nifty little gadget that basically turns my kitchen chair into a recumbant bike. It's just a little frame with bike pedals that you set on the floor in front of your chair. Mine is Gold's Gym brand and I found it at Walmart for $25. I've also seen them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. You can pedal it forward and backward for variety. You can also set it up on the table and do it with your hands for some arm and back exercise. I love it.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    NaomiJFoster said:
    Silver Sneakers is national. But you can only participate if your health insurence covers it. Crazy, huh?

reply:
    at the Y, any member of the Y can be in SilverSneakers class, and any SilverSneakers member can use any part of the Y. (really nice if there is a pool!)

But yes, it is sold as an insurance company benefit. the insurance company pays the gym membership fee every month. i think in the beginning, only humana offered it as a benefit, but now there are other insurance companies on board.

sorry, i don't know how to quote.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • maryloucash1961
    Options
    grab a couple of soup cans and lift. also, you can lift legs or gat resistance bands and open/close. good luck I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    NaomiJFoster said:

reply:
    at the Y, any member of the Y can be in SilverSneakers class, and any SilverSneakers member can use any part of the Y. (really nice if there is a pool!)

But yes, it is sold as an insurance company benefit. the insurance company pays the gym membership fee every month. i think in the beginning, only humana offered it as a benefit, but now there are other insurance companies on board.

sorry, i don't know how to quote.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I work at a JCC and we have a Silver Sneakers program. But it has to be covered by the person's insurance. My mom was trying to get into it, but her insurance doesn't cover it and nobody will allow her to sign up. I might suggest that she try one of the Y's. It seems like such a great program.

(the quote button is in the bottom right corner of the comment box. Just click it, scroll down from the other person's words a line or two, and make your reply.)