Hey, Fat Girl!

Options
Since it's January and many new faces have arrived here at MFP I thought I'd share something I love... It's an encouragement to all those who put themselves out there and get outside and put in the work and the hours no matter what the expense.

YOU. CAN. DO. THIS.

This is for you:

"Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you..."

Read the rest here: http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! And so true! Thanks for sharing
  • lomins
    lomins Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks
  • Cougar7279
    Options
    I always try to talk to and encourage everyone... Period!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    That's beautiful!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    read this the last time you posted I think and still I love it..made me cry
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    wow -- that is awesome
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Inspiring and awesome :)
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Dang i'm on mobile. I can't see the blog. *kicks rocks*
    Luv the start of the thread though!
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    so lovely <3
  • seppy82
    Options
    I'd never seen this before...it's awesome. I'm pretty much terrified of exercising in public, so seeing this gives a little encouragement.
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    Thank you so much.. I really needed that. I don't run yet, it's all I can do to walk quickly. I feel like I am moving at 5mph and It's really like 3mph but it is my hardest and fastest speed currently. I was walking on a track the other day and felt exactly like that. Now I know to keep my head up and smile. I will be running soon enough.
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it!!! It brought tears to my eyes! Thank you!!
  • Kitty_Kat_meow
    Options
    i will be totally honest I'm terrified of running but that is an inspiration. Thank you it's messages like that, that enable people to start that long scary journey.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wow...beautifully written, thanks for posting.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It did make me cry. I do feel like others question my being involved in the exercise. I do want to try to jog - so when it warms up I will keep this in mind as I start that adventure...
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was also afraid to try different exercises and activities thinking that I would be looked at weirdly because I was so big, but honestly I finally got over it for my own sake. While I weighed well over 270 pounds I started swimming (yes I got into a swim suit and went into a public pool) and started riding a bike. As the weight went down those activities became easier and I started pushing myself to do other things I never thought I would until I reached my goal weight or close to it. At about 220 pounds I started doing Jillian Michaels workout DVD and running.

Although I still have a ways to go to my goal weight I started the C25K program for jogging/ running and though the first time was hell I have down it several times since and I feel my stamina improving and I plan on continuing with the program until I can run, thats right RUN a 5K, regardless of my weight.

So dont let your weight hold you back, if you want to try some physical activity go for it!!! :bigsmile:
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Love it! I'm a fat girl at the moment and was always scared of running in public. I figured that people would shout things at me and my wibbly bits. But I started jogging last year, and in all of the dozens of jogs I've done around my suburb, not one person has said anything even vaguely rude. There's been a lot of good mornings and the occasional 'that's what I should be doing!', but nobody has said anything rude to me. I was astonished!

Course, they could be thinking it, but they're welcome to think whatever they like!
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. the bigger our circle of friends we have, the stronger we become. it's nice to know that there are people out there that have been thru this and know what it takes to get to the finish line...and give us support instead of grief. we look for inspiration because we know it's out there...we just have to go find it and use it to our advantage. only "we" can change us. once again, thanks for sharing this.
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    DefluffinMyStuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Beautiful:flowerforyou: . I'm going to try to remember that might be what people are thinkin' while I'm beboppin' my big self around.:embarassed: