pasta queston

Options
vgallan help please i have a cupboard full of pasta (white) and wondered if i eat this regularly will it stop me losing weight? i love pasta could eat it 4-5 times a week with fresh salad/veg but will this be hindering my weight loss?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    vgallan help please i have a cupboard full of pasta (white) and wondered if i eat this regularly will it stop me losing weight? i love pasta could eat it 4-5 times a week with fresh salad/veg but will this be hindering my weight loss?

Not unless you have some sort of medical disorder that would have you limit such foods
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As with anything, all in moderation and you should be fine. Stay under your calorie goals and once you are used to it, start tinkering with your other macros (carbs,fat, protein).
  • vgallan
    Options
    so the fact that it isn't wholemeal or anything like that is ok? aslong as it's in moderation !
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is ok to eat plain old white pasta. Carbs are ok regardless of what the recent fads have tried to scare people into. Personally, when I do make pasta I weigh it on my food scale for 2 servings and cook just that, no temptation for seconds. Or at least less motivation to have more since I don't want to cook again. At first it was tough, but I am used to it by now.
  • vgallan
    Options
    oh good im so relieved no one else eats pasta in my house so would go to waste and its sooo cheap aswell lol
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You need to ensure that if you are using this pasta, it does not form the bulk of what ends up on your plate. Cook the pasta, take one cup out - add a cup of cooked veggies, half a cup of sauce. Mix them together. Now serve with 2 cups of boiled veggies. No garlic bread or chips.

If you eat the pasta like this, you will not gain weight because you are only consuming 1 cup of boiled pasta to 3 cups veggies. If you start adding sauces and cheese and fat you will put weight on.

If you like meat, dry fry it before putting into pasta sauce but again you need to watch that the bulk of your pasta is not meat.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The pasta is fine in moderation as said.
    Watch what sauce you make. The creamy ones can be killer
    If you do make a creamy one, use less cream.
    Better to make a tomato based sauce like a Napoli.

Eating with a salad as you do is excellent. Watch the dressing.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta or rice every night for dinner and have lost 93 pounds. I would say you are a ok!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    keep it in your goal you'll be fine.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You need to ensure that if you are using this pasta, it does not form the bulk of what ends up on your plate. Cook the pasta, take one cup out - add a cup of cooked veggies, half a cup of sauce. Mix them together. Now serve with 2 cups of boiled veggies. No garlic bread or chips.

If you eat the pasta like this, you will not gain weight because you are only consuming 1 cup of boiled pasta to 3 cups veggies. If you start adding sauces and cheese and fat you will put weight on.

If you like meat, dry fry it before putting into pasta sauce but again you need to watch that the bulk of your pasta is not meat.

um, no.
  • vgallan
    Options

um, no.

??
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

This has nothing to do with losing weight. You lose weight by eating at a calorie deficit, not by what you eat.
    Eating a lot of pasta without veg, meat, fat and fiber may leave you unsatiated though.
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    If you have an Asian store near you, look in the refrigerated section for Shiritaki noodles. I use the Angel Hair. It is made from tofu, but it absorbs the flavor of whatever you put on it. I is only 20 calories per serving, 3g of carbs, 2g of fiber, Calcium 10%, Iron 2%, gluten free, no sugar, no cholesterol and considered vegan.

I've also heard but not tried yet, some people use spaghetti squash. It really looks like spaghetti.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options

um, no.

I'm about to have pasta for dinner. There will be sauce. There will be meat. There will be cheese. It will be yummy. It's within my calories for the day. None of that other business matters.