Hot Yoga

Options
Hi all I've recently signed up at a hot yoga studio and I've done two different classes so far which have both been awesome. Anyone else into hot yoga? What's your experience been like?

Replies

• 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    LOVE IT! I only started doing hot yoga in October but I love it - I feel like my body just works better since I started.
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've never done it myself, but wanted to... Bikram Yoga, right?

Our Chancellor told me she does it all the time and she loves it... she is super healthy and looks great!
  • maggieleigh30
    Options
    I love it! It's a great workout and I think the heat helps with getting into the poses better as the class goes on. Also particularly great in the winter when it's freezing out!
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love it! I have talked three friends in three years into going and no one made it three time. They hated - I mean HATED it.

If I miss more than two days I start feeling stiff and lethargic. I amazes me how different you are practice to practice. Sometimes you own it, some times it owns you!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've done a hatha class and sculpt class. The scult class was KILLER because it incorporated weights with the poses! I was exhausted and sweaty, but it was awesome. The hatha class was still challenging, but I've been feeling so much more stretched out and relaxed since I've started!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga is great -- if you don't sweat much. I sweat much. Hard to even stay on the mat.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love LOVE LOVE LOVE HOT YOGA! I go to a Moksha Yoga studio!! It's actually changed my life. If I go more than 4 days without going to a class I do feel stiff and get a moksha yoga craving! I have an unlimited membership and I aim to go 4 days/week. :) I only started going in November and it was the best decision I ever made!
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would just do a school of "regular" yoga. I've heard there are some safety issues with Bikram and there are TONS of health benefits to be had with yoga by itself. Also, Bikram is not really how yoga was meant to be practiced, from a traditionalist perspective. It was basically created as a Western fad.

My Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine...of which yoga is a big part of) professor in India seethed at the idea of Bikram yoga. He thought it was a horrid concept and thought people were idiotic for not just doing the traditional method. I mean, the man also believes in using emetics for healing, but I'm with him on this one. Why subject yourself to dehydration and overheating, when traditional yoga has been shown to be awesome for weight loss?!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try it but it only seems available in big cities - all too far away for me!
  • kerriotto
    Options
    I love hot yoga!!! It has helped give me back my life! I've been practicing 3-4 days a week for the last two months and it's become almost a necessity. I stand taller and am more toned than I have been in over a decade.
    I sweat a lot but that's kind of the point. I use a towel on my mat so I don't slip.
    I don't get dehydrated because I drink a lot of water throughout the day before hand and another 20 oz after- about 100 oz total.

I can't say enough about hot yoga and the good it's done for me.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I throw a bit of Bikram into my routine about once every two weeks.

Love it!