Starting to get depressed and just not motivated

Options
I did a battling bare picture because my boyfriend has PTSD and was deployed overseas. These are some of the comments my picture has received.
John Eff anyone else just throw up?
December 31, 2012 at 2:38am · Like

Justin Cook Great Wall of China ?
December 31, 2012 at 3:59am via mobile · Like

Justin Cook Quiet your silent screams by laying on top of you and smothering him to death. My guess is her "man is a huge POG and will never see any actual war
December 31, 2012 at 4:02am via mobile · Like

These kinds of comments really make me depressed because I really am not a huge woman. I am 222 lbs. What the people dont know is I am this big because of an emergency surgery I had and then I had to have a second surgery. I am ashamed and even more embarrassed about myself now having read those comments. I can't help but to go back to the depression I was in after my surgeries. I really wish I never had sent my pictures into Battling Bare.

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Please don't let the thoughtless comments of a few strangers depress you.

As you said, they don't know you. They don't know what your battle is. And they certainly don't understand what your boyfriend is going through and how much you support him.

Remind yourself that you're a good person, a strong person, a loving, supportive person.

Please, don't let them take those important things away from you.
  • amyfliesalot
    amyfliesalot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Battling Bare is, but it certainly doesn't sound good. Stay very far away from it, and start hanging with MFP. The folks on this site are very supportive and encouraging. "Shop" around for friends on here that will make the weight loss journey with you. You'll learn a lot (probably) and become a Big Loser (in the GOOD way).

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'll skip along with you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry that happened to you.

unfortunately there are all types of people on the net.

i applaud your bravery because i know i'd never be able to post a picture of myself on an open forum like that unless it was a before pic with a side by side after pic
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hon, dont let the small minds of these insensitive little pricks hurt you....you did this for your man and all the others battling PTSD. Good for you!!! Hold your head high!!! thank you
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    More often than not, people who post stuff like that are extremely insecure and trying to drag as many people as they can down with them. Or they're just rude need a good punch in the face. Either way, try not to let it get to you :(
  • candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above MFPs. Some people make themselves "feel good" by putting other down. Unfortunately, it happened to you. I;m so sorry. You should be proud of yourself and your boyfriend. Thanks for the service. What branch is he in?
  • card2016
    Options
    I agree w/fireman small minds,look at the good things in your life it could be the smallest one. Thank you for your sacrifice and your boyfriends. Plus those small minds really do not know your inner beauty. Hold your head high.
  • quietwatch
    quietwatch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Danica,

There will always be people who thrive on making others miserable. It's a sad part of life. They're not worth even a second of anyone's time. Leave them in their world and you will be much better off in yours.

If you want to make a change do it because you want to for yourself not because of other people.

:-)
  • wannadance
    Options
    What you and everyone else are doing for Battling Brave is honorable and important - what you did takes guts!! Please don't let the likes of these ****wits detract from that in any shape or form. It's the big things in life that deserve our attention, energy and love (Battling Brave and your relationship / partner fall into this category). Focus on the things that you value and love and try to forget these wastes of space - maybe one day they'll cotton-on to the significance and beauty of this act xoxo :flowerforyou:

**edited for spelling :bigsmile:
  • wannadance
    Options
    I don't know what Battling Bare is, but it certainly doesn't sound good. Stay very far away from it, and start hanging with MFP. The folks on this site are very supportive and encouraging. "Shop" around for friends on here that will make the weight loss journey with you. You'll learn a lot (probably) and become a Big Loser (in the GOOD way).

I myself had to look up what Battling Bare is - am sharing the Mission statement from their facebook page for anyone else not familiar with the group..

Mission
    The mission of Battling Bare, Inc. is to provide a network of support for the spouses, children and family members who silently struggle to carry the burden of PTSD with their beloved Service Members. By creating a safe place to band together and share our stories, we will raise awareness about PTSD and create positive programs of true healing for families affected.

Battling Bare, Inc. strives to be a unique, positive and encouraging community resource for spouses of all military Service Members who struggle with PTSD. We are dedicated to eradicating the stigma in order for the family as a whole to achieve the help and healing they deserve.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    As prior military things like this make me sick.

This is horrible what they did, but dont let them get you down. They're not worth it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Those comments come from heartless people who don't realize that it is because of your husband that they can say such filth. The spouse always has one of the hardest jobs, imo. They can't truly hold a job, because they move every 3-4 years. They have to deal with weeks, months, years of separation from the persons they love. Often times they are basically like single parents, raising children on their own while their loved one is over seas.

I have been there when people welcomed us home with protests, calling us baby killers and other horrible names. What you did for your husband is beautiful and thoughtful. The people who called you such horrible names have no idea what you go through day in and day out with a husband who has PTSD, and I thank you for being one of the ones who are trying to bring light to this horrible condition that many soldiers, sailors and marines are coming home with.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Battling Bare is a beautiful and inspiring movement to bring light to PTSD. Everyone and anyone who has a veteran in the family with PTSD should be involved! They should go towards it. It has nothing to do with MFP. It is a wonderful movement because believe it or not, the treatment for people with PTSD in the military is NOT very good right now, and the movement is trying to get better care for those persons with it.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that our society has devolved to such extents. People often project their own insecurities towards others behind the safety of their internet walls. Don't let them knock you down. Getting active always helps me get through a funk as well as some good old fashioned sunlight (yeah yeah its winter). I am also losing weight to join the AF - Good Luck!
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I can relate to people's comments on a photo of you, how they can hurt & make you depressed. I was sorta skinny my whole life because I've been a dancer since age 3, but due to some health issues I gained about half my entire weight the past few years. Some comments I got were even from people who were supposed to be "friends", & didn't take into consideration that sometimes people become heavy for reasons that are almost out of their control - ie; it's not like I was eating like a pig. For the past couple years I've been depressed in my own body that feels foreign to me. Last year I was finally able to start feeling better & let me tell you - getting better to FEEL better makes a huge difference in everything. I may weigh the same as I did a year ago, but I'm now on a starting path. If you're on a starting path too now, to where you can make positive changes in your life - that's what really matters. People are always going to find something to talk crap about. Once when I was too skinny there was a rumor I was on meth! You do this for yourself & there are people that love you. Not for all the idiots out there. If anything, use it as something to show them you're awesome! Now that I started working out, when I think I'm getting too tired & want to stop doing jumping jacks or that last minute on a machine, I think about those people who put me down & how much I want to show them - & it makes me push that much harder! Either ignore it (yes I know, easier said then done) or use it to your advantage. In any case, it looks like you have a gorgeous face & a gorgeous heart to match, so work on the whole package girl & you'll feel tons better. <3 Good luck! :)
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think, particularly giving the nature of battling bear, you should have reported those people to the Mods and then Ignored them. Haters are not worth your precious time or energy. Surround yourself with helpful, positive people. ((hugs))