Feeling fatigued

Options
Hi all

Apologies if I am going over old territory - I've only recently started with MFP. Like alot of other newbies, MFP set me with a 1200 calorie goal which I've only been able to make with exercise. Otherwise I easily go over by 300 calories or more. I am usually pretty active - and do quite bit of cardio during the week - 4 to 5 times a week with body attack or body step class (probably burning around 400 + calories because I like to go with the high intensity option).

Before I started counting my calories and trying to restrict my diet, I was able to make it through a class feeling okay. Since I've started MFP, I've really struggled with getting through a class. I know the answer is upping my calories, but can anyone give me a steer on whether I should aim for 1400 net, or something higher?

As a guide, I'm a 33 female - 56.5 kgs (I dropped some water weight I think because I started at 58kg a week ago).

Thanks all!

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but 1200 is not enough, quite frankly I don't think 1400 is enough with your workout. I am 5'5" and when I was at 134 pounds, logging no additional exercise, MFP had me at 1650 to maintain. Hopefully, one of the more informative MFP'rs will come on and answer you. If not, try asking your question again.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    First I would check your setting. Are your settings set for sedentary active or very active. Do you eat the calories you burn through exercise? If you are at 1200, burn 400 that only nets you 800 per day!! No wonder you have no energy. So:

1) Eat the calories you burn through exxercise
    2) Up your protein intke
    3) Verify your settings so that they are accurate.

Good luck and keep us informed here. We all are cheering for you to succed!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What have you set your activity level at and why? What have you set your goal at, one or two pounds? Are you not already at a healthy weight for your height, if so what is your bodyfat percentage? Are you not doing any strength training? Do you mean you are eating 1200 calories plus your exercise calories or just 1200 calories?
  • debdelilah
    Options
    I've read stats before that most people(the average American) can lose weight eating 1800-2000 per day. This is if you haven't slowed your metabolism by eating much less for a period. You may need to transition to eating more for a little bit(eating at maintenance) to get your metabolism up to working well again, and don't worry about any gain in that time, just focus on how much stronger you feel getting better nutrition while still being active. Because of the high calorie counts in restaurant foods and pastries, many people were eating far, far more than 2000 cals, probably not realizing it and eating calorie dense things, at the time they gained weight. So even eating a 2000 calorie diet is a big reduction for most people.

Remember some athletes can eat 10,000 calories a day and still be fit(an exception, like Michael Phelps, tall and a man, so not like us, smaller and female) but still it proves a point - 2000 calories is not especially much for a woman who is on a fitness plan with significant activity every day. It's about what I'm eating myself and I used that plan to lose the last few pounds. When I was eating less, I felt weaker too, and actually noticed a significant loss of muscle during my strength training, while also feeling bloated. You have to trust that eventually your metabolism will even out if you give it a chance and eat enough to fuel your workouts.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For me, wearing a heart rate monitor has helped immensely. I get a very good idea of how many calories I'm burning during my workouts. Since I am small (5'3) and am set for low calorie consumption (a little more than 1200), I use every single exercise calorie I burn! As a result, my energy levels are high. I've just come to the realization that since I am so small, I can;t aim for higher than one pound per week loss - but I'm OK with that!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    check out fat2fitradio.com/tools and look at the BMR option.. It tells you your BMR (calories if you never got out of bed) and what to net for goal weight. It helped me to adjust and not be tired anymore.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1200 my be below your BMR. Check out this post and calculate your bmr and tdee.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • azziie
    azziie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help - you've been great - it's my first time posting here, and it's great to get this support so early on!

My settings are set for sedentary because I have an office job. I've entered in 1.5 pound weight loss per week, but I think on reflection, that's quite extreme based on my current weight and I'll need to reset my settings.

I can only meet the 1200 calorie per day goal if I exercise, so yes I eat back my calories - maybe not all, but most of them. In terms of strength training, I've only started body pump incorporating light weights (I have little to no muscle strength which I know I need to work on).

Thanks for the advice on the BMR and TDEE - I'll have to check these out.

Would it be okay if I added some of you as friends - it would be good to see what others are doing?
  • karenkoen
    Options
    I had same problem. I reset my settings to 1/2lb loss and sedentary ( I sit at a desk all day) BUT I eat all my exercise calories back. This way on non-exercise days I am not starving and I have energy for my workouts on other days. Eat more to lose more :) And track your inches don't focus on the scale so much. For me I am gaining muscle so my loss isn't great but my inches overall loss is 7 inches so far!
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you change your setting to reflect your exercise and it will give you more cals. I always try to leave 300 cals not eaten. With exercise I go between 1600 cals to 2400 brunt.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You must be near your target goal. Calculate what your TDEE is for your target weight and just eat that amount of calories. You will feel good and slowly lose the weight until you reach your goal.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    MFP recommends "lightly active" for an office job as I recall(I believe it had it in parentheses next to the category). Even if you aren't on your feet all the time, you are typing, filing, getting up to use the copier and walk over to colleagues, opening supply boxes, etc. It is not the same as if you were on the sofa watching tv.

I am on maintenance, with over 1600 needed to maintain my current weight(114 lbs) - I changed my MFP setting to moderately active because I exercise every day of the week, including strength training every day, and that raises my BMR even at times when I'm not moving(strength training does that, and it's not otherwise factored into calories burned. So MFP will say I need to eat 2400 calories to maintain on a very high exercise day! I don't eat all of that, but usually about 2000, and I sometimes slip below 114, but am generally maintaining.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You can eat back some of those calories yannoL :)
    If it gives you 1200 a day and you burm 400 from working out, eat closer to 1600.