Is this normal?

Options
So I've been on MFP a week tomorrow, I'm feeling incredibly weepy and emotional. Is this normal or is it a sign I'm not eating enough?

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Did you change what you are eating? When I cut carbs briefly I had that problem and I was fatigued, but not sure if that's from not eating enough.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked. Could be the amount you are eating or what you are eating/ not eating. Could be hormonal or seasonal.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just sounds like shes married. :tongue: Of course first question is it that time of the month, secondly are you eating enough, and thirdly, what are you eating. Lack of energy can be from too little protein. Until we can see your food log, it's hard to tell. But we are here to help, or at least try to.
  • KNAMsMum
    Options
    I found a few years back that when I went off of chocolate, sugar and refined flours, I experienced withdrawal and was weepy and crying more than usual (which for me was unusual since I don't tend to cry easily). I recall someone telling me that it was due to my body adjusting to the lack of sugar in my diet. I persisted and was much better the next week plus everything tasted so much better with refined sugar out of my system. Hope this helps.
  • Shabbyrose
    Options
    Will make my diary public
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You aren't even eating 1000 calories and nowhere near the MFP goal, why? Please don't starve your body it cannot tell the difference between a crash diet and a famine so will be in a state of stress, you need to at least eat above your basal metabolic rate which is the amount of calories you would still need if you were in a coma. A balance of all the food groups and nutrients the body needs for health - I see barely any fruit and veg, dairy, oily fish, mineral rich foods like beans and lentils ...
  • Snowbunny95
    Snowbunny95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough. 1200 is the minimum calories. That is for daily living, breathing and brain function. Bump up to 1200 calories and make sure you get some veggies and fruits in there. Protein will help with the exhaustion.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No, its not normal. Green in your diary means eat.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Whoaaaa...you are eating too little!!!

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the posts.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • Shabbyrose
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do eat lots of veg and some fruit on my meals. I know this is stupid, but I'm scared of fruit. If I eat fruit I'm always over on sugar. To me excess sugar = fat.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Most people go over on their sugars, I know I do every single day. Don't worry about the natural sugars in fruits, it's the processed ones that you need to moderate. Eating fruit is way better than eating pastries.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do eat lots of veg and some fruit on my meals. I know this is stupid, but I'm scared of fruit. If I eat fruit I'm always over on sugar. To me excess sugar = fat.
    Looks like your afraid to eat as well.
  • UKRaven75
    UKRaven75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to eat! I would be more afraid not to! eat plenty of fruit etc. Natural Sugars = GOOD sugars, keep a balance and go through a MINIMUM of 1200 Cals, dieting is to make you healthier and feel better about yourself NOT to make you ill and feel depressed!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

look for the "in place of a road map" thread, that tells you how to calculate how many calories you're burning each day. For fat loss, eat 20% fewer calories than this. You will not gain weight from eating either sugar or fat, so long as you eat fewer calories than you're burning each day. 20% fewer should result in slow and steady fat loss which is sustainable (i.e. you won't pile it all back on again, which is what happens when you eat too few calories then go back to eating a normal amount)

Think about it this way, when losing weight, if you want to keep the weight off, you have to eat that way for the rest of your life. If you are in the mind set of going on a diet to lose the weight quickly, then returning back to your old eating habits, you'll slow your metabolism and the fat will pile back on again, usually with some extra as well. So it's better to eat more (but not more than your TDEE) each day, lose the fat slowly, so that you are eating a decent amount of food, and not feeling hungry and miserable all the time, and not depriving yourself, so you can stick to the same healthy eating habits and the same amount of food for life. This method not only works for fat loss, it works for maintenance as well (in fact you even eat more for maintenance, i.e. eating all your TDEE calories) and there are many, many people who lost fat and kept it off this way on this site, including me.

Fat loss is very simple, so long as you're eating fewer calories than you burn off (i.e. below your TDEE number) you will lose fat. So long as it's not too much less than your TDEE and you're including a wide range of healthy foods and enough protein then you'll stay healthy in the process and find maintaining your new weight a LOT easier. Anyway, the road map thread explains it in more detail.
  • Shabbyrose
    Options
    Wow! Just finished reading the revised road map thread! My gosh now I feel so stupid! My BMR is 1789 my TDEE is around 2452. At my goal weight I can eat 1592 doing very little activity.

I know I'm not the first and definitely won't be the last to think that not reaching my daily calorie goal is a good thing. This is where I have gone wrong on every single diet I've been on. Under eating thinking that's going to get me where I need to go. How wrong was I? What an eye opener! My attitude is certainly changing. A week of under 1000 calories made me anxious and weepy. I can't imagine making that mistake for a year or more like some people have.

This week I'm going to aim for 1200, which is probably still a bit too low. But, I will see how I feel and what the scales say next week.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

no.

you are the victim of a lot of intentional misinformation directed at you by charlatans and scammers trying to make a quick buck in the weight loss industry.

you can never have too much fruit in your diet, unless of course you sit down and eat a couple of hundred apples in one sitting!

eat.

food is fuel for your body.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just finished reading the revised road map thread! My gosh now I feel so stupid! My BMR is 1789 my TDEE is around 2452. At my goal weight I can eat 1592 doing very little activity.

I know I'm not the first and definitely won't be the last to think that not reaching my daily calorie goal is a good thing. This is where I have gone wrong on every single diet I've been on. Under eating thinking that's going to get me where I need to go. How wrong was I? What an eye opener! My attitude is certainly changing. A week of under 1000 calories made me anxious and weepy. I can't imagine making that mistake for a year or more like some people have.

This week I'm going to aim for 1200, which is probably still a bit too low. But, I will see how I feel and what the scales say next week.

A sane voice. I love it when people take on board good advice and act on it. For some strange reason there's a lot of people on here that insist on sticking to less than 1200 cals daily, and will not listen to any advice that contradicts their views that sucessful weight loss has to equate with severely restricting calorie intake.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Whoaaaa...you are eating too little!!!

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the posts.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.

↑ This.
  • Shabbyrose
    Options

A sane voice. I love it when people take on board good advice and act on it. For some strange reason there's a lot of people on here that insist on sticking to less than 1200 cals daily, and will not listen to any advice that contradicts their views that sucessful weight loss has to equate with severely restricting calorie intake.

I've actually gone 30 calories over today, and I'm okay with that. My tea wasn't the healthiest, but it's what everyone else was having. Judging by the calculations for the next 5 weeks when you finish your diary was around 3 pounds more than it was on less calories. I realised now eating to little is far too counter productive. Would've also lost a lot of muscle that I want to keep too.

I've learned an important lesson today; skinny people love food too!
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bravo Shabbyrose. It is impossible to learn what we think we alreday know. Go for you for being willing to learn, adjust, and grow. Keep up the good work.:drinker: