Scars & six packs... possible?!

Options
I have Crohn's disease and had surgery a couple years ago to try and control the flares... it left a good 6 inch DEEP scar on my abdominals. Starts at my belly button and goes straight down. Is it possible to have flat abs or maybe even some definition with that severe of a scar?

Replies

• seskovich
    Options
    as far as abs go it would depend on how much they got cut during the surgery. You could have a flat stomach regardless, if you have a low body fat percentage. the only way to really figure out how much definition you could get is to do ab exercises and see the results after some time.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I can't see why the scar would keep you from having a six pack.
    A six pack is based on the muscle under the skin and the amount of adipose tissue between those two things.
    If you develop those abdominal muscles and drop the body fat low enough, you should have a six pack.
  • sbodi88
    sbodi88 Posts: 18
    Options
    I can't see why the scar would keep you from having a six pack.
    A six pack is based on the muscle under the skin and the amount of adipose tissue between those two things.
    If you develop those abdominal muscles and drop the body fat low enough, you should have a six pack.

They cut thru the muscle, down to the intestines... thats why i'm discouraged :(
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They cut thru the muscle, down to the intestines... thats why i'm discouraged :(

Your abs are still intact and you can still have a flat stomach with visible abs (along with some visible scar tissue, but tell people kick *kitten*, back alley, knife fight stories).

The rules to get a flat stomach remain the same for you. Shed bodyfat via diet and exercise and the stomach you want can still be yours.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    if women who have had c sections can get a flat belly, so can you. No matter how much muscle they cut through,. they sewed it back up when they were done. At the worst, you might have a thin line down your belly. Exercise like you never had the surgery, and you should be able to achieve the abs you want.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My son had pyloric stenosis as an infant, so had a scar that split an ab muscle. As a result, he now has a seven-pack. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I suspect it is very possible for you.
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i've had my galbladder out and I have several small circular scars that go all the way down to my guts.
    As i trim down, i'll just tell people i got shot ;)
  • jrivera919
    Options
    i was just looking for answers regarding the scar after chrones disease. its nice to know im not the only person who worries about these things. how have you been doing with your flare ups? i had my sergery when i was 14 and i am now 23. i have a couple minore flare ups every year but not nearly as painful as they were when i was first diagnosed. to everyone who responded, thank you so much for the words of inspiration. i was being told that i would never be able to achieve six pack abs.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered what a scar I have the length of my abdomen (where my ribcage meets all the way down) from when I had lymph nodes removed 12+ years ago. Only time will tell for me.....
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The classic 6 pack ab muscles are actually above your belly button, they start at the ribs and end at the belly button. I wouldn't worry about a scar below your belly button tbh. If its a nice straight line it might even give the illusion of an 8 pack that some people have. (I say illusion because its not really an 8 pack)