giving up soda (2+ltr a day addiction) !!

Options
Hi all.
so i have come to realise i MUST give up my 2 (sometimes more) ltr a day coca cola addiction. and when i say addicted i mean it. like when i dont have it i get terrible withdrawal symptoms, headaches,irritable and all the rest. i even cried last time i tried.
has anyone else been through it??
How did you succeed and what with?
Did you cut down or just cut it out.
i know thats mainly my weight problem too its just so hard!

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Cut down slowly. It will make the withdrawals easier. I used to drink a lot of pop and the first week was the worst. After that eveything got easier. Now I can't remember the last time I had it.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are giving up sodas because of calories...

You could try getting caffeine pills to help wean yourself. It can help with the headache and you can step-down the dosage gradually while giving up the sugar and calories cold-turkey.
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 128 to 266 oz of coke a day when I drove truck.That was 2-4 64 oz cups of it. Yes that equates to 1-2 gallons A DAY!!! Gee, why did I weigh 345-375?? I had withdrawl symptoms also. And yes it is an addiction. I slowed down my drinking then switched to diet coke then coke zero. Problem is that there is a lot of research now that indicates that sugar substitutes can increase craving for sugar. The headaches are caused by caffeine withdrawl. You can maintain the caffeine intake through tea, coffee or even no-doz. What I use now is something called Hellfire capsules. It contains caffeine and othe herbal ingrediantys that fires up the metabolism. I will cycle between Hellfire and Lipodreme (either yellow and black one) to keep my body from adapting to them. I don't get jittery from them, but some people do. Only you will know for yourself. I buy mine at the nutrition shop. $35-45 per bottle depending where you are. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. I rarely get headaches, and when I do it is ususually from idiots at work.:laugh: So either cut back 1 can/bottle/cup a day for a week, then cut out another can/bottle/cup per day until you are weaned off, or go cold turkey and replace the caffeine with another source. It is worth it. The cravings will subside. Now when I have a coke it feels thick and syrupy. The diet and coke zero now just taste nasty. Good luck. Add me if you wish and I'll try to encourage you in your fight.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking Diet Coke right after watching Hungry for Change documentary. They say the **** kills brain cells! Frig that!
  • bruks91
    bruks91 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Finger crossed i can do it this time for good.
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    Replace it with ICE COLD water, you can add green tea, lemon or a flavor if needed.
  • djdube525
    djdube525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I ended up cutting cold turkey soon after Christmas. I'd often have 5-6 20oz Coke Zeros at work... Followed by a couple glasses of some diet beverage at night. Personally, weening off never worked for me... I'd eventually get a craving and cave. In my mind its much easier to think in terms of zero soda versus 1 or 2... Well maybe just today Ill have a third.

Headaches were bad for the first couple of days.. Ibuprofen helped during that time.

One big benefit that I found... In a bout a week of quitting, I was sleeping much better. Previously, I'd wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep and struggle to get mor in. I'm now getting a nice solid 7 hours of un-interrupted sleep.

Hope that helps...

-DD
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke last March. I used to drink at least a 6 pack or more a day. It was the worst addiction I've ever had, and believe me, I've had several. All I could think about was Diet Coke for about a week and then I still got cravings for about 2 months. I have had a couple now but I don't keep it at home and only have 1 per week or so. I am kind of slipping out of convenience because I dislike drinking water and sometimes when I go out to eat, there's just Diet Coke or sugar pop (soda).

I say go cold turkey and be prepared to obsess for a while.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm stepping down from my diet Dr Pepper addiction. I wean off diet Coke when I was preggers 7 years ago, but the allure of cold carbonated caffeine drew me back in. Take it slow. Use a caffeine replacement until you get yourself free of the "soda" addiction and then wean off the caffeine. It's my playbook this time, anyway! Good luck!!
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is the only thing that works for me. And hold yourself accountable, you know, like they do with workplace signs that say "x days since an accident." 5 days since a coke, 10 days, etc., etc. Pretty soon you will forget what it tastes like and you won't want it anymore. I have gone cold turkey since December 28 (and that's only because my husband bought a sprite at the movies). I can honestly say I don't want it. Make sure you always have access to ice cold water!
  • souzouchan
    Options

so i have come to realise i MUST give up my 2 (sometimes more) ltr a day coca cola addiction. and when i say addicted i mean it. like when i dont have it i get terrible withdrawal symptoms, headaches,irritable and all the rest. i even cried last time i tried.
    has anyone else been through it??
    How did you succeed and what with?
    Did you cut down or just cut it out.
    i know thats mainly my weight problem too its just so hard!

Funny story on how I stopped drinking tons of pop. It was always in my house growing up so I drank it when it was in the fridge. Then I moved out and on my own, to another province entirely. One day a few months later I realized "Wow, I haven't drank pop since I moved!" It felt great!

Mind you that doesn't work for everyone.

You might be better off making small substitutions to help with coping with the change from pop all of the time to eventually none. Someone suggested green tea, that's a great idea. For the sweet fix, try healthy things like fruits.
  • khackey
    khackey Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What about trying to occasionally substitute something like club soda or sparkling water, carbonation might trick your brain sometimes. I like a splash of lime sometimes.
  • stantheman36
    stantheman36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    use to do 4-6 2-litter bottles a day . I quit after one night of waking up at 3 in the morning and running out to the store... I just had a small glass every few hours and decreased over a week or so.
    I never thought I would be a sparkling water drinker but now I make my own with a soda stream don't even like coke or Pepsi now. I add fresh fruit juice to my sparkling water.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and you can make it! I used to drink 2-32 oz diet cokes every day; PLUS at least a 6 pack of Coke 0 a day. I quit cold turkey on December 3. I had an awful headache the first 2 days. They eased up as time went on. I am proud to say I have only drank water and a little sweet tea (I am from the south) since then. YOU can do it! Add me as your friend.
  • LadyScot101
    LadyScot101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on 3-8 12 oz cans of Dr Pepper. I get major migraines when I tried to switch to diet. My Dr said I was allergic to artificial sweeteners in diet drinks. He said to switch to water & decaf iced tea. I missed the "thickness" of soda. I cave. I'm trying to get to at least maybe 2-3 cans a day & then aim for one. Maybe some day I'll be able to totally get off it. My Dr said one a day is not a bad thing, but to lose weight I needed to get off it.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    First, let me say - Good for you!
    I went from 2 liters a day to zero, I transitioned by drinking green and black tea (ones that had fruit in them like lipton red raspberry and goji). That was 6 1/2 months ago. By using the green and black teas I didn't go through the caffeine withdrawals (I put myself through that too many times). It's the longest I've ever gone without sodas. I started in high school (that was almost 25 plus years ago) so if I can do it ANYONE can.
    You are welcome to ask my any other questions you have.

God bless,
    Karen
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Finger crossed i can do it this time for good.
    You can! Even if you were to slip, just get back up and start again!

God bless,
    Karen
  • bruks91
    bruks91 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wow! Its suprising at how many ppl this stuff has got hooked. from reading all the comments first i say thanks evry1 and im just gonna go for it, im gna clear the house of any and go for it! If it works, thats brill! Again thanks
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I too had a huge Coca Cola addiction. It started when I quit smoking and that was a big factor in my rapid weight gain. I stopped drinking it by slowly cutting down and instead of a can of coke I'd have a bottle of water. I remember the caffeine headaches were brutal. It was almost harder to quit drinking coke then it was to quit smoking but I managed. Good luck!!

Paul
  • wdwgirl3
    wdwgirl3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey almost 8 years ago. I use to drink 4-5 cans of sprite a day, sometimes more. Now the only time I drink pop/ soda is when there is rye in it. Lol I am not a drinker, so maybe a drink once every one or two months. One thing I can tell you is that you will feel so much better when you cut the crap out of your diet! I just drink green tea in the morning and night and tons of water thru the day. I crave water now! Best feeling ever:) good luck and just say don't buy the stuff :)