the sugar in fruit

Options
I keep going over my daily goal for sugar consumption, but the majority of my sugar comes from fruits like raisins, bananas, blueberries or strawberries. How bad is this?

Replies

• hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Better than if it was all coming from cola or sweets! I think that so long as it's not taking over your calorie goal then you're doing ok. How many portions of fruit a day are you eating?
    Helen.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I know I didn't get fat because of the sugar in fruit maybe the sugar in cookies i don't worry about the sugar in my fruit
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    still got the cals but is a different type of carbohydrate. It is not refined so not absorbed so quickly into bloodstream. Still rots your teeth - more acidic. Cannot say that you should not eat fruit! Fruit better than biscuit or chocolate bar.

Just keep tabs on overall cals or you wont lose weight
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic I was worried about fruit sugars...they haven't hurt me at all and I go over quite a few times.
  • Durginal
    Durginal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay - cool. Thanks for your thoughts people. I should have a good idea after about 5 weeks - will report back!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to my sugar and it has never done me wrong. better a banana then a candy bar right? ;-)
  • amazinglywell
    Options
    Agree with everyone above, except I would say to watch portions on raisins. Easy to eat too much as they are dried fruit without the water volume...so your stomach does send the full signal even if you've eaten a lot of calories of them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I keep going over my daily goal for sugar consumption, but the majority of my sugar comes from fruits like raisins, bananas, blueberries or strawberries. How bad is this?

On scale from 1-10, where 10 is the worst, it's a 0.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't pay attention to the sugar on here. I get all my sugars from fruits or veggies. The only real processed sugar in my meals are from my coffee creamer right now. And once I use up this bottle I am going to the sugar free anyway.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I track added sugar, not natural sugars. Of course, I have to actually do math to do this b/c MFP doesn't get that technical, but it's not that hard.

Here's a good page from the American Heart Association that breaks it down.
    For most women, they recommend that you limit added sugar intake to 6 teaspoons (about 100 calories) per day.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

Good luck!
    Jen
  • Durginal
    Durginal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the citation Jen!