yet another thread about running...

Replies

• phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Just re-read your mother's comment... "Need a runner's body"... How does she think that runners get that body? By hard work and putting in the kms/miles. Sounds like something my mother would say. Maybe well meaning, but completely uninformed.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Hi everybody. Relatively new here and I have been contemplating running. I just text my mother to tell her and her response was " I wouldn't recommend hon, orthopedics say too hard on joints. Not good for overeight, need runner's body. Sorry, just what I've heard. Walking is better"......smh.

I am 5'6 and 198 pounds. She is usually very encouraging so I am kind of pissed at her response.

How hard is it on your joints ?

Your thoughts and encouragement please.

I have heard from more reputable sources (a doctor i once saw) that obesity is worse on your joints.
  • mdyorston
    mdyorston Posts: 158
    Just re-read your mother's comment... "Need a runner's body"... How does she think that runners get that body? By hard work and putting in the kms/miles. Sounds like something my mother would say. Maybe well meaning, but completely uninformed.

Exactly ! As to your other post, I don't have any kind of joint issues but my shins did hurt a little just running back from taking out the trash
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    You need to stretch properly before (and after) running, have proper and supporting shoes, do a proper warm up (don't just go straight into jogging/running), do a proper cool down, drink plenty of water before, after (and during) running and run on a flat surface until you have built up enough muscles to be able to support all your joints properly (before running on uneven surfaces). Failing to do these things will cause shin pain.

Even if you don't have joint issues, the rest of my first post still applies. It is just amplified if you do have existing joint issues.

ETA: You are only 90 kg. You weigh less than me. You are not too heavy to run. But if you've never run before, you need to ease into it.
  • Agreeing with (pretty much) everyone. I'm doing Week 1 Day 2 of C25K tomorrow!
  • i started running at 192 lbs! if you can walk for 3 miles fine then you are ready to add running in your walking routine. add 1 minute intervals for every 5 min that you walk, as an example. start slowly. You can do it!! Just make sure you do not run everyday!!! Rest in between. Best of success. Do not listen to anyone but your own body. Ok. Take care
  • hoss8640
    hoss8640 Posts: 3 Member
    I am close to 285 and just ran 5mi this afternoon. Being overweight doesn't have to mean you can't run. Follow C25K, go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of running shoes!! Very important!! Also read Running for Mortals, very good book and very informative.
  • mdyorston
    mdyorston Posts: 158
    I have heard from more reputable sources (a doctor i once saw) that obesity is worse on your joints.
    [/quote]

my thoughts exactly (and I am not a doctor lol)
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    RUN BABY RUN! Just take it SLOW and do not get discouraged. Try finding a running group or training group for a race near your. It will help you meet people and being in a training group will give you tips.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    If done properly can't be worse than being overweight!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Just start slow. I saw a program (no wasn't biggest loser), can't recall the name, but saw a 250 pound girl run a 5k. Yes, run the whole thing. Took her a year of training, but she did it. It will be all about how bad you want it and how much you are willing to sacrifice to reach that goal.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    If I had a nickel for every time I've heard someone say running is bad for your joints, I would have retired a while ago. Orthos say so? Not the ones I've seen.

Start out on a walk/run program (like couch to 5k like folks are recommending). You'll be fine unless you have some underlying joint problem. And if you don't like it, you can do something else, but don't let someone else decide for you.

I'm a "runner" but I do an awful lot of walking. Walking is great for the body and brain!
  • Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    If your mother was a runner, she wouldnt have answered you in that way. Run, run like you stole it..You will feel like a million 5 and on the days you dont feel like running, think about how your Mom said you couldnt do it, and kick butt. There are tons of sites out there to ease you into it. Make sure you have quality sneakers though. Most important. And enjoy it!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Come and join us on the dark side, where endorphin rushes are our drug and you feel awesome and alive every day.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I'm 5'7" and 190, I started running at 238. If you want to try it, try it!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    I'd agree with everyone else...if you have known joint issues, definitely talk to a doctor, but otherwise, go for it! I started C25K last year at 270 and once I got myself a good pair of running shoes I didn't have any other issues. So...take it slow with something like C25k, DEFINITELY get yourself fitted for a good pair of shoes, and set small goals...if things start hurting, reassess...if they don't, prove your mom wrong!
  • basenjisbm
    basenjisbm Posts: 5 Member
    start slow and use a process of walk/run to build up to it. Jeff Galloway is an expert on this technique. He says anyone can run, but you have to build up to it over time. Your joints and ligaments respond to training and strengthen. You have to listen to your body though.

Here is Jeff Galloway's site. He gives lots of info and training programs to get you started: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

Best of luck!! I am in training and will be right there with you later this year.
  • emb369
    emb369 Posts: 13 Member
    Personally, if you want to run than run. Investing in real running shoes will help and starting with a walking/running interval plan will help.

If I waited to start running until I got a "runner's body" I would never have signed up for my first 5k, 10k or half marathon. My third half is next week. Ready to tackle even more in 2013. Running is still hard but I love it. And btw, I still do not have a "runner's body."
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Actually it's just the opposite - running helps prevent joint problems. It strengthens joints and increases bone density. As long as you don't do too much too soon. C25K is ultra conservative and designed for Everyman.

With that being said, if you have a pre existing condition or already have some joint issues you can easily aggrevate them with running. So as long as you're not fighting joint issues already you should be good to go.
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Echoing the support for C25k. Started running at 227# with "bad knees", partly congenital and partly due to hauling my big *kitten* around for 20yrs. Running has made the muscles surrounding my knees stronger and I have STRONGER joints and LESS pain as a result! First 5k @ 218# and first 10-miler last fall @ 187#. Will do a Half Mara this spring and won't be substantially less than that. Running has changed my life forever!

Sometimes we're meant to listen to our mothers and others we are not. THIS is one of those times! Now get running!!!