Need help with my new blender!

Options
I just opened the box, took it out and washed it but it has this very strong new plastic odor almost like a new fridge, gross! (The whole blender is plastic and not glass, due to I break things all the time!) I've washed it a bunch of times and it isn't getting any better, any advice? I wanted to make some smoothies but I'm not sure if it'll come out smelling/tasting like plastic too, lol.

Replies

• ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try blending a few lemon peels (or orange or lime) to get rid of the plastic fumes. If that doesn't work leave the blender out until the smell subsides - outside is best so your whole place won't smell like plastic too.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I got a new blender and I didnt have this problem. Maybe it is defective.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a new machine as well... no smell whatsover. Check to be sure your container is BPA free and I agree with the poster who suggested citrus. You may also want to try vinegar or a combo of the two. When you washed it, did you wash by hand? If so, you may want to try filling it 1/2 way with hot water, adding a drop of dish soap and then running on high for a minute.

Hope it helps.

I use my machine daily... often times multiple times a day!
  • jessiefreshh
    jessiefreshh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The smell just reminds me of some new that's plastic. Like new plastic ware. I'm not sure if its BPA free, I have like 10 days to return it though, maybe I'll look for a different one. Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay under $50.. Since I'll only use it once or twice a week.
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use my kitchenaid blender daily, so I think I spent around $100 on it. It was worth it for me - I have a green smoothie with my oatmeal for breakfast, I make my own orange juice and other juices (don't even notice the pulp and it tastes so much better) and tomorrow I'm trying to make my own almond milk from recipies I found online. Mine is also plastic, but no smell.

Is it the pitcher, or is it the base that reeks?
    Definitely try blending lemon rinds in there, that helps get rid of smells. Also try a mix of hot water, dish soap, and baking soda blended on low power (I do this once a week to keep mine looking new).

Otherwise, I would return it. If it doesn't wash off, it's going into your food.