Newbie - Over 40 and looking for support

Options
Hello

My name is Melissa and I have 3 kids - 12, 10 and 2. Although I have always been overweight, I am the heaviest I have ever been. Looking to get to a healthy, curvy weight. Have no desire to be a toothpick. I have a thyroid problem so that adds to my problem with losing weight. Looking for encouragement in my journey.

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello & Welcome to MFP!!
  • road2goal
    road2goal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa. I'm 11 days in on this site so fairly new myself. I'm 44 and have an 8 year old and a 55 year old (hubby). Sometimes it's like having 2 children. Many women can relate to that. Lol! I like the site so far. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • lcolpo
    lcolpo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey Melissa! I'm Lindy and am 51 years old. I have two kids 14 and 11. I did this two years ago to get fit for turning 50 - which was successful, but I've gained my weight back. Looking this time to take it off and keep it off. Went back to the gym today for the first time for what I hope will become an everyday occurance!
  • curvycarrie
    curvycarrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hi girls, 42 here...3 kids, and battling the buldge...(story of my life)..im new here also...really liking it so far, would definitly welcome more friends for encouragment...good luck everyone!
  • angazaa
    Options
    Hi Melissa, I'm Crystal and I'm 3 days in. I'm 48 years old with 3 children, 21, 13 and 4. After my 3rd child, I realized that my metabolism isn't what it used to be. I was active up until my second child, then learned to drive and that was the end. I just want to get out of my pregnancy one piece bathing suit and back into a bikini, which I know is a stretch. Forgot to mention, I love junk food, not sweets but salt - chips and fast food. I've never really dieted before the last 4 years but now know that we all need help and encouragement. I just want to let you know that I am here to support you :smile:
  • Mom2Jakob
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys. Looking to lose over 100 pounds. Going to take it one day at a time - think I can, think I can.
  • phillyb2013
    phillyb2013 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi girls, I am 55 and growing up I never had a weight problem...after my two children ( now 23 and 26) I gained and loss and now I am at the heaviest I have ever been....trying to get to 150 lbs where I will be within my healthy BMI. Good luck everyone :-) Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :-)
  • MaxsMomTN
    MaxsMomTN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa, welcome to MFP. I'm new here as well, only been on this site for a week. I can't say enough about the tools online, if you honestly track your food and exercise, this site can really help you out. Lots of supportive people as well, and that helps. You will reach your goal, just take it one day at a time, its not a race, but a journey. And you are among some good company! :smile:
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    HI there! I've been faithfully logging for a little over a year. This is such a great place to be for support and asking questions and just general knowing that others are in the same boat! I'm 43, and I have an 11-year-old and 8-year-old, and as someone else stated another child (hubs, age 42). I'd love to be able to support eachother!
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    DefluffinMyStuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! :flowerforyou: I'm 40 and we have about the same amount to lose. Feel free to add me!:drinker:
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Turning 41 in a few days. Feel free to add me, as well! I just came back after joining a year ago but I have been sticking with it this time and faithful to my food diary. Just started walking, too.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. Good luck in your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new on here too.....you can add me as a support system if you'd like.

cheers,

Mia
  • DMV_Spicegirl
    Options
    Hi Melissa im Ursula im 47 and in need of a support system to help as i tackle 100lbs. Please add me im newly active on the site this year. Anyone else is also welcome to add me.. good luck to all
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa! I'm Melissa too! 2 kids, both teenagers and I'll be 45 this month! I've been on MFP for 8 or 9 months. I don't log my food every day, I've gotten to where I know what most of my meals will be in terms of calories, but I do log into the site daily and would love to offer support, feel free to add me!
  • LJSchmitt
    LJSchmitt Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. This is the first time I have stuck with a healthy lifestyle in my many years on this planet --- it is due to MFP friends! You will love them.

So, Welcome!
  • jaipai
    jaipai Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm Melanie, 45, 3 kids - 17, 15, 11! I'd never had a problem with weight until I turned 40 and I have put on 13 kgs in 5 years. Desperate to get rid of it now! Have been logging on to this site for over a year, stick at it for a while, then lose the willpower and go back to eating and drinking the wrong things. I'm determined to stick at it now. Love reading everyone's posts! It gives me encouragement!
  • jeffsweightloss
    jeffsweightloss Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    welcome. you've made a positive 1st step...sometimes that's the hardest part. best wishes on your journey. yes, you CAN do this. set small goals, reach them and then set another one. there will be bad days, but know that there will be many more good days. you must enjoy this journey or you will not be happy with it. you must stay positive...and use your friends for motivation and support. this site is great...and has many tools to help you succeed. i just joined the beginning of the year. i've made a lot of progress and i'm happy so far. you're investing in your future. make it work for you so you can truly enjoy the rewards. the bigger your circle of friends, the stronger you will become. we all need motivation and support. once again, welcome! if you ever have questions, just ask. i log in daily to track my food and exercise.
  • mepiniowa
    mepiniowa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi!! this is the best app ever if you are honest with yourself in terms of measuring everything you eat and recording it. its eye-opening to finally understand we (of a certain age...52!...) simply cannot eat the stuff we did when younger, we can look at it, remember it, but cant eat it if we want to be healthy weight and energy level. yes, julia child said everything in moderation, but i doubt she was referring to kfc or doritos!! good luck and stay true to you... you are important here in this day by day journey.
  • Clemsonmom
    Clemsonmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome everyone! Please anyone can add me as a friend. I have been on this journey for awhile and still need to lose about 50 more pounds. We all need any encouragement we can get. I enjoy being able to share the new low calorie foods and recipes. The men at work all think my chilli beans smell WONDERFUL and they want me to bring them for lunch one day. I enjoy my chicken pot pie that will fill your plate for 281 calories for a serving and the pan makes 4 servings.