breastfeeding and weight loss possible ?

Options
hi, I'm new here :)
I have 3 boys my last 2 I had back to back pretty much they are 23 months apart. my youngest will be 1 year next month. I still nurse him. So I have been really trying to lose my extra weight I put on from my past 2 pregnancies, probably around the first to middle part of december. I haven't been counting calories or anything but went from eating lots of fast food, junk food and whatever, also in large portions to eating health all whole grain or wheat, fruit,veggies, eggs, all the right types of foods. I've also been adding in workouts cardio and strength training, I have also just started seeing a trainer the last 2 weeks. (whos not helped me as much as I thought)
I had been slowly losing weight but since I really started to try I haven't been able to lose much,I had been losing then gained back 2 lbs of what I lost for no reason, and It has been almost 2 weeks and I haven't been able to get down anymore. I need to lose about 35 lbs to get back to my pre pre pregnancy weight. I don't know how many calories to eat since I am nursing, andhow much exercise I should do etc, I really have a high body fat percentage and would like to make it alot smaller. but I know I have been making a large calorie defect via workout and eating better so what gives :(

Replies

• Kaynate
    Options
    I'm not much help but I do know that if your not eating back the calories from working out and breastfeeding your body will start to hold onto your fat because it thinks its needing to stockpile your fat to continue making milk since your not getting enough calories in the first place. I eat approx 2000 Cal a day and and usually takes about 500 Cal a day to breastfeed exclusively
  • nikkit3
    nikkit3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    so I should be eating back thoes calories I work off, to lose weight ?
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    For breast feeding, you need a minimum of about 1600 calories a day intake, you may be able to get away with less since you're not ebf/nursing a newer baby. For a toddler you can search foods for "breastfeeding" and many options will come up. Pick one around 200 calories to add. You should be eating back your calories you're working off. Maybe you're burning fat and adding muscle from working out at the gym?
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    I'm EBF a 4.5 month old. I eat no less than 1800 calories a day. MFP gives me 2090 to lose 2lbs a week and I give myself an additional 300 for breastfeeding. I don't usually eat that many. I've lost 9.5lbs in the last few weeks and my supply is fine. You can always add in some galactagogs(oatmeal, brewers yeast, flax, etc) to use up some of your calories and that may help keep supply up. Your body is going to want to hang on to some fat stores because its needed to make milk. Dont expect to lose it all while still nursing. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! I'm certified in breastfeeding community training :)
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    there is a group on here for breast feeding mums. i breast fed and lost weight. i would say 1800 is a good starting point plus add cals for feeding and exercising. you need fuel to be a mum.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i EBF for 15 months. my appetite was ravenous while BFing and to be frank, i think it is suppose to be. i found it difficult to lose weight while BFing bc i was just hungry ALL THE TIME. I eventually just decided to focus on eating healthy food while BFing and to lose weight after BFing. i am now no longer hungry 24/7 like i was while BFing.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    sorry i was interrupted when i was writing my as reply. its hard to know how many cals you should be eating - all depends on your height, weight, your normal daily activity. you really do need to eat though. and eat all your exercise cals back. i used to log breast feeding as a cardio burn, i think there is an exercise for it. if you join the breast feeding group they will have all the latest and greatest. it takes time for the weight to come off. it took time to put it on, now you have the added stress of 3 little boys, your hormones have been adjusted to cope with feeding and motherhood, you are probably not getting enough sleep, which plays a huge role in weight loss. try to focus on the change not on the result you want. acknowledge all good change, be it with the tape measure or a healthier way of eating. it took me 12 years to get to my pre baby weight but my body was a different shape. now its taken me 12mths to learn to love the new shape, before i was just skinny, had a lower bf% but that was because i was so skinny. now i am a healthy 40yo mother of 5. i am fitter then i have ever been and on a good day, i dont look to bad ;) embrace your battle scars, relax and give yourself time. you will get there :)