When to start running?

Options
I am currently 343lbs, been a member for a while on MFP. I decided I have to make a change for my family and myself. I have been doing really good on my calorie counting and have been exercising for the past week pretty hard I have been been walking and doing my fitness coach on the Wii. I want to start running, but i am not sure if I should wait until i get my weight down. I don't want it to be to hard on my knees and feet. Any advise is appreciated! Feel free to add me

Thanks

Replies

• jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Walking and lifting. Walk at good pace and walk a lot of hills. walking up hills is amazing excercise. I dont run much anymore cause I always seem to get injured. I walk hills and lift weights. lifting weights has dropped the most weight though. Lift those weights and walk those hills is my motto.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Difficult to say as every situation is different. My high weight was 280, but i waited to run for the same reasons you are considering waiting. I also had a history of knee and lower leg problems. I walked and jumped rope until i lowered my weight and built a better foundation in my lower body.

If you want to run and don't have joint problems, I'm not going to stop you. I will recommend you keep it as low impact as possible. No pavement. Treadmill if you have access. Sand. Grass. Padded track. Something like that. Stay in tune with your body and stop when you need to.

Good luck.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started at a similar weight and did mostly walking so i wouldn't abuse my knees. I then added the elliptical with a full body lifting routine. I started with 10 minutes elliptical, one set of lifting and then 10 minutes of elliptical. I increased each week by adding a couple minutes to the elliptical and more sets and heavier weights.

When I got down to 270'ish i started doing couch to 5k and now I am training for my first half marathon.

Good luck with program!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing deal. Keep walking, but when you feel inclined, maybe run a block and see how it feels. Don't try to go fast, run even slower than you think possible- more like a shuffle to start. Do a block, and don't push it to do more. See how that feels afterwards and the next day, if your joints are sore after just a little running, it's a good sign that you're not ready yet. I can't stress enough though, just do a little and wait to decide how you feel for like 24-hrs. Joint pain does not always give immediate feedback.

At the same time, I would strongly encourage getting started on a strength program. Balanced strength, predominantly between your quads and hamstrings, is one of the BEST protection methods for your knees. The muscles around the hips protect the hips, etc. Getting strong, in a safe manner with strict adherence to proper form, is the best thing you can do for your joints, and will ultimately allow you to run with minimized injury risk.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I second everything MoreBeans says .. I was your weight and jogging successfully for awhile until my ankles/knees started hurting from it and I had to stop because I apparently just wasn't ready and it wasn't right away it took like a week before I started feeling that pain. I've also known people at this weight or bigger jogging and loving it and getting no pain and they have dropped a lot of weight from it. It's really just how your body can handle it.

Good luck!
  • krista195
    krista195 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.runforlife.ca/running-programs/training-regimens/learn-to-run/
    Try this link. I've had a few friends do simular programs with great success. If you are running just to lose the weight try super sets and combo weight training ( I'm doing that now). It gives some great cardio as well as muscle builting for calorie burning and resculpting; I hate running but may take it up in the summer just to mix up the cardio and to be outside. GOOD LUCK!!
  • basenjisbm
    basenjisbm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    check out Jeff Galloway. Many training programs are based upon his teachings. You can start out really slow as in 20 seconds of running, 5 minutes of walking, then repeat the cycle for a total of about 30 minutes. Every 7 days increase the duration of running by about 3 to 5 seconds. No matter what a person weighs, their body (bones, ligaments etc.) go through a transformation when they start running. Get evaluated as to what shoes your need at your local running store before you begin, Listen to your body, you are in this for the long haul. You can be a runner!

Here is Jeff Galloway's site: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html
  • sccjammin
    sccjammin Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise.