Slow Cooker Calories?

Options
I got a slow cooker for Christmas and made pulled chicken in it the other day. I initially calculated the calories with all the ingredients in full, but then I got to thinking that there was a LOT of liquid still in the cooker that I did not use. I just took the chicken out and left the liquid. How do you calculate this calorie wise? It had more than on ingredient in the liquid so I couldn't just measure what was left cause it would be of several different things.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No ideas?
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    IF you just ate the chicken, I would add chicken to my log. Hope that helps.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What was in the liquid?
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Unless I use a wet ingredient that has a calorie value (stocks, juices, etc) then I only log the actual food and not the liquid. So if I just used water in the pot, I don't generally log it at all.

But, if you just ate the chicken and nothing else, then why would you log the other stuff? Especially just flavor enhancers have negligible calories, so I generally don't log those either.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The liquid was coke and BBQ sauce as I was making pulled chicken so obviously some of that soaked into the chicken so it 'gave' the chicken more calories. I just don't know how much to count it as.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I would just log all of it so that you overestimate.

It's going to be hard to be super accurate - i mean you're not really going to be able to a composition analysis on the liquid.

Log the meat based on its raw weight.

If you wanted to be really really obsessive over it I guess you could first cook the meat on its own as a test meal and see how much water weight leaked out of the meat as a % of the total raw weight. Then when you cook the meal with sauces you would ROUGHLY know how much of the leftover liquid came out of the meat (of course the presence of the sauces will affect mass transfer to some extent)
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    If this is not a recipe with the calculations given, you will need to create a recipe for it. Simply include ALL ingredients used (solid, liquid, whatever) and then figure out the serving size (whatever you want it to be)... so you'll be eating a fraction of the whole.

I re-read this... I agree with the above poster. To simplify things, just account for all of the ingredients.