Question - Slow Cookers + Meat ?

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
I got a couple of chicken thighs and froze them a few days ago, and decided to just put them right in my slow cooker(only had one for a few weeks and only just started cooking meat for the first time in life as was vegetarian), which is one of the plug in ones, but after searching online, it seems you are supposed to thaw meat out first before cooking in a slow cooker?

Is this true?

Replies

• goofyblonde
    goofyblonde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of recipes where you put the chicken in completely frozen, but it really does depend on the recipe.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. Just takes longer. Try the salsa chicken recipe. Salsa, corn, black beans rinsed. I also add potatoes and onions.
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Its perfectly OK to put meat frozen in the slow cooker As a mater of fact i just did a pork shoulder in the slow cooker yesterday.. Just remember that it may takes a little longer to cook.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - thaw it and sear it off in a pan without any fat. This will develop some nice flavour and also seal the outer skin so that the meat does not disintegrate too much in the pot.

You do not want to risk keeping any of the salmonella alive before putting it into the slow cooker.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - thaw it and sear it off in a pan without any fat. This will develop some nice flavour and also seal the outer skin so that the meat does not disintegrate too much in the pot.

You do not want to risk keeping any of the salmonella alive before putting it into the slow cooker.

Yes, that is what I was worried about, maybe overly cautious, but I would hate to get food poisoning, having had it before from seafood. Just annoying as I basically stuck 2 frozen thighs in the cooker, realised it might be risky and turned the thing off, so those are pretty much wasted now, lol.

No idea what I am doing as I have never made anything with meat in before, was just going to boil them up, add stock and herbs and some vegetables, and have with parsnip and carrot mash.
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking with my slow cooker for over 20 years. I've never thawed my meat before putting it in the slow cooker and never had any problems. I just put the meat, straight from the freezer, in the bottom of the pot and add the rest of the ingredients on top, plug it in and go. That evening I have a wonderful meal with little clean up required. The greatest invention since sliced bread! Btw...I've made the Salsa Chicken recipe an earlier poster noted and it's delicious!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Heat is heat so if anything is going to be killed off in a pan would be killed off in the slow cooker just the same. You are safe to add the meat frozen or not straight in the slow cooker. If you are feeling lazy like I usually am then I don't bother sealing anything off just dump it straight in. Yes maybe a touch less flavour but I've never really noticed the difference.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You can cook from frozen it just takes longer. Some recipes suggest browning or searing the meat.
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    I've only ever put pre-cooked frozen meat in my slow cooker, such as frozen turkey meatballs, etc. Also, if you have a future recipe for ground meat, such as hamburger, ground turkey, etc. it would be wise to brown that first before adding to your slow cooker. Just adding my two cents. :)
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Its perfectly OK to put meat frozen in the slow cooker As a mater of fact i just did a pork shoulder in the slow cooker yesterday.. Just remember that it may takes a little longer to cook.

this