The scale and me

Options
I jump on the scale ....no change or worse still weight gain! Despite doing all I should the number I expect eludes me....and my mood plummets into the doldrums !

(If I lose then I am elated! )

I have tried to stop weighing myself daily but I can't . It is a bad habit which I am failing to break.

In my mind I know of course it could be water retention or better still muscle gain....but I still want that number to go down!

I know I must not be so near sighted.... Yes in theory yet practically that scale really affects me.....

Is anyone facing similar struggles? Has anyone overcome them?

Replies

• lustingforfitness
    Options
    I overcame those fears when I learned my mantra: If you are doing everything right, there is no way you are gaining fat. If that number is higher it's due to water retention, too much sodium or muscle gain. It. Is not. Fat. And if it's not fat, it's not a bad thing.

And now I don't get upset over the scale.

BTW I have been plateaued between 135-140 for the past two months even though I have upped my runs to six miles. Is it still frustrating? Hell yes. But it's just something you need to push through!
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did when I first started trying to lose weight. My mind was so set on the scale number that I weighted myself everyday, scare to eat. At one point, I got scare to exercise too because of the water retention. But after going through the forum and seeing other people's result, especially when they are tone and look healthy, I know that it's just a number. If I get to be tone but weight more than I am now, I am fine with it.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I guess I need to refocus. I am doing the right things! So I cannot surely go the way I was going before!
  • mAnimalMX
    Options
    the scale is the fitness devil! I agree with what was said above... if it's not fat, woohoo! Do you feel better? Can you feel part of your body (literally) and notice the difference in muscle? Because that should help you trick your mind into not caring about the number. Also... I only weigh myself after a long run because a) ya weigh less for a short period of time and b)i feel like a million bucks so if the scale says I gained ten lbs I'm like "whatever I feel like hercules" :D
  • paulamortimer56
    Options
    I had the same problem. I threw away the scale. I know I'm losing because I don't have to suck it in as much when I out on my skinny jeans.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks again. The scale is the Devil! Just found this article which has also helped...:flowerforyou:
    http://thelifestyleguy.co.uk/why-throwing-your-bathroom-scales-out-of-the-window-is-a-really-good-idea/