Im can lose but it wont stay off

Options
In February of 2012, I weighted 165 lbs by June I weighted 150lbs. I have always been on the heavier side and have a very large bone frame. I'm 5'8. So 150 was a really good weight for my height and built. I worked out non stop for 4 months. However, I was always hungry, worn out and irritable. Also as soon as I slacked in workouts or ate more then 1300 calories a day, the weight would start to come back. I couldn't keep up with my strenuous routine forever. So I decide to workout 3 to 4 time a week instead of 8 to 9. Around October, I was back to my old weight and by December I had add another 5 pound making my weight 170 lbs. I recently increased my exercise and reduced calories. I have already lost 3 pounds. I am not concerned about losing the weight.

I would like to know if there are any suggests to keep off the wait without always being hungry and living in the gym?

Replies

• angeldn52
    Options
    I have no advice but wanted you to know that your post lets me know I am not alone in this area. This is what happens to me also. Hopefully someone who has overcome this will give us some good info. Thanks for posting. I feel ashamed t my failure to maintain.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is tough, sometimes tougher than losing. I'm working on it now and it can be tough to figure out how many calories you need to maintain.

Are you absolutely sure about your calorie counting? You should not be gaining on 1300 calories, it makes me wonder if you're underestimating somewhere. If you really gain weight on that small amount you ought to get your thyroid tested and maybe have the test that tells you your BMR. It's expensive but some people find that it's lower than the computer estimate. Are you gaining long term on that amount? Or are you upping your calories, realizing that you gianed a little, and immediately reducing them again?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking faithfully afte you reach your goal. Also, understand that if you quickly up your calories, you may see a slight rebound gain, but it should stop and stabilize. If you lost just 1 lb per week on1300 calories per day, then your maintenance should be around at least 1800. How quickly did you lose before?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Also you should not be hungry, worn out, or irritable while losing weight. That's a sign to me that you're not eating enough or you're eating foods that don't give you a lot of satiety.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Not sure from your profile and your diary is not open, but if you are eating very low calories and especially eating below your BMR to lose weight for any length of time, it will affect and reduce your metabolism. This then means that when you start eating higher calories the weight just immediately comes back on. This is the reason fad diets do not work in the long term.

If you are not doing this, then I have no advice for you other than to seek advice of a nutritionalist. - and please ignore the following advice:

If you have eaten very low calories for a long time and suspect you may have damaged your metabolism, you may have to re-set it by eating at or very close to maintenance calories for a while and then start to reduce again, but only a maximum deficit of 20% off your TDEE and definitely a number above your BMR. You may also put weight on for a short while, but your only alternative would be to continue on a downward spiral eating less and less calories which is not healthy for your body.

ETA - a link to a site that is useful to calculate your BMR and TDEE figures.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging? If so then open your diary and people may be able to help.

Working out 8-9 times per week is NOT neccessary for losing weight, and as you have shown, it is not sustainable.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A 5'8 woman with large+ frame is an ideal weight of 141-159. So you're close! Make sure you're eating enough. There are plenty of links/posts on here to determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and your BMR (base metabolic rate) to help you determine what you should be eating.

With so few to lose, it may take a little longerl

Good luck!
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    im sorta in the same boat. i've noticed changes while eating more protien and lower carb when working. maybe it could help you out too
  • Meoshe1
    Options
    I opened my diary, so please check it out . I have only just started. I like to do 2 days of weight training and 4 cardio exercise in a week. Im also in the military so I am required to workout with my command twice a week. So this week I will do 5 cardio days. Im trying to keep my calorie intake between 1200-1500. I also try to have 2 days of rest.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary, so please check it out . I have only just started. I like to do 2 days of weight training and 4 cardio exercise in a week. Im also in the military so I am required to workout with my command twice a week. So this week I will do 5 cardio days. Im trying to keep my calorie intake between 1200-1500. I also try to have 2 days of rest.

I looked at your diary and it looks really good. Protein being over is good, as MFP notoriously sets it very low. I have custom set mine higher.

I thought perhaps the only thing you could do was to check your BMR and TDEE and check that you are eating the right amount. A lot of people NET around 1200 and find it difficult to lose weight and when they calculate their correct calorie goal and start to lose weight. A correct calorie goal should be no more than a 20% deficit off the TDEE figure, but the end result should be to NET above your BMR. It sounds weird, but sometimes you have to eat more to lose more.

This also helps when you do get to your target. You will probably have to eat at about 1700 - 2000 to maintain and that is a big jump from 1200 which is when a lot of people fall down, trying to fill that gap means inevitable choices of not so healthy foods sometimes. Whereas, if you have been netting around 1400 to 1600, it is not such a hike up and is easier to do with healthy foods.

Here is a link to information and calculators to find your BMR and TDEE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

There is an In Place of a Road Map group on the forums where you will see how successful this method has been for many people. It is far more sustainable in the long run.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not sure from your profile and your diary is not open, but if you are eating very low calories and especially eating below your BMR to lose weight for any length of time, it will affect and reduce your metabolism. This then means that when you start eating higher calories the weight just immediately comes back on. This is the reason fad diets do not work in the long term.

If you are not doing this, then I have no advice for you other than to seek advice of a nutritionalist. - and please ignore the following advice:

If you have eaten very low calories for a long time and suspect you may have damaged your metabolism, you may have to re-set it by eating at or very close to maintenance calories for a while and then start to reduce again, but only a maximum deficit of 20% off your TDEE and definitely a number above your BMR. You may also put weight on for a short while, but your only alternative would be to continue on a downward spiral eating less and less calories which is not healthy for your body.

ETA - a link to a site that is useful to calculate your BMR and TDEE figures.

^^^^ this