Too much weightloss?

Options
Hi,

This is the end of my first week using MFP (or the beginning of my second, depending on how you look at it) and I lost a little over 6 lbs.! Is it normal to lose so much the first week (I set my goal at 2 lbs. per week and have been close to my daily calorie intake every day - a little under two days and a little over the other 5). I know that losing too much too fast can decrease muscle mass and lead to gaining it back, which I DO NOT WANT TO DO.

What do you think?

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal o lose a lot of weight at first when you change eating habits. A lot of it is probably wate weight.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    first time I worked on myself I lost 10lbs the first week, this time 7lbs the first week... it will settle down and most of that is just water. Perfically normal, I just look at it as the 'bonus start'
  • FlowerMound400
    FlowerMound400 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you cut back on calories, you inevitably cut back on salt. The result is that you lose 5-7 lbs of water weight (your body needs to keep the ratio of salt to water constant). This is one reason that following a really bad diet day (i.e. eating a big bag of chips with Mexican food) you can "gain" 3 or 4 pounds. That's just a gain in water weight because you ate so much salt. The key is to not let it set your expectations too high. I liked Gabriall's comment about being a bonus start. This next week will be a real measure of how your caloric arithmetic and eating habits are playing out. That is, expect only the weight loss you planned on (1 to 2-1/2 pounds a week probably).
  • dlc27573
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I especially appreciate the info about salt and water weight. I've always heard that, but never understood why! Week two weigh in is fast approaching, and I will expect more in the 2 lb. range.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm finishing my second week of eating super clean and working out. My first week I lost 5.2lbs. So some is probably water weight but hey, I feel great and I'll take it!

Good luck on your losing!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Ride that wave as long as you can
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ride that wave as long as you can
    ...AGREED...