30DS - Help!

Options
Hey everyone! I began the 30 day shred yesterday after reading fantastic results, but I have a few concerns.

Day 1 nearly killed me. I did not realize I was in such poor shape! My legs shook, my heart pounded, my arms were jelly! I just completed day 2 and had the same problem. Does it get easier? I can't imagine how I will be able to proceed to do level 2 at such an intensity.

Any tips? What was your experience with the program? Please tell me it gets easier!! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It is humbling, isn't it? I had the same experience, only I didn't do day two the next day, but had to take three days off until I could walk normally again. :tongue:

It does get easier, your strength, flexibility and endurance will improve - you will notice a huge difference probably in the second week or so. But don't be afraid to take a day off if you're super sore - those muscles need a break, and they heal and repair while you rest. Some people do the whole program for 30 days straight, but Jillian herself has been quoted saying she didn't intend that, and that at least one rest day per week is good!

When I did 30DS, I probably got 4 or 5 days of it a week, sometimes only 3 days, depending on my schedule (and how sore I was!). I still had good results and stuck with each level probably for about 10 workouts, or whenever I got bored or felt I could move up. Listen to your body - don't over do it, but grab heavier dumbbells as you get stronger, and keep up the good work!
  • katies71123
    Options
    I am doing 30DS right now also. I am moving to level 2 on Monday. I was in the same boat you are. I started with 5 pound weights and quickly had to drop to 2 pound weights. That seemed to help! It does get easier the longer you do it!! I do it every day of the week except Wednesday and Sunday. You can do this! It will get easier! =)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day doing the 30 Day Shred, and I definitely know what you mean! Toward the end, I was barely doing the moves because I was afraid that if I lunged I'd fall over due to my legs shaking so badly! I just figured that this is part of the deal and it'll be just like the other workout programs I've done. They started out pretty rough, but now it's better. I'm glad to hear that it's not something that needs to be done in the 30 days... I dunno if I could do it!

But it'll be great I'm sure.

Good luck!
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This is my second round of 30DS... When I started 1Jan, I thought "I've done this. I will do it again. It won't be so hard. I'm in better shape this time through"... yeah. Suuure. LOL. Truth is, I am in better shape ( minus 42 lbs yay!) than I was in Sept when I first did 30DS (all 30 Days consecutively). Here's what I found when I did it last time, and I am re-learning this time again -

Day 1 I am sore.. achey, mostly but shaky for a while after the workout. This goes for L1 D1, L2 D1 and L3 D1.
    Day 2's, still sore but able to move and push on through.
    Day 3's, it's like the soreness tightens up everywhere and I am a walking muscle cramp for about 20 mins when I wake up. The knots loosen and I get through my workday, still tender but able to do as I need to.
    Day 4's - All is right with the world and I am finally getting the hang of this level !!
    Days 5-8 are good, making me feel like I am gliding through the levels. By Day 9 and 10 I am starting to fear the next level (or in the case of already on L3, fearing what workout I will do next lol)

Oh, and as a side note. While I am certainly in better shape than when I started in Sept, I was using soda cans as my hand weights back then. I didn't own weights and 12 oz seemed better than trying to do the weight workouts without any weights at all. By L1 D7 I'd bought weights and was using 3 lbs. This time through, I'm doing the entire 30DS with 5 lb hand weights!! =)
  • jnnfrrenee
    Options
    I am on the 7th day of 30DS. (I started my diet and other exercises 2 weeks ago) The first 3 days were MISERABLE for me, but I felt like if I took a break I wouldn't start back.. and that I needed to push through the soreness. It does get a lot better. I still do have some soreness in my legs, but it's getting better. I haven't lost any weight yet but I have lost 1/2 an inch in each arm. Which is big for me because my arms are one of my big problem areas. :/

Good luck to you!
  • c_mac2009
    c_mac2009 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I does get easier. I just finished the 4th day and it was already so much easier than day 1 or 2. I think you should go at your own pace I have had some days off from it because of health reasons and soreness so if you are absolutely too sore take a day off and get back at it. I have seen a lot of success stories on here from this workout and almost all of them had days off and took more than exactly 30 days to complete. The most important thing is just stick with it and do what you can do. It will get a little easier but then it switches up. The difficulty will hopefully yield results.
  • c_mac2009
    c_mac2009 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have done the Shred before and that first day was AWFUL! I wasn't able to get through all the cardio, and I was shaking so bad during the strength. The next day, the soreness was miserable! I could barely lower myself onto the toilet! I didn't know that Jillian intended us to take a day off so I went right on into day 2. It was even harder because of how sore I was. But then, as I kept going, around day 4-5, the pain went away. My muscles got used to the daily work and it was MUCH easier to make it through!

Stick with it! If you need to take a day off, do it. But go back to it! It's only 20 minutes, and it can really make a difference!

So glad I'm not the only one that noticed the toilet problem!!! LOL
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend following the modified version the first few times. Just because you CAN do a full squat does not mean you SHOULD! Especially not if you don't want to have to take off 4 days to recover. :noway:
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now, started on 1/1/13, and I am currently on L2D2. It gets easier. Now, don't get me wrong - even on L1D10 I had to take a one second break in 2-3 spots, but I was not NEARLY as sore. Now, I kind of know what to expect on the first few days of each level. You can do it!
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am also doing it! I am day 13 so day 3 of level 2.. the first 3 days I could barely dress myself! My arms hurts my thighs killed!! But now I am good! I feel strong ! I can even do a push up!!! Keep going it does get easier!
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Great job all of you. Keep it up. Maybe I should get a copy of that DVD. My wife and I could knock it out. After she has this baby of course. :)
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have done the Shred before and that first day was AWFUL! I wasn't able to get through all the cardio, and I was shaking so bad during the strength. The next day, the soreness was miserable! I could barely lower myself onto the toilet! I didn't know that Jillian intended us to take a day off so I went right on into day 2. It was even harder because of how sore I was. But then, as I kept going, around day 4-5, the pain went away. My muscles got used to the daily work and it was MUCH easier to make it through!

Stick with it! If you need to take a day off, do it. But go back to it! It's only 20 minutes, and it can really make a difference!

The toilet is my enemy right now! I have to grab on to the sink to lower myself down.

Just did D1 yesterday and am currently trying to boost myself up to get D2 done..
    If others here have pushed through and could do it, I guess I can as well...

So glad I'm not the only one that noticed the toilet problem!!! LOL