Going to Mexican Restaurant 4 Lunch How do I keep it healthy

Options
I am going to eat lunch in 15 minutes at the Mexican restaurant. I am telling them to keep their chip basket, but how do I keep the rest of the meal healthy. Tips appreciated.

Replies

• justgnee2u
    Options
    You can have just a few chips, that's ok. Fresh salsa should be calorie free. I usually have one chicken enchilada, no rice, and a little bit of beans. Enjoy!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Stay away from any tortillas, anything fried, beans and cheese. Get something with a lot of lettuce!:bigsmile: Mexican is the hardest food to eat healthy and low calorie:sad: . If you just can't find anything that will work, eat only 1/2 of what you order and get the rest to go and if you don't gain then eat the leftovers another day. DRINK A LOT OF WATER to keep your hands busy!:drinker:

Good luck:drinker:
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. when it comes out do not actually make it in the tortilla, just eat the meat and veggies. You could also ask them to us little to no oil while cooking your fajita veggies.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my weakness!! It's soooo hard to eat something healthy! I have been getting the chicken fajitas. I eat it without the tortillas. I guess that makes it kind of like a stir fry. If I really want to eat beans go for the black beans. I put a little bit of guac on the fajitas as well! Good luck! Drink lots of water because everything is going to be exceptionally high in sodium!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would disagree with the response to stay away from the beans, I just ate 1/2 cup of re-fried beans 118 callories, 20g carbs, 2g fat, 7g protein. But I would go with the fajitas and forgo the sour cream.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. when it comes out do not actually make it in the tortilla, just eat the meat and veggies. You could also ask them to us little to no oil while cooking your fajita veggies.

This - but you can have tortillas, just eat corn tortillas!! They're delicious & the fajitas taste so much better in them anyway! Refried beans aren't that bad for you, so you can have those. Definitely keep off the sour cream...I would say keep the meat, veggies and pico de gallo.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Black beans are much healthier than refried...usually.

Also, the tortillas in most enchiladas are pan-fried befor they're baked, so portion control is key.

Depending on the place you're going, you can sometimes check the menu/nutrition facts online before you go. It's always helpful to me not to have to decide on something really quickly. I get stressed out and choose badly....
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Usually getting chicken over red meat or pork will help keep the calories down. I try to get something like tostadas, cheese on the side as well as sour cream and the guac. You can add the cheese and others if you please. Most places load the hard totilla with lettuce on top of not so many beans. Enough to keep you full though!
    Then, if they come with two, you can just eat one tortilla not both but with all of the stuff on top.
    Sounds good... good enough to go eat this weekend!
  • seveld
    seveld Posts: 2
    Options
    I love going to our local authentic mexican restaurant. I always order basically a chicken fajita nacho, without the chips! Its sauteed onions, tomatoes, peppers, with chicken. Love it! No guilt! And if I'm starving, I will ask for corn tortillas to dip in my salsa or guacamole!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I would disagree with the response to stay away from the beans, I just ate 1/2 cup of re-fried beans 118 callories, 20g carbs, 2g fat, 7g protein. But I would go with the fajitas and forgo the sour cream.

i think you are not realizing that she is going out to eat...they make the refried beans different than if you were just making it at home out of can ....look up lard and refried beans and you'll see the nutritional story change drastically.
  • ilovehkn
    ilovehkn Posts: 57
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions guys i ended up having the fajita with chicken and no sour cream. I put salsa and I lil bit of guac on it. I did not eat the chips!! go me!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    congrats!! what an accomplishment!!!!