did i overeat too much to warrant GAINING 6IBS overnight?

Options
Started my diet last Tuesday, by Thursday/Friday i was 6 ibs down - i've been trying to eat healthy and doing Gillian Michaels Boost Matabolism, banish fat DVD (40 mins of high intensity work out) everyday since Wednesday - it is hard work!

I weighed myself today and i am back to what i was Tuesday the day i started!!!!!! All that sweating, panting etc for nothing!!!!I could cry.

The only thing i could think of is that i must of overeat yesterday as yesterday morning scales were showing i'd lost 6 ibs and today they say ive put it all back on!!!

Yesterday i had:

breakfast: omlette made with two eggs, no cheese, no filling
Lunch: 2 eggs scrambled with skimmed milk and 3 ryvitas with tomoto sauce.
Dinner: 2 steamed cod loin with steamed green beans, 3/4 of a pineapple and yes i had some milk chocolate (i shouldnt of had so much!)
Snacks: about 7 pieces of fruit (apples, satsumas and banana), some cold cooked sausage snack bites, 2 x weightwatchers hot chocolates, 1 big pot of low-fat plain natural yogurt, 4 mints, diet cokes.

Baring in mind, i had done a Gillian Michaels 40 mins high intensity workout.

Do you think i over-eat enough to gain 6IBS overnight??

Replies

• blanhe2
    blanhe2 Posts: 88
    Options
    No, 1 lbs of fat is 3500 cals, so in order to gain that you need to eat that amount OVER your maintenance cals (the amount to stay the same). It is most likely water and it will disappear pretty fast too.
  • dtiapril
    Options
    Just weigh yourself again tomorrow, your body fluctuates a LOT.

I was really naughty on Friday night and had a big kebab and felt really awful on Saturday when I weighed in at +4lb. I ignored it and had a normal sensible eating day and went to the gym.

I've weighed myself again this morning and I'm back to -0.5 pounds compared to what I weighed on Friday before eating the kebab.
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Gaining 6lbs of fat overnight seems unlikely, maybe it's just the fruit still being digested or you might have taken in a lot of salt, which will cause water retention.

Just keep going and try getting on the scales again in a day or two and hopefully some of those 6lbs will be gone again! Don't worry and don't give up!
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it. once the scale told me I gained 12 lbs from eating a banana.
  • fiercekindness
    fiercekindness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What they said is true. I had put on 13 pounds in 3 days recently but it has slowly gradually came off. Our bodies hold many mysterious secrets. Generally when you gained a lot overnight and you know you've stayed within your normal eating range it's usually water or you know.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    jackdaniels1234123 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    do you think i eat too much though? also, how many times a week would you do Gillian's dvd? (my muscles are aching so it must be working!)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Just a peice of advice: don't weigh daily if you're going to stress over daily fluctuation. Don't want that hampering your loss.

So look at it this way: 1lb is 3500 calories so unless you had over a weeks worth of calories yesterday alone you have nothing to worry about. Weight is always changing. It could be water weight from working out/not working out. Women tend to change around their mentral period. High sodium meals can cause it. No having a bowel movement can cause up to a 9 lb difference...

Don't stress, & weigh again in a few days. and most importantly don't get discouraged. Weight loss is more of a scribble than a straight line.
  • sandip69
    Options
    surely the laws of conservation apply here! You can't go to bed, sleep 10 hours and gain weight overnight. It's just not possible. Weight does fluctuate wildly from day to day and it's the overall trend form month to month that is important + the difference in how your clothes fit. If your weight does increase overnight then the cause must be factors outside your body!
  • karflowers
    Options
    This was good to read.
    I weight myself daily to keep myself in check, but I think I'm going to have to do what many suggest - weekly weigh ins! In this way I can focus on tracking and sticking to that - versus letting a # on the scale dictate my day/attitude/mood/progress.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Started my diet last Tuesday, by Thursday/Friday i was 6 ibs down - i've been trying to eat healthy and doing Gillian Michaels Boost Matabolism, banish fat DVD (40 mins of high intensity work out) everyday since Wednesday - it is hard work!

I weighed myself today and i am back to what i was Tuesday the day i started!!!!!! All that sweating, panting etc for nothing!!!!I could cry.

The only thing i could think of is that i must of overeat yesterday as yesterday morning scales were showing i'd lost 6 ibs and today they say ive put it all back on!!!

Yesterday i had:

breakfast: omlette made with two eggs, no cheese, no filling
    Lunch: 2 eggs scrambled with skimmed milk and 3 ryvitas with tomoto sauce.
    Dinner: 2 steamed cod loin with steamed green beans, 3/4 of a pineapple and yes i had some milk chocolate (i shouldnt of had so much!)
    Snacks: about 7 pieces of fruit (apples, satsumas and banana), some cold cooked sausage snack bites, 2 x weightwatchers hot chocolates, 1 big pot of low-fat plain natural yogurt, 4 mints, diet cokes.

Baring in mind, i had done a Gillian Michaels 40 mins high intensity workout.

Do you think i over-eat enough to gain 6IBS overnight??

Six pounds of water weight yes, either down to how much salt or refuelling your muscles with glycogen (carb) or both. All that fruit is a crazy amount of sugar, if you are craving that you may as well return to eating starchy carbs.

Overall there are some good foods in your sample day but it was not nutritionally balanced. Try to eat far more vegetables than fruit adding them to your breakfast and lunch, the full rainbow of dark/ bright colours including blue/ purple. If you want to eat reduced carb you must replace the fibre and minerals in grains, beans and lentils with plenty of nuts seeds and cocoa, don't underestimate how much you need bearing in mind you sweat out minerals during your workouts. Also with less carbs you need more fat not less - oily fish like sardines or mackerel, nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, cocoa powder.

Perhaps consider making your own low carb dark chocolate dessert since cocoa powder is incredibly nutritious but milk chocolate is full of sugar. I like a mix of low fat soft cheese, peanut butter, cocoa and sweetener served with black forest fruits but there are many recipes online. Berries and black or red currants tend to be low in sugar but full of antioxidants, there is some evidence suggesting sour cherries can help prevent DOMS from intense exercise.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If you ate 21,000 excess calories, sure.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    do you think i eat too much though? also, how many times a week would you do Gillian's dvd? (my muscles are aching so it must be working!)

No way to know if it was too much without knowing the calorie count and what your calorie goal is.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No, you didn't.

ETA: Just to be clear, you didn't lose 6 lbs of fat in 2 days either. You have likely lost a small amount of fat, but it is being masked by the loss and regain of water weight.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Maybe retaining water and expect to do a 4lb poop.
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    Didn't you set up your calorie amount with MFP..that tells you how many calories you should be eating. Just record what you are eating in food journal and it will keep track for you.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I think stay off the scale!!!

Body fat, measurements and clothes fit are way better indicators of your progress unless you like beating yourself up and feeling depressed Try weighing every 4 weeks instead of weekly, and if you insist of weighing weekly reserve reacting until seeing scale numbers over two weeks. I learn this lesson over and over again!!

Remember when you get on the scale you are weighing everything - bones, water, food, salt affects etc. your hormones affect your weight, time of month, water retention etc.!!! Weight loss takes time. If you are working a plan, Be patient allow your body to adjust to workout and nutritional changes. Work hard and then practice patience!!

Do not let that stupid scale drive you crazy or derail you!!! This weight loss, body transformation requires consistency over a long period of time. Stay the course
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You certainly didnt gain 6 pounds of fat overnight. You may be retaining some water or just need to wait until your digestive process continues to its finale in the bathroom. However, you really need to start a food diary if you have not already done that, and be honest about food quantities by weighing and measuring. Although 7 pieces of fruit is healthy as far as vitamins, fiber, and other nutrients, fruit still does have a moderate amount of calories, and those calories "count" in your total calorie intake. Have you gone through the process of entering your data so that MFP can give you a calorie goal based upon your lifestyle and how much weight you want to lose per week? I would strongly suggest that you set yourself up for 1/2 to 1 pound weight loss per week; with a larger goal, the amount of food you can eat may be overly restrictive, and it will be easy to keep going over.
  • kw0205
    kw0205 Posts: 62
    Options
    Like others have said, don't weigh in daily. Weigh in once per week - pick a morning and track your weight loss that way. Also - make sure your logging your calories into this site so you can get a good picture of what's going on - keeping it in your head will lead to failure - much like my trying to keep a grocery shopping list in my head does :-) Good luck!!
  • ralphrich
    ralphrich Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You might also want to remember that you can also have what I call "false lows" where you weight below your normal [current] weight due to daily fluxuations due to time of day etc. Every time I get a new "low", I see it as a forcaster of next weeks "high" weight. Also remember if you exercise off 3500 cals, your pound of fat loss will be off set by a small gain in muscle--a good thing. I also use the "false" gain to motivate me to better dicisipline.