Body Pump

Options
Does anyone else on here go to Body Pump regularly? I know some people love it, and some people hate it. I guess I am just trying to get everyone's opinion.

The class seems to do wonders for me, and although I like to lift heavy, body pump gives me both a strength and cardio workout at the same time. I have to stop and ask myself if I am lifting heavy enough sometimes, and now that I have payed more attention to that, my body is changing again.

I think the danger with body pump is that we can get in the habit of lifting what is comfortable, not what is heavy. Our regular instructor is going to be out for a while, and we had a sub come in. He automatically had all of the regulars add weight, and the work out felt like the first time again. It was exactly what I needed!

Replies

• AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    I've only done it once as the times at the gym don't suit me but it's a great way to get fit quick, I think and I like the musical rhythmic element too. In my class, it was very fit men mostly so that's an added benefit! Mmmmm...
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a live class but I have the at-home version from Beachbody called Les Mills Pump. I love it and I think you're right, you really have to make sure you're lifting heavy enough and not getting complacent, but when you are lifting heavy enough it's an awesome workout. And I love being able to do it in my own living room.

Right now I'm doing Les Mills Combat (just finishing up week 2) and am planning to combine the Pump and Combat this summer after I've done Combat on its own for awhile.
  • workingitinpa
    Options
    I just started body pump again. I did a few classes in the fall but stopped going. I intend to stick with it this time. Btw, how do you log BP in your exercise log.
  • SummerNights32
    SummerNights32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just started body pump again. I did a few classes in the fall but stopped going. I intend to stick with it this time. Btw, how do you log BP in your exercise log.

I have an HRM, so that is how I log it...it is not on MFP unfortulately. I burn a little over 300 calories in class, and I am 5'7..190 pounds.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to, but the club where we are members now doesn't offer any of the Les Mills classes. It's a shame, because I loved it, and would love to try the other ones, too. I'm a big fan of structure, and being told what to do when it comes to exercising, not very creative. :) Plus they had great music.

Back when I was doing Body Pump, one time in the car, my toddler (at the time) behind me asked "Mommy, what's that thing on your shoulder?". For a minute I didn't know what he was talking about, and I eventually figured he was talking about the shape and striations of my shoulder muscles, haha! Body pump definitely worked for me for building some nice, lean muscles.
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I take body pump 2-3 days a week. I went two weeks without taking the class recently because of an injury so I took some different classes that I didn't normally take. When I took the class again for the first time I used the same weight that I had been using and it was too light for me. The next class I added weight and it was right where I needed to be much more difficult. I'm not sure why the previous weight was too light but I stated taking yoga and Pilates and added in more cardio. I'm getting stronger and have noticed a change in my body shape from when I first started working out at the gym in August.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have taught body pump for many years! Great fun class and has its pro's and con's. It's muscular endurance and can have its place in a fitness program. I wouldn't use it solely as my plan to build lean tissue, and would not recommend that to others. Having said that, I know other instructors and participants that use this solely for their strength training. Some are able to maintain the look and lean tissue that they want and others are wondering why their body fat and look are so far from where they want to be. So what works for you may not work for me and vise versa and certain goals will not be achieved no matter how much body pump you do as its just not the right prescription!

I get greatest results lifting heavy in the weight room and body pump supplements my overall program when I teach it regularly. My shoulders are a hot mess from years of teaching BP and my early years of other silly stuff in the gym. Hence...

You also need to be cognizant of proper form and aware of possible injury with the repetitive nature of program and speed of movements.
  • AnniePenny
    AnniePenny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been taking body pump classes 3 times a week startin on jan 2nd this year.. I def feel better, I see my muscles getting more defined little by litte... I know some people are against body pump but to be honest I just love the class, I look forward to it everytime, the music keeps me motivated and i think as long as you're self conscious to not screw up the postures it shouldn't cause any damage to the body..

I have one question though.. I'm trying to get an accurate tdee so i wonder.. is body pump considered a cardio exercise or a "weight lifting" exercise? I know we lift weights but I don't lift the absolute highest cuz there's no way i would resist a whole song with that weight.. so i wonder under which category would it fall ?
  • MamaVeronicaWorksOut
    Options
    I recently started doing the Body Pump course offered at my gym and I love it! Unfortunately, the only time that works for me is one time a week on Friday mornings, but I'll take what I can get. I really do want to get a HRM so that I can see how many calories I burn during the class.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I did a class or two with my wife. It's a decent cardio/conditioning workout. Just don't confuse it with actual weight lifting.