Stretch marks

Options
How do you ladies deal with stretch marks?

I've notice i have stretch marks on my hips from constant losing and gaining weight in the past and the other day i notice that i just got stretch marks on one of my boobs :(

I'm 18 and i surely dont want to have ugly stretch marks on my body.. so how do you get rid of them? and is there any way to prevent getting stretch marks?

Tips & tricks will be very appreciated :) xxx

Replies

• CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind having a little bit but after having my baby I have a truck load, I know it sucks to have them. I too am wondering about any tricks short of laser treatment.:ohwell:
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch of them, too! Well, I can tell you they do fade over time.

When you are pregnant, they tell you lotion, lotion, lotion to prevent getting stretch marks - not sure if it has to be the cocoa butter or if any lotion works. I wasn't that consistent at using lotion so I got 'em anyway:-)

As I am not to my weightloss goal, I don't have much advice on how to get rid of them. I have heard to use exfoliating soaps & sea salt scrubs in the shower followed up with lotion will help diminish them overtime but I have no idea if that actually works.

Good Luck!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It is nearly impossible to get rid of them. Had them since 12 - genetics. Not many and I don't bother. (Neither do men.)
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Sadly you're stuck with them. There's no credible study that shows creams eliminate them. I look at it this way: Most of mine have faded and the purple ones on my hips will look less awful when they are attached to a banging body
  • kittybabexo
    Options
    I didn't mind having a little bit but after having my baby I have a truck load, I know it sucks to have them. I too am wondering about any tricks short of laser treatment.:ohwell:

laser treatment sounds expensive :(
  • StaynFit4ever82
    Options
    I have them too. They'll fade but they aren't going anywhere.
  • jmosborn32
    Options
    As far as I know, you can never get rid of them. That being said, they will fade and become much less noticeable. You could research some creams that are on the market to help them diminish in appearance quicker. Be careful of ones that say they are a miracle cure and will make them vanish all together. You also shouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg either. I would also try moisturizing daily...it will help the skin stay supple when you lose/gain weight and will decrease your chances of getting more. I have also learned that genetics plays a huge role if you happen to get them as well. My mom is heavy and does not have one...I struck gold with the gene pool and have several.
  • kittybabexo
    Options
    I've got a bunch of them, too! Well, I can tell you they do fade over time.

When you are pregnant, they tell you lotion, lotion, lotion to prevent getting stretch marks - not sure if it has to be the cocoa butter or if any lotion works. I wasn't that consistent at using lotion so I got 'em anyway:-)

As I am not to my weightloss goal, I don't have much advice on how to get rid of them. I have heard to use exfoliating soaps & sea salt scrubs in the shower followed up with lotion will help diminish them overtime but I have no idea if that actually works.

Good Luck!

i hope they fade.. because i surely dont want to be stuck with them forever! and i'll give that a try see if it works.. who knows maybe it will or maybe i wont :b
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    They do fade. You won't notice them after awhile. You probably have some from growing. Exercise and it will make you look toned and nobody will notice.
  • sofielein
    Options
    note if you do tanning they will show again (they don't tend to pigment)
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    note if you do tanning they will show again (they don't tend to pigment)
    I never understood the theory that tanning helped fade them. I tanned and I looked like a reverse zebra. Brown with white stripes. TG for olive skin....I'll stick to my natural skin tone
  • sofielein
    Options
    lol, I'm zebraing too
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've got some on my inner thighs, hips, and boobs from gaining weight and puberty. They've faded now so that they're white instead of the angry purple-red, though I can still find them if I look for them. Not sure how to get rid of them, though. Good luck.
  • bruks91
    bruks91 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi. the following might seem crazy but anyhow, all through my pregnancy i had none at all. now i have loads i first swear by cocoa butter it does fade them a lot also ( this is the crazy bit) since i started using fake tan again the ones on my arms have literally almost dissapeared! Its amazing bcuz they were really red ones too ugggh i no lol. the ones on my legs havent but has i said cocoa butter is great. also worth mentioning my sister swears by conditioner :/ now shes had 4 babies weighing in at least 8 lbs plus sooo.... :)
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options

laser treatment sounds expensive :(
    Same to me lol
  • HarleyJean2012
    HarleyJean2012 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are a pain. I've had them since I was around 12 or 13. I weighed over 200 pounds in high school, then go to 150 pounds and found out I was pregnant. I think because I was so heavy before, my pregnancy didn't increase the marks at all, which I was obviously very happy about. But I hate them, too. And like everyone said, there's really no way to get rid of them. They're a part of your body, and you just have to accept them. The best thing you could do is just keep your skin healthy. Drink lots of water, eat good, take vitamins and use lotions. And if your problem is not wanting people to see them if you're wearing a bikini, just forget about it. SOOO many women have stretch marks. My best friend from high school has them on her hips, breasts, and thighs, and she's an athlete. She's never been overweight. Alot of women you see have them, even if they're thin. Even alot of men. It's all about just accepting them. :)
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Get to your final stable weight -- maintain it for at least more than a year -- trust that you'll maintain this weight for the rest of your life.

Then tattoos!!! Something beautiful that incorporates or covers them, and is super meaningful. :P
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I find that denial works best.

Seriously though, after 6 pregnancies I have stretch marks on my hips and breasts. They do fade with time and honestly you will not get kicked out of bed for them ;p
  • kumica
    kumica Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When i was pregnant with my first child, I lost a ton of weight from morning sickness and I was ALL baby belly. I stretched out like crazy!!!!! For all the mom's out there
    you earned those stripes!!! They may not be pretty, but they are my reminder of how lucky I am to have 4 beautiful healthy children. I can't change them, so I've learned to embrace them. They make an almost sunburst pattern around my belly button. I've had almost 16 years to accept them. Don't kid yourself, the models in the magazines have them too....they've just been airbrushed!
  • spicyginger2006
    spicyginger2006 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do about them. Completely genetics- chances are your mother has them and so do your sisters. Good news is that they fade over time, most of mine are silver or white now and are almost invisible with a tan. just a part of life that unfortunately comes with gaining weight, having a baby or having a growth spurt through a short period of time. just know this- its very common, and whether you are overweight or not, a LOT of people have them!