help!

Options
how do i get motivated to try yet again wen i dont get results wen i try?? im soo frustrated. i hate being fat but i dont feel like trying to eat clean and exercise wen i know it wont do anything like every other time. its the worst feeling to feel so out of control. its really getting to me. at this pt i feel like life can start to be 'good' once ive lost weight...only then ill be happy. any words of encouragment and motivation are welcome
*p.s. i have a condition called pcos which makes it extremely difficult to lose weight

Replies

• aceleeroy
    Options
    Start slow, the reason you keep quitting is because you set your goals too high. Start slow and be consistent, and quit weighing yourself, you will get results from dedication. Use the scale a month later after working in a program.
  • kvh_1fan
    kvh_1fan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i don't know about the condition you have but I have had friends with thyroid issues that make it hard to lose. They just did some research and through trial and error of different diets found one that worked for them.

Don't give up because then you certainly won't lose anything. Exercising in general always makes me feel good even when the scale isn't reflecting a change. Keep setting small milestone goals so you see the progress.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    1. Figure out why you're not getting results. PCOS can make things difficult, but it's not impossible to lose with PCOS. If you post your stats (age, height, weight), how much you want to lose, how much you've been eating and over what period of time, and what amount of exercise you do - people may be able to help you from there.

2. Find other reasons to eat well (not necessarily "clean") and exercise than just losing weight. Both are important for health whether you lose weight or not.

3. Adjust your expectations. A lot of people start trying to lose weight and expect that it's going to be quick and easy, and then they can forget about it again. Weight loss is slow and boring, and for most people who have been overweight, weight management takes a lifetime of effort.
  • sallyann123
    sallyann123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    at what point do you think i can say im being realistic or not? if I eat wholesome and clean, 1200 (logged) from chritsmas til march (last yr) and lose 8 lbs total, all of which were lost in the first three weeks and for the next two and a half lbs NOT ONE MORE LB, is that expecting too much? Seriously, I need to know. otherwise, im setting mself up for failure. Thank u for taking the time to read and reply to my post!
  • jca320
    jca320 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you or not. There is only one thing I have found that helps me lose weight. Walking. Every day, every other day, whatever I can do. I am very active, but that doesn't seem to do it for me. I cannot run due to old, tired knees. But I can walk. It is harmless to the body, and done at your own pace. If you haven't tried that, maybe it would help. This is a slow burner (1.5-2 pounds a month), but it works for me. At the end of the year, I was 25 pounds lighter than when I started. Best wishes.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge celeb fan, but Kelly Osborne commented on this very thing. She would lose some weight, or struggle and not see results, gain more weight... it was a vicious cycle.

She realized it wasn't until she decided to LEARN TO BE HAPPY FIRST that then she was able to quite naturally live in a way that was healthy and the weight started coming off and staying off!!

Counseling and a support network will help you figure out how to be happier, and it all comes down to you and your perspective. Learn to love yourself and love first, and the rest will follow...

Life's too damn short to stay unhappy. You can do it!

x
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give you concrete suggestions and ideas on what you might change with a closed diary.
  • sallyann123
    Options
    I have only been overweight for a year and a half now, ever since having my son. I gained a ridiculous amount of weight in the last trimester, which is odd to me, but the doctors dont seem to think so...i know i have a terrible perspective, but i feel like the elephant in the room every time i go somewhere. im sure noone cares quite as much as i do...but its effecting me socially etc if anyone tells me im pretty i think they are lying. im 5'6 and went from 160 (i looked good at that weight somehow) to 220 9 months later. im still 210ish no matter how much or how little i eat. to be honest with myself and everyone here im not religious enough about my exercise. i definately can eat properly for long periods of time...that doesnt mean i never do. i have a track almost in my back yard which i would go to RELIGOUSLY for about a month in the scortching heat...NOHTING...everyone would try to tell me (husband and mother) that i look better, but i never know if they have a hidden agenda to get me to continue since the scale and clothes dont budge...thanks all for letting me vent here! and i do take ur constructive criticism to heart:)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of this in the attitude of trying to live in the future, as in "my life won't be good until. . . I lose weight, do this, have this, whatever." Remember the reasons that you seek a healthy lifestyle and set up a reasonable program that you can live with. Analyze why your previous attempts to lose weight have gone awry. Were they too restrictive? Did you deny yourself a wide variety of foods? Did you not give it enough time?

Like others have said, we can't help you much if you don't open your diary and let us give some advice about your food plan.
  • Cheryoze
    Cheryoze Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First of all try not to be so down on yourself. Find something positive about yourself, we can all pick ourselves apart, myself included. PCOS is difficult to manage and you have a battle with more than just your weight, keep that in mind. I agree to start slow, it's hard for me not to step on the scale daily and when I do that I come down really hard on myself when I gain .4 ounces, I know that's crazy but I still do it. Then I regroup and stay off of the scale for a while. Concentrate on being healthy and with that you should see an adjustment in your weight but it will take time. Best wishes :happy:

P.S. - I allowed myself to enjoy a small piece of birthday cake with a dear friend last night too.
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    Don't ever give up on yourself! Always be your own best friend. I've seen other members on MFP with PCOS, look for support from those folks. Start with one good food choice and one walk around the block and build from there. I started my journey by giving up soda, it made a difference and then I started setting other small goals. Slow and steady wins the race. You will do this and the time is now!
  • Miranda4robotman
    Miranda4robotman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Get friends with you to go to Zumba or Aerobics or anything like that. I find classes work way better for me because your being pushed by the teacher, and they can be a good laugh. One of my main methods is to go to one straight after work or uni, because as soon as I am home and sit down I dont want to move again! haha I am trying to shed some christmas weight for my sisters wedding in April if anyone has any tips I would love help and support :)
  • sallyann123
    Options
    love the suggestion of not going home first cuz thats where my downfall begins! i can be super motivated and once i get home i forget abt the logic of going...anyone have a good place for me to find meal plan ideas? thats another area i cld use hlep in! i jut resort to the same foods bc i run out of ideas!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Get motivated? It doesn't work? Well, there's your problem. If you don't believe in something, you're hardly likely to stick with it - but lemme ask you this - how the hell do you think everyone else got into better shape?
  • sallyann123
    Options
    Get motivated? It doesn't work? Well, there's your problem. If you don't believe in something, you're hardly likely to stick with it - but lemme ask you this - how the hell do you think everyone else got into better shape?

my issue is that ive gone thru the whole 'getting motivated' routine many times. its hard to get remotivated when normal ppl without metobolic issues and irregular hormones will see results and i DONT. the worst message board for me is the success message boards bc i see ppl doing exactly what i did and with amazing results. it doesnt encourage me when i feel like i put in hard work and energy for nothing...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

my issue is that ive gone thru the whole 'getting motivated' routine many times. its hard to get remotivated when normal ppl without metobolic issues and irregular hormones will see results and i DONT. the worst message board for me is the success message boards bc i see ppl doing exactly what i did and with amazing results. it doesnt encourage me when i feel like i put in hard work and energy for nothing...
    I get that; it took me a long while to find things that work. At the same time, I never looked for external motivation - I had a choice between staying fat, which is hard, or getting into shape, which is hard. Pick your hard.
  • sallyann123
    Options
    anyne else? :) the more the merrier!
  • sallyann123
    Options
    ?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The problem is not pcos, it's stinking thinking. I have the same problem - with so many failures behind me, why would I expect success?

Thinking like that stinks!

We have free will to quit thinking like that and become champions of our own challenges.

Just do it!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    For me it was all about portion control. I still eat everything I like (pizza, cookies, chocolate, etc) but I stick to the serving size. As soon as I say I can't have something then I want it! I also agree with going to the gym right after work, if I go home first it makes it a lot more difficult to go later. I would also suggest doing a search for recipe websites on here (i.e. gracious pantry, clean eating, cooking light) for good food recipes that you can add into your routine. I'm sure someone has posted the "in place of a road map" link from here as well, it's a great tool to help you figure out your calories and all that good stuff! Finally remember that weight lose isn't linear. I found that for me I would lose a pound or two one week, not lose anything the next week, and then the following week lose a pound or two more. Give it time:) Good luck!