Borrowing Calories ?

Options
Does anyone "borrow" calories from the next day? For example- if I'm 250 over today cut 250 extra for tomorrow?

Replies

• jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You should always eat your cal allowance for the day. If you're keen to use an extra 250 one day, like if you knew you were going out at night or something, then you'd be best to work out and earn some extra cals to use instead.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I did just the other night. I had to wait up super late, and had already completed my dairy for the day. Then I binged on a few cookies and didn't log them. I felt so guilty when I woke up the next day, that I logged them for that day and stayed under my goal. I still feel badly about it. It's definitely NOT something I plan on making a habit.
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    not recommended, I agree with jellybean
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers even ditched the idea of borrowing calories because they've found it really helps if you don't. You can do so, though you won't lose as much. A workout instead would be a great idea.
  • mary_bossard
    Options
    I do it fairly frequently, prob about once a week.

I see it as a tool to use against my "all or nothing" thinking.
    It's definitely helped me set aside the attitude of "dang! I went over already, might as well do some more damage"

IMHO, my body responds positively to varying my caloric intake, just like it does to changing up my workout routine.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well, this idea works for me because I count my calories on a weekly basis vs daily.

I find this to be easier for me to see the bigger picture. As long as I keep a fairly consistent pattern of eating from day to day and meet my weekly caloric goal, then its fine! I don't see this as borrowing calories at all. I just work a little harder in my workout to give myself some extra calories as well.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Even if you were 250 over that shouldn't translate into a weight gain unless you do it consistently. You could break the extra up through the week , try to make up a hundred calories of it or get some extra exercise in. Or you could just forget it and move on.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I completely do this.
    It's all about accountability. If I go over and let myself be over.. then there is no consequence to my going over.
    If I push them into the next day, then I am penalized for going over. I hate not getting to eat as much the next day.. so it really encourages me to not go over on a day.
    Accountability - so important.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i've tried to in the past but then you get to borrowing EVERY day and then at the end of the week you have this massive extra amount of calories. don't do it. if you go over, log it on the proper day, then do better tomorrow.

the only thing i DO do is if i eat after midnight i add it to the next day.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just find that looking at a weekly average is better for me. Usually if I over eat on one day, I under eat on the next. And, in the long run it all balances.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I don't borrow but if I go over on one day, I don't stress to much about it too much..
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Physically, it will make no difference. Mentally, it might be an issue. I like to bank calories for a planned splurge. For instance, the week before Christmas I worked out extra ; then I had three days of solid partying. The rest of Christmas week I worked out extra, and at the end of the two weeks I hadn't used up quite all of my exercise calories.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, this idea works for me because I count my calories on a weekly basis vs daily.

I find this to be easier for me to see the bigger picture. As long as I keep a fairly consistent pattern of eating from day to day and meet my weekly caloric goal, then its fine! I don't see this as borrowing calories at all. I just work a little harder in my workout to give myself some extra calories as well.

^ What she said.

But I do want to add that I think you are over-worrying about this. You went over today...okay. Just learn from it and move forward. Don't go "borrowing" calories. That's just going to start messing with your head and you'll either sabotage yourself or get stressed.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Yes-I "borrow" all the time (sort of). I aim to come out even-ish for the week (or so). But I purposely eat more on the day before my long run-even though I don't do a stitch of exercise the day I eat more, and I know I'll have a low "net" on the day of my long run. It just works better for me and my morning long run is significantly better if I've eaten "extra" the day before. For me, it all works out in the wash.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    There's no logical reason why you shouldn't. And many people work their calories on a weekly basis, rather than a daily.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone- I try not do make it a habit of it- but if I end up working a double or some other situation comes up I don't get my workout in - I try to even it out the next day:)