Take-Along Salads

Options
looking for some new salad ideas to take to school with me. (no gluten please - I'm a Celiac) Nothing too complicated though because there is a limited budget involved. Thanks (Pics too if you have them...yummy)

Replies

• wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Im starting salad in a jar this week. i am also sauteeing chicken breast which I will put on top.\
    I learned about it here, but I think pinterest has some ideas too
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820452-salad-in-a-jar
  • princesspeanutsmom
    princesspeanutsmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    two cups baby spinach, one half cup sliced fresh mushrooms, top with a bit of shredded cheese and some low fat salad dressing on the side. I usually slice half a red pepper to eat with it. It's really good.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bring along a hard-boiled egg and a small cup of your favorite dressing :)
  • TaishaMcGee
    Options
    I take a salad every day to school. I use snapware and keep my own fork rolled up in a paper towel so I don't have to waste plastic ones. This is what I put in my salads:
    -One head of romaine
    -One tablespoon of Kirkland crumbled bacon
    -Four or five grape tomatoes
    -Whatever other vegetables I have that week, cucumbers, carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, etc etc
    -Litehouse Bue Cheese dressing (a little goes a long way, I've found)
    -SOMETIMES I splurge and get some deli turkey and cube it and put it in the salad, too, but the sodium is pretty high.
    -Sometimes I use the spring mix from Costco, too, which really ups the nutritional value, but it comes in those plastic containers which I really thing is wasteful, so I rarely buy them.
    -I also sometimes put in some chilled quinoa, which raises the protein, but is nearly flavorless so you don't even notice it, except that it fills you up.

This altogether makes a huge salad for pretty well under 300 calories (usually about 200, depending on the veg).