Smoothies / Protein shakes?

Options
So I went out and bought a new Ninja to start making healthy drinks, Question (That I'm sure has been asked a lot) Protein shake before of after workout? (I don't plan to make them all of the time because of the calories in the powder - just for my more intense workouts)

Also - Smoothies anyone have a favorite recipe? I do the whole lite yogurt, almond milk, banana, strawberry's thing.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just get your protein in during the day. You do not need to time your intake. You only need protein powder if you do not get enough by way of food and need to supplement.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have seen people making arguments for both sides. So I go in the middle of an intense workout.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do post workout, but also use as a meal replacement here and there. I use different ingredients including peanut butter, greek yogurt, chocolate mousse cup (jello), truvia, frozen yogurt, frozen fruit, flax seed. Not necessarily all together but those are some of the ingredients I do use. I always use vanilla powder, bc it seems it's the easiest flavor to manipulate.
  • DianaFaith1
    DianaFaith1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest a smoothie prior to a workout. Too much food in the stomach. Eat something lite. I generally eat some protein within an hour after my workout. Like a cup of plain Fage 0% yogurt. I drink a smoothie with protein powder if I have not gotten enough protein during the day. My smoothies consist of frozen fruit, protein powder, cold water and sometimes I use a tbs. of ground flaxseed, or a tbs. of Super Seed Beyond Fiber. I buy the frozen fruit at Sams Club or at the grocery store. Works for me.

What Ninja blender did you buy? I was going to get one.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I was the most skeptical person ever about this - but i have been converted!! Best discovery ever! You can read my thoughts here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806664-anyone-tried-isagenix?page=2#posts-12158172
  • mrsricta
    Options
    Some protein powders are designed specifically to be taken after a workout, while others are made to act as more of a meal replacement. You just want to read labels and make an informed decision based on what YOU want to use it for! If you are replacing a meal you want something with enough calories, high protein, and lots of vitamins, minerals, other nutrients.

As for smoothies my favorite is Unsweetened almond milk, 1 Cup Blueberries (frozen or fresh), 1/2 banana, and a scoop of Garden of Life Raw Organic Vanilla protein powder! YUM!!
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i always have mine after a workout but thats just cause i don't like to eat before working out. I like banana, some ice, berries, flax seed, psyllium husk, protein powder and water. oh and a dash of ginger.
  • MariaB1974
    Options
    Here is one of my favorites:

http://chefmommy-brandao.blogspot.com/2012/05/chocolate-banana-protein-smoothie.html

There are more on my blog too, just type in "smoothie" in the search bar.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like 1/2 scoop spiru-tein vanilla, 1 cup or so water, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries and 1/2 banana...I think it's around 130 calories depending on the size of the banana. And it's vegan!
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i heard if it's really intense like strength training protein is good after to repair your body, but usual workouts i don't think it's important. i still will anyway because i love a cold protein shake after a long workout. :) (like 2hours, 600 cals burned.)
  • kittycatkay
    kittycatkay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    AFTER WORKOUT! trust me, i studied this. Your body needs carbohydrates and sugars such as fruits before a workout for quick and easy energy, and your body needs proteins such as meats, eggs, beans, protein shakes etc. to build up the muscle you worked during your workout., after your workout.
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My smoothie is 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 cup spinach, 1 banana, ice. Did have 1/2 cup milk but maybe water instead would be good. Also a splash of vanilla or coconut extract. You dont taste the spinach and it makes it better for you.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    OMG! I love my Ninja Blender! It really does make things fast and easy. I don't use protein powder, but I do make smoothies and juices. Juices are fairly good. Toss in the fruit and some water or juice, and blend away. I personally love making the overnight oatmeal smoothies from theyummylife.com.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have this smoothie for breakfast sometimes and it's delicious! There's spinach in it, but you don't taste it.

2 cups baby spinach
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 tbsp Better N Peanut Butter

You can also add a scoop of chocolate protein powder
  • trishh143
    trishh143 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently using smoothies as a meal replacement and I am loving it. I went to GNC and bought the deluxe blender deal for like $30 (you can order it online also). I do eat "normal" food for snacks just so I am not on a completely liquid diet. I use something light in protein in the morning only because it keeps me from being tempted throughout the afternoon. My morning protein is 18g of protein and 100 calories. I throw it in my blender with whatever frozen fruit I want that morning. I typically use water, protein powder, 1 cup of frozen fruit...blend and that makes me 2 smoothies at about 15oz each. Thats my breakfast and my lunch. I do use a different protein after I workout. There is a lot of back and forth about when you should have your protein shake. Every fitness "guru" I know or have ever talked to says AFTER.. Hope this helps!