Anyone see a nutritionist/nutritional counselor?

Options
I'm thinking about setting up an appointment with a nutritional counselor but I wanted to see if anyone on here has tried it and, if so, what you thought. I've always had a pretty unhealthy relationship with food and don't feel like I learned A) healthy portion sizes or B) that you should stop eating when you're not hungry anymore. My mother always had a tendency to cook way more than we needed (even as a family of 5) so I find myself cooking that same way sometimes.

I've been on MFP for 6 months or so but have been on my weight loss/healthy eating journey for about a year. I seem to go through phases where I stay on track and do really well, but all of a sudden I'll revert back to the old me and start binge-eating for no apparent reason. I'm currently struggling with that right now and don't want to undo all the progress I've made... I just started NROLFW and want to stay on track so I see some results but I know my current eating patterns aren't ideal for that.

I really want to try a nutritional counselor so I can find out how much my body truly needs and to work on some of my bad habits. The problem is I'm not sure insurance will cover it unless I have a medical condition like diabetes that requires me to see a nutritionist. Has anyone been through nutritional counseling or been to see a nutritionist? What did you think?

Replies

• dycheelizabeth
    Options
    I have seen an nutritionist and for me it was a waste of time. All she told me was things I already knew (how many calories I should eat what types of food are good for you). I have been battling my food obsession for 20 years so I know how you feel. Try keeping a food diary...not just of what you eat, but of how you feel when you eat and when you eat (what time of day). This should help you pin point some of the underlying problems. In my case, I tend to snack much more when I am stressed or bored...so I try to stick to my to-do list (to aleviate stress) and if I start to feel bored I pick up a book (my newest method is to walk VERY slowely on the treadmill while watching tv...keeps me from snacking AND burns a couple of calories!). I hope this helps!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Went to a nutritionalist for health problems (bloating and eczema) also was losing weight at the time and finding it difficult despite being a healthy weight. She was kinda crap. Told me loads of stuff I already knew, told me I should not lose any more weight even though I was not comfortable at that weight and size (about a UK 12-14), TO be honest I sort of resented being told that I shouldnt lose any more despite the fact I was doing it healthily and had I wide margin to lose and not be underweight (going by BMI). Also, SHE was overweight which made it harder for me to take any of her advice. I did follow what she had told me for a while, the bloating actually got worse and the eczema never cleared up.

Maybe just one bad egg though.
  • rickphill
    rickphill Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have seen a nutritional counselor before but it was as part of a larger medical physical work-up. I would recommend getting a full blood toxically work-up done as this will allow the nutritional counselor to see your cholesterol, liver and kidney functions etc.. That is what was most helpful for me. Best of luck.
  • migs102
    migs102 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have saw a nutrionalist almost 10 years ago and went from 185 to 140. I then proceeded to get married, move abroad, have a baby, move back to the usa and managed to keep off the most of it unti the last few years when I lapsed back into my old habits of deaing with stress. I was back in the same area as her and it took all my strength to go back to her feeling as though I failed but she is amazing at her job but she takes a practical and listening way to teach you and guide you into what will work for you in your personal situation. I think if you find the right person it can really help, I know it has helped me.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    I'm seeing a registered dietitian. I've only had one meeting, but I really enjoyed it and she already told me some things to help. I think if you have a difficult relationship with food it could be really helpful for you. Look for reviews online, get recommendations, etc. so you find someone really good!

P.S. Registered dietitian is probably the way to go. Nutritionists don't have as rigorous schooling and credentials.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I see a nutritionist/naturopath every couple of months. I've been lucky enough to find one who agrees with my food principles (no grains and dairy) and whose main interest truly is nutrition and fueling the body, not just weight loss (even though I've lost heaps since going to see her).
    My nutritionist assisted me in diagnosing my casein intolerance, leaky gut and associated issues. She put in place a fantastic long term recovery program for me, which is working wonders. I have honestly never felt better.

Another alternative is to read the book "It Starts With Food". Seriously. Everyone should read it.
  • helpellen
    Options
    cool
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    See a proper registered dietician or look VERY carefully into any nutritionists qualifications and registration status, that is not a regulated job title in many countries so some only hold low qualifications they got online. By all means see a counsellor or therapist if you want to address the psychological side if you are having true binges rather than simply overeating/ overindulging..

Not sure why you need to see someone to learn about servings: buy some measuring spoons, cups and a scale, there is a ton of information online about what a serving looks like or weighs and how many you should be having of each food group as a minimum or maximum. Just check your government's websites. There is a ton of information here on MFP about calculating your basal metabolic rate, TDEE and so on.