Need Support!

Options
Hey all!

I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone wanted to team up with me and work towards similar goals. I am a very team oriented and results driven person. Unfortunately (as I am sure you have all run into as well) it is hard to get results right off the bat and it’s hard to get motivated without the results. So I was hoping some of you would like to set daily/weekly goals with me. Anyone in?

My biggest problem is my GUT! UGH!!! I worked for years in food service so I never really had to try to lose weight considering I was always running around on my feet. Now that I graduated and got a "desk job" (I swear desk jobs are the devil!) I am having such a hard time keeping my body fit. I still eat the same, but move a lot less... so where does it all go? You guessed it! The mid section - I know how a full fledged doughnut around my stomach! Now that the summer is coming up and I have a few really fun *beach* vacations planned, I want to get to a point where I feel comfortable in a bathing suit.

I want to work towards something like 1 lb/wk - the more immediate the goal the better the reward system (I am an I/O Psychologist so I deal primarily with the role of feedback/rewards on performance). I would even like to do something daily... maybe a check-in on calories burned for the day. I don't know, I'm willing to work with any ideas so please suggest whatever you may!

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you have to say AND teaming up with you!!

Warm regards,

Becky

Replies

• apapandrea
    Options
    Hi Becky,

I would love to do this with you! I originally joined with my sister, but since starting her new job she hasn't been logging in and I've been looking for someone to do this with. I too and very results oriented, and not seeing anything immediately means that I need help motivating to keep me going toward my end results!

My weight settled into my hips when I moved from Seattle (where I walked everywhere!) to New York (hello desk job), and I want to be able to wear shorts this summer without feeling like my hips/thighs are taking over! I used to be in decent shape, but I want to be proud of my body and ready to show it off for my sister's wedding in September.

Add me as a friend if you still want company, I like the idea of checking in daily with calories burned, that way I feel more accountable for going to the gym or working out at home! As of right now I want to be going to the gym at least 5 times a week, if not more.

Best,
    Annemarie
  • yogamazinglife
    yogamazinglife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello Becky,

I'd be interested in joining in as well. I've been working toward getting fit for a while. I also have a problem with my midsection, it just won't budge!

I have a desk job as well but walk there every day (about 2 miles each way). I'm an American living in England and don't have a UK driving license yet, hence the walking.

If you're interested, add me as a friend. :)
  • yogamazinglife
    Options
    And my name is Dee, by the way :P oops!
  • naslubs14
    naslubs14 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hey ladies! Thanks for posting :) I'm fairly new to this, so I don't really know the best way to check-in our goals. Maybe we can set up a message board and give ourselves a cool name (ideas..??!!?!) then just sign on every day and record our progess on burning calories. Annemarie - I think 5 days a weeks is a fine goal! Do you guys have problems with the weekends? They seem to be my weakness :(
  • yogamazinglife
    Options
    My weekends are normally ok. I go for long runs and long workouts on the weekends and I'm helping my friend get elected to Parliament, which involves about 4 hours of walking door to door each saturday and sunday so that all counteracts any going out to eat or hitting up the pub. Plus it keeps me busy and not snacking away. My weakness is being bored at work which leads to mindless snacking.

What kind of exercise are you girls doing? There aren't any gyms close to me to join so I'm doing anything I can get my hands on at the minute. Running, long walks with friends, sprinting wall to wall in my basement, misc dvds, etc.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky! I'll join another little group to add to my support group. :smile: Plus, I know the importance of instant rewards with psych - which is why I have been fighting so hard with my plateau the last two months. :laugh:

I work out 6 days a week, sometimes 7. :smile:

On the forums you could make up a snazzy group name and start a thread. Then everyone in the group just keeps posting - that's about how it works. :wink:
  • naslubs14
    Options
    Thanks for joining Stephanie! Thanks for the input. Does anyone have any suggestions for a snazzy group name?

Dee - It seems like you got yourself in a wonderful routine for the weekends. Unfortunately, my friends aren't so ... helpful I guess is the word. And with regard to your weakness at work, I can totally relate. I bring plenty of healthy snacks with me (fruits & veggies) but there’s always some reason or another for someone to bring in some delicious homemade dessert. That is something I can NOT turn down. So today, at lunch I ate cheesecake with cherries on top AND peanut butter cup cookies. Although delicious, not the smartest of choices!

Guess I'll have to work it off tonight at the gym :ohwell:
  • apapandrea
    Options
    I don't have a good name suggestion, but I'll keep thinking!

I just ate a large lunch that included french fries- For sure hitting the gym harder tonight! and Becky I can definitely relate to friends who aren't exactly supportive (I usually get "ew!" as my response to going to the gym rather than drinking wine and watching a movie).

Weekends are my worst, I just tend to want to be outside hanging out and its hard to motivate myself to go to the gym (and it closes early on the weekends) or do exercise outside. I am really looking forward to this group and all the support! :happy:
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Hey ladies! Thanks for posting :) I'm fairly new to this, so I don't really know the best way to check-in our goals. Maybe we can set up a message board and give ourselves a cool name (ideas..??!!?!) then just sign on every day and record our progess on burning calories. Annemarie - I think 5 days a weeks is a fine goal! Do you guys have problems with the weekends? They seem to be my weakness :(

Hi Becky,
    I would like to join you all in this journey. I belong to another group that did this, but everybody seemed to go their own seperate ways. With that group we set a weekly goal of how many calories we wanted to burn. Most of us were shouting for 3500 calories, which equals 1 pound. I try to work out 5 to 6 days a week give or take. Weekends are tough for me these days, I'm in the process of selling my house and my roommate and I are usually packing and cleaning. I have the ability to workout a bit more during the week since I am one of the unlucky unemployed. I do try to maintain my calories over the weekend.

So my goal is going to be workout 5 days a week 3500 calories.
  • naslubs14
    Options
    Hey there Connie, thanks for joining! I think setting a weekly goal is great and maybe we can incorporate a daily check-in to see how much of that goal has been reached so far. This is what I think we should do -

Since we are starting today, we should set the goal from Wednesday-Tuesday. Each day we can change the ratio of how much we burned towards our goal, maybe in this format

Today: xx cal
    Total: xx/3500 cal

Everyone can obviously set whatever goal they wish to reach. Then by the following Tuesday, we can see if we met our goals completly. I will start doing my weekly weighins on Tuesdays too, so I can keep all my goal marks consistent.

Now for the name - Yeah drawing a blank! I'm usually more creative than this... :blushing: Does anyone have a specific fun goal they are working towards ? i.e. big day coming up or something?
  • naslubs14
    Options
    I'll just start it here

Today: 479 cal
    Total: 479/2000
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Here are my numbers for today

Today 542 calories
    Total 542/3500 calories
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Now for the name - Yeah drawing a blank! I'm usually more creative than this... :blushing: Does anyone have a specific fun goal they are working towards ? i.e. big day coming up or something?
    [/quote

We can do something with summer since thats coming.... How about "Spring Awakening"?
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Today: 348
    Total: 348 / 2500

I'll try to think of name ideas later. :tongue:
  • yogamazinglife
    Options
    Just realized I'm 6 hours ahead of you so I guess I'll post yesterdays numbers the next morning.

Wednesday: 505
    Total: 505/3500

Lost 1.6 pounds since yesterday too. I know I'm not supposed to really be paying attention to day-to-day loss, it should be weekly but it's still exciting!

Today's (thursday) mini goal: Stay under my cals. I know it doesn't sound like a goal, as it's what should be happening daily but it's the second Prime Ministerial Leader's Debate on SkyNews tonight at the pub. Which means a lot of beer. And a pint is about 250cals. So I need to try not to go nuts tonight. Or eat nuts. Or crisps. Or chips. I'd like to hold onto this morning's weight loss.

Names....
    Crunching Abs & Crunching Numbers (relating to our numbers checking in)
    Fit in the Sun (idea from you, Becky) or Tone in the Sun or Tone for the Sun etc etc
    Fit for Victory (play on the Digging for Victory in the Uk during WWII)
    Sweat is my Drug
    She Wants to Move
    Taking It Off
    Can't Hold Us Back

Sorry, toward the end I was just thinking of songs in my workout playlist.

--D
  • yogamazinglife
    Options
    Steph, What race did you run? I think I might be running my first this June so I start training in a week.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Hey Dee - I ran the 5K for Clean Air in Philadelphia. :) It was a great run with no waste (less than 2 trash bags of garbage for 1600 participants! Yay compost & recycling!).

I like the "sweat is my drug" that cracks me up. :laugh: I also like Fit in the Sun. :tongue:

The on that comes to me is Fitster - instead of spinster.. :laugh:
  • apapandrea
    Options
    I like that "sweat is my drug" ! hahahaha, its funny. But I think "Fit in the Sun" Or "Tone for the Sun" more aptly describes what we all seem to be doing here.

Still trying to figure out my calorie burning goal, will post numbers when I figure it out! For now my goal of the day is to stay under my calories (yesterday was a bad day, but I don't want to let it keep me down!)
  • naslubs14
    Options
    Good morning Ladies! (& Good Afternoon Dee). I really liked all the names you guys came up with. I can certainly see the Spring Awakening b/c I feel like I have been in hibernation for entirely way too long! I also liked the She Wants to Move and Sweat is my Drug. All great names! I think my final vote goes to She Wants to Move though it seems Sweat is my Drug is the most popular :wink:

I can tell you, I was about to give up on going to the gym last night b/c I worked late but I thought about having to post a 0 for the day and motivated myself to go, so this group is defiantly working for me. Thanks guys!

Dee – I weighed myself as well this morning and saw a little bit of the change, so I know exactly what you mean with getting excited (even though I really shouldn’t be haha) BTW do you drink liquor? I know nothing beats a beer in a bar setting, but I’ve recently got into Vodka and Soda… for what it is the calories really aren’t that bad (I think like 65 or 70 per drink). I just squeeze a lemon wedge in it and it doesn’t taste bad at all. Actually tastes like water with lemon haha

Stephanie – Do you live in Philly? I live about 30 miles West of Philly.

Annemarie – I felt the same way about yesterday… I ate like crap! But today is a new day, lets defiantly all set our goals to staying within our calorie amounts. Maybe that can be something else we report - if we met our calorie goals. What do you guys think?

Connie - Congrats! You burned the most calories yesterday!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Hey Becky - I live in South Jersey - about 30 minutes from Philly. :smile: I'll be moving to the DC Metropolitan area in August though for graduate school. :smile:

I think the name She Wants to Move could work too. :wink: So long as no males join the group. :laugh: I don't know if I would pick Sweat is my Drug as the name, but it just cracked me up. :laugh: My vote goes for Fit in the Sun. :wink: