Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Time for a change?

I started MFP in Sept,. 2012 at 1,200 calories. I was losing, but I was starving all the time. In November, I changed to 1,350 calories. I felt much better without the hunger pains and still lost weight, albeit at a slower rate. I have stayed with that ever since.

This past week, I didn't lose an ounce, yet I am always under. I log honestly, and I always have exercise burns to log. However, my activity/exercise levels have increased slightly since my November increase. Could this be the reason I didn't lose this week? Should I increase again?

If it helps you advise me, please note that I am a 53 yr. old menopausal woman standing 5'3" tall.

Thank you.

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Buehler?

Buehler?

*crickets*
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

This is a good BMR calculator. It estimates how much you should be eating a day rather than taking MFP's really low suggestions. Check it out!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Personally, I don't think that one week of maintenance is a sign that you need to change anything. If you want to try to increase your calories and see what it does, then I say go for it. If you are happy with your current calorie amount, I'd say stick with it. The fact that you went so long with losses means that it is working for you. The week of maintenance could be caused by A LOT of factors.
  • ilikecats01
    ilikecats01 Posts: 3 Member
    I think we will always have weeks such as this, even if we follow the plan 100%. Our bodies just need some adjustment time . . . you will catch up.
  • JanaCanada
    I guess I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong now....like maybe my body needs a change in order to get losing again. I have been dutiful with this plan, logging honestly and keeping under my daily allowance, but perhaps my body is rejecting the plan and I need a new plan?
  • auntiecyndy
    auntiecyndy Posts: 17 Member
    Hey....I'm here...I am 54 and peri-menopausal. I know how you feel. I've been at this game a long time. I think we have to just hang in there. For myself, I notice that I hang on to the weight for 2 or 3 weeks and then if I jog my exercise, I lose again. Change things a bit, like the incline on the treadmill or an extra 5 minutes walking. good luck
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Losing weight isn't linear. Some weeks you lose, some weeks you don't, now and then you could even gain a tad. Don't worry about it. Sounds to me like you have a handle on the process. Just hang in there and it will be ok.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Well, first I'd say that if you've been losing something each and every week prior to this, congrats! I sure never have. In fact, I now only weigh once a month because I would get frustrated with what the scale said (even though I knew better) if I weighed weekly. I totally agree that weight loss is usually not linear and we all vary up/down a bit until a real loss may show up on the scale. So, really, I wouldn't sweat a week without showing a scale loss. It could be a tad extra water weight.

Also, if exercise is relatively new to you, you might have a bit of water being retained while the muscles heal/rebuild from your workout. It's just part of the healing process.

If you feel comfortable eating at that amount, I wouldn't lower your calories. Especially if you were hungry at the lower amount. Some folks start upping their calories a bit and then their bodies will drop some of the weight. I tried it and it didn't work for me. I'm guessing it might be because I'm post-menopausal but....well, that's just a guess. But you might give it a try. The whole process is a bit complicated, as are the hormonal reasons why it can work, so you might want to check out the MFP group "Eat More to Weigh Less" for more information about doing it.

I agree that you might just need to shake up your exercise routine a bit. If you've been doing the same most of the time since starting, you might need to increase your time or intensity, or both. If you're not lifting, you might want to give it a try. It helps lose inches even if the scale shows no loss. And, really, I don't know about you but I couldn't care less how much I weigh as long as I can end up wearing my goal size pants!
  • JanaCanada
    OK...question: Went to the "scooby" link and did my calculations. Turns out, my BMR is 1740 and my TDEE is 2392. If I eat between that, then that means I can eat 2066 cals/day. Does that sound right? I mean, I've been at 1350 cals./day, so according to this calculation, I have been UNDER eating. Weird science.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    The only other bit of advice I have been given is look primarily at 'intentional' exercise, the extras you do as a workout. The regular stuff, stairs, daily chores, work are theoretically figured in your 'lifestyle'. So *sigh* I don't count the cooking and cleaning, lawn mowing anymore....(um, let's make that snow shoveling) unless it truly is added effort.
  • JanaCanada
    The only other bit of advice I have been given is look primarily at 'intentional' exercise, the extras you do as a workout. The regular stuff, stairs, daily chores, work are theoretically figured in your 'lifestyle'. So *sigh* I don't count the cooking and cleaning, lawn mowing anymore....(um, let's make that snow shoveling) unless it truly is added effort.

Even if you started your calculations by choosing "sedentary"?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    I chose sedentary and only log intentional exercise. Never cleaning or any other normal activity.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I am 5' 1", 50 y.o. and also in menopause. According to most calculators, my BMR is around 1200 (MFP says 1056 -- too low in my opinion). I am at least moderately active, some weeks highly active (some of my workouts are very high-calorie burns) -- so my maintenance calories are anywhere from 1812 to close to 2000 -- so I decided to set my calories/goals manually and I eat 1500-1600 daily. That said, I also want to only lose a few pounds, or at least maintain my current weight, so I only lose about 1/2 - 1 lb. every 3-4 weeks, but that's ok with me! What I've learned is that I lose that 1/2 lb. or so when I increased my calories -- nothing at all was happening at 1200-1400. I think there really is something to the Eat More to Weigh Less concept. So, you might give it another week or so, then increase your calories by 100-150, although I don't know how much you want to lose, or what your deficit should be. Your BMR and TDEE are quite a bit higher than mine, so I think you'll see results!

By the way, looking for a few new friends around my age group, (or others, that's fine!) so send a friend request if you'd like! I am a great "cheerleader" for my pals.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    While one week of no weight change is to be expected you might want to check out this link to figure out your numbers...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12