Help i want to give up

Options
I started in January, weight was coming off easy, my determination was steel, i never cracked, i always worked out when i needed......lost a stone..GREAT!:happy: then i hit the wall. its been over a month and nothing. The longer i go with out losing, the less i try and the more i give in. Iam still working out, iam running about 15 miles a week with the odd gym/swim session. So iam keeping fit but cant say iam doing as well with the food. But it seems even when i do stick to it i lose nothing. Dieting is easy when you are losing weight. Iam trying to keep my work outs varied, iam intending to work out 4-6 times a week from now. i been doing 3-4. So iam not sure what i can do on the work out front but how do i get that determination to be good with food back!:sad:

Replies

• Aoide
    Aoide Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on your salt intake, that can help. Also, make sure that your target weight is realistic for your body type.
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been at a plateau for over a month also. Just keep up thte work and it will just fall off one day. Also keep track of your measurements and how your clothes are fitting. You may find you are losing inches and gaining muscle.

Good luck and don't give up
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I here ya. I am the same, barely losing 3 pounds since the beginning of March. Just remind yourself that your body will do its own thing. You know the things you need to do and and you have to keep doing them. You want to be committed to health for life, not just for when it is easy. These are the things I keep reminding myself of everyday. Keep going and don't give in.

Also, don't beat yourself up for not keeping with it right now. Just say to yourself that the weekness was yesterday and today is a new day. You CAN do it.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i've only lost a lb since i think November, and i have been doing the same, still working out but eating like crap....once you realize that the pounds are slowly coming back, i think you will try harder....my last weigh in said i had gained 5lbs! most of it is becasue it wasnt my normal weigh in day and i ate like a horse the night before i weighed, but it motivated me to stay under my calories this week! i am not going back to 140 ever~!!!!!!!!!!
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    don't give up honey. we are here for you.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Your body has a weight it's comfortable at so you have to trick it into thinking it's not so comfortable. I'm so used to plateaus but they do pass. Just stick with it. You have to keep the food under control though. It doesn't matter how much you work out if you keep eating all the wrong foods. Chin up! You can do this.
  • aedfit
    aedfit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't quit!!!! I came across these 5 tips for breaking a plateau:

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing.

2. Strength Training
    If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine
    So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise (such as HIIT).

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake
    Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit.

5. Change Meal Frequency
    If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.

Good Luck, stay strong. You can do this.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've been very discouraged this week. Eating right and trying to exercise almost everyday is not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm trying to not give up because even though weight loss is a slow painstaking process it will be better if I stick with it in the long run. My supervisor whom is also on myfitnesspal said I should start taking my measurements because if I'm not loosing pounds I should at least be loosing inches. GOOD LUCK! :)
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Don't quit!!!! I came across these 5 tips for breaking a plateau:

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing.

2. Strength Training
    If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine
    So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise (such as HIIT).

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake
    Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit.

5. Change Meal Frequency
    If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.

Good Luck, stay strong. You can do this.

These are great tips! I'm definitely going to use these when I hit a plateau. Thanks :)
  • rbc_racing
    rbc_racing Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on your salt intake, that can help. Also, make sure that your target weight is realistic for your body type.

Be careful with cutting salt when your running alot, sodium isnt all bad and it is an important electrolyte your body loses alot when your running long distances
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    You really are doing great. From your ticker you are half way to your goal. And with only another 15lbs left to lose you have to expect that it will be a slow process.
  • gemmaturvey
    gemmaturvey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, i appreciate it. I Just got back from the gym and i will be off for a 4 mile run in the morning. Tomorrow will be a new day and new start. All the tips sound good. Think i need to look in to the salt thing, i do tend to put a lot of salt in my food.
  • llyndon
    llyndon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are going to cut out table salt then make sure you do something to replace your electroytes since you run. Maybe gatorade? NOT diet either!