Plateau :(

Options
Has anyone got tips to get past a plateau? I have lost 10kg, still have a lot to go, however, I seem to have hit a plateau. My diary is open, but the last couple of days have not been very good, ladies would understand why.

Open to suggestions and tips to break this.

Cheers

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Hm, I can't see your diary. However, I recently got through a plateau by increasing my calorie intake a little.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't showing it's open for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Plateaus consist of 6 weeks or more of no weight loss IF one has been consistent with intake and exercise. If less than that it's a stall. Most stalls happen because of inconsistency.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JasonsSoulMate
    JasonsSoulMate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sorry thought it was open, it was set to friends, it is now open
  • JasonsSoulMate
    Options
    Plateaus consist of 6 weeks or more of no weight loss IF one has been consistent with intake and exercise. If less than that it's a stall. Most stalls happen because of inconsistency.

IDEA Fitness member
    My weight hasn't altered very much over the last 5 weeks... been up and down slightly
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try exercising more. I've never hit a plateau... but that's what I'd do if I did. :p
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    My weight hasn't altered very much over the last 5 weeks... been up and down slightly
    Keep going. If you're consistent (meaning you're not disrupting by splurging, or going over calories) then the stall may break soon.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JasonsSoulMate
    Options
    Try exercising more. I've never hit a plateau... but that's what I'd do if I did. :p
    Yup sure that works, if you don't have 3 children you need to take care of, one of which has been sick the last few days. And you're blessed to have never hit one.
  • LIttleCamel
    Options
    Perhaps try upping your calories? I was stuck for months at the same weight until I increased my calorie intake by a few hundred a day.

Have you been tracking waist/arm measurements, etc? Sometimes your weight may stay the same but you are losing inches.

Just be patient, it will happen :)
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    You've got to mix it up. Do new exercises, increase intensity of your work outs (not necessarily time, since you're so busy, but adding length can help), eat new foods, try calorie cycling.....mix it up!
  • JasonsSoulMate
    Options
    Calorie cycling? I have been trying to mix up the exercise, have added in cycling and weights in the last week to walking and swimming.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    That's great! Just keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll push through. And I'm glad you're doing weights, that is awesome!

Calorie cycling is where you eat different total amounts every day. There's a theory that your body gets used to the same amount of calories every day and stalls out, like eating exactly 1500 every day. So some people advocate calorie cycling - where you average your calorie goal over 7 days, and eat different amounts every day. Like 1200 one day, 1700 another, 1500 another, etc. so that the total averages out to 1500 per day (or whatever your goal is).

I just got out of a 6 month plateau!! It's about being consistent and changing things up and finding what works.
  • LKaye3626
    LKaye3626 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For advice to overcome plateaus join this group today Star moves .

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/11189-star-moves-plateau-breakers
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are annoying! I'm going to suggest something completely different to all the other answers here - I'd suggest changing your diet quite a bit. I had a look at your diary and feel that you could stop eating some things and choose much better substitutes.

I would stop eating these things: white bread, processed meat (sausages/ham), ANY McDonalds, sugary cereal (Coco Pops), as well as other treat like things such as: Dorritos, chocolate, icecream and popcorn.

You also need to eat a LOT more fruits and vegetables. A LOT. :happy:

I wrote a blog on this topic just yesterday, here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wickedwendy6/view/feed-your-body-not-your-tongue-471162

I can also help you in a BIG way with support and motivation - if you're interested, message me and I'll let you know how. :happy:

Keep smiling, Wendy.
  • Sherman7057
    Sherman7057 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are annoying! I'm going to suggest something completely different to all the other answers here - I'd suggest changing your diet quite a bit. I had a look at your diary and feel that you could stop eating some things and choose much better substitutes.

I would stop eating these things: white bread, processed meat (sausages/ham), ANY McDonalds, sugary cereal (Coco Pops), as well as other treat like things such as: Dorritos, chocolate, icecream and popcorn.

You also need to eat a LOT more fruits and vegetables. A LOT. :happy:

I wrote a blog on this topic just yesterday, here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wickedwendy6/view/feed-your-body-not-your-tongue-471162

I can also help you in a BIG way with support and motivation - if you're interested, message me and I'll let you know how. :happy:

Keep smiling, Wendy.

Truth is in this statement! :) My suggestion is to balance out your ratios! 40/40/20
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Try eating a diet that contains a balance of all the food groups and nutrients your body needs - certain nutrients can help with monthly cravings and related issues, others have been linked with lower body fat in the research, many are involved in energy production and the metabolism. IMO particularly concentrate on long chain omega-3s, minerals and fibre.

I went back a few days: you barely eat any vegetables or fruit (should have seven to nine), no oily fish, little reduced fat dairy (should have three), little mineral and fibre rich foods (beans, lentils, nuts seeds, wholegrains), most of your carbs are white so one day you tracked just 1g of fibre (US recommends 14g per 1000 cals). Aim to get your sugary/ refined/ processed/ junk/ fast foods down to 10% of daily calories, some days it's two thirds. If your cocoa is made with pure cocoa powder keep that - cocoa is a source of minerals - milk chocolate doesn't count it's packed with sugar.