Sweet Potatoes/ Yams and GI Levels

Options
Okay, so I know that if you bake either of these in the oven for 45 minutes there GI levels can raise quits drastically. I've been told to boil them, but I'm a real big fan of eating the skin and prefer to actually microwave them. So does it hurt to microwave them? Yams and Sweet Potatoes have become a huge stable in my diet so I'm concerned about spiking my blood sugar. I follow a High-Moderate Carb/Moderate Protien/ Low Fat diet and so far have gone from 185 to 140 by eating Oatmeal and Yam/Sweet Potatoes as my main carb sources. If I'm only eating whole foods should I be concerned about my GI levels? I also realize there is a difference between Yams and Sweet Potatoes.

Replies

• Rtgabe
    Rtgabe Posts: 4
    Options
    Anyone?
  • amwisner
    amwisner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This study shows microwaving as increasing the GI: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDsQFjAC&url=http://ncsu.edu/foodscience/USDAARS/Acrobatpubs/S114-150/S141.pdf&ei=MA3zUP37EPGk2gWP4YGAAQ&usg=AFQjCNETn_qXv7Y0OPtLQeQAEtSAMO-Nmg&sig2=YggdIXTTXfRsOyOkqVD1Yw.
    However, it appears eating with skin may lower the GI and mashing may increase the GI since you're breaking fiber bonds. Boiling may literally wash out some of the sugar (and nutrition). There are a lot of contradictory articles, so I would say in summary to enjoy your sweet potatoes the way you like them except don't mash, but probably limit your consumption to one small one per day.
  • Rtgabe
    Options
    Well.. my only problem is, I'm currently doing a Higher carb/ Medium Protein/ Low Fat Diet and most of my carb sources (besides my bowl of Oats in the morning) come from either yams, or sweet potatoes. Not much else. Is this a problem? Can I cause blood sugar or insulin spikes by eating too many carbs in one sitting? I'm still maintaining weight and I don't want to loose anymore(I'm currently at 140)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Well.. my only problem is, I'm currently doing a Higher carb/ Medium Protein/ Low Fat Diet and most of my carb sources (besides my bowl of Oats in the morning) come from either yams, or sweet potatoes. Not much else. Is this a problem? Can I cause blood sugar or insulin spikes by eating too many carbs in one sitting? I'm still maintaining weight and I don't want to loose anymore(I'm currently at 140)
    If your worried about blood sugar why are you on a high carb diet?
  • Rtgabe
    Options
    My initial impression was that if I ate Low GI and complex carbs then I wasn't at a risk for blood sugar spikes. I realize that eating things like refined breads, white rice and other high GI carbs I would be doing my blood pressure no good. Honestly, I just started following the diet Myfitnesspal gave me and it helped me loose 40 pounds, but now I'm conceded about my blood sugar. Just certain moments throughout the day I feel like my meals might be giving me "spikes" because of the amount of carbs I consume in one sitting (I eat 4 meals a day)

I also had some skin problems in the past that I attached to being overweight and "fats." I don't know, I'm experimenting. I was diagnosed with mild rosacea and I always thought "fats," (wether good or bad) were a trigger for me. So I eliminated them for the most part and stuck to protein and carbs. I lost 40 pounds, retained a lot of muscle and am currently at a pretty low BF %. I might try incorporating some fats back into my diet to avoid spikes.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Any GI rating of foods is based on an average of readings from people in a study. Most of whom, if I recall, have no blood glucose issues. You never know for sure YOUR OWN reaction to foods. The GI ratings are basically a guideline to shoot for. Glucose monitors are cheap-ish. (The strips aren't.) No one says you can't test foods yourself, in particular if you're worried about your glucose levels. No prescription needed.