Tender/bruised lower calf

Options
I've started to run about 2 months ago and ever since then I've always had pain on the front of my lower calves (bone area). It feels bruised but there's no discoloration. It's tender to touch. Anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• ElaineRochelle
    Options
    Is it the inner part of your lower calf?

It could be a tibialis strain (tendon). This can happen from suddenly increasing in intensity or shoes that do not have accurate support.. or it can happen from your arch collapsing as you walk / run .. Get it checked out, otherwise it could set back your fitness program for awhile!!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry.... I have the same! I have stopped running for over a week already and it still not gone. I have been advised to rest, elevate etc. I have been rubbing in one of those ibuprofen gels and it seems to be easing pain, but tried running again but had to stop! Be careful

X
  • SMN1392
    SMN1392 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's more of the front area near the bone. Going to the doctor this week to check it out
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. Caused from running too much without rest days and heal striking with worn out shoes. You need to RICE= Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
    Rest - don't run every day.
    Ice - after your run ice the area.
    Compression - With a sports bandage "self adhering elastic bandage".
    Elevation - prop your feet up.