Ladies and Weight Lifting

Options
I have seen many posts asking about what exercises you should do to get nice abs, or how to get a round butt.

Here is a great article on the benefits of us women doing compound and heavy lifting in order to get the slick, lean bodies we all desire to have.

If you have been told by cosmo you only need your 3lb weights, know they are doing you a disservice.

We are as powerful as we push ourselves to be!!

http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/exercise/weight-training/should-women-train-and-lift-weights-like-men/

Replies

• ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    cant wait until i get started!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    this is what I want to do.. get stronger and change my body composition. I'm underweight and I still have belly fat! but I'm having a hard time finding the right program to start with, everyone just says "lift heavy!" but I have no idea what to do
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    these are good :

new rules of lifting for women (book)
    starting strength (excellent book)
    strong lifts (website and ebook)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Preach it!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I do more lifting than cardio and have lost much more body fat since I realized how awesome weight training is.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    <
    Only started lifting as heavy as I could to failure point a few weeks ago and my body is already starting to change shape and get definition. Best thing I started to do. Still a way to go, but now I know that my sensible calorie deficit and lifting routine is going to get me the body I thought I could only dream of at my age as few months ago.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the article when im on my laptop
  • kducotey
    kducotey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I love lifting! I love feeling powerful and strong. About a week ago I finally learned how to squat and deadlift properly and I love it so much!! other ladies have no idea how great it is and makes you feel.
    Any other fellow lady lifters feel free to add me!
  • MrsLg
    MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Do you all go to the gym for your lifting? Is it possible to do it at home with little expense? Sorry if this is a stupid question!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Do you all go to the gym for your lifting? Is it possible to do it at home with little expense? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

I can't get out to a gym at the moment so I have a mainly compound routine I do at home 3 days a week. I bought york dumbells which are currently up to 20kg, but I can just purchase more weights later as I need them, and an incline/flat bench.

If you google 'Weight Training with dumbells, there are a lot of sites giving routines and descriptions & videos of the exercises. It does not matter if the sites look like they are aimed at men, we ladies can do it too. We (may) just not go as far as we increase the weights.
  • rvhorsburgh
    rvhorsburgh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Robin - holy moley - Nice BACK. I'm on my way :bigsmile:
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting.. My favorite at the gym! I take a PowerCut class 2 days per week. A class taught by women and packed full of women! We do everything, deadlifts, squats, lunges, clean and presses, triceps, biceps, back, and chest! All with weights. We are encourage to challenge ourselves and lift heavy, with correct form of course. I also do kickboxing, tabata, and TRX on the other days!