How to eat when the doctor puts you on a diet

Options
My doctor recently told me that I have a slow emptying stomach. which means I do not digest my food between meals. He has put me on a low to no fiber diet as it takes longer to break down.
My frustration is trying to continue my healthy eating journey while trying to maintain a healthy me. There is fiber in everything.

I know planning is the key but I am getting tired of not being able to eat fresh fruit and vegetable....

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    why the he|| would he put you on a NO fiber diet when that's what gets you to poop? he could kill you!!! i'm really confused how this could help you DIGEST your food...without fiber...
  • sandra400
    sandra400 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    look up low residue diet it will give you ideas as to what u can eat. they use it for people who r going to have colonoscopys and diverticulitus and a few other gastro aliments.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    That does sound kind of odd... Have you researched this yourself at all?
    I would suggest either getting a second opinion, or talking to a dietitian about how to work this diet into your lifestyle. I couldn't imagine going the rest of my life without eating fruits or veggies!
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you get an appointment with a dietrition or a nutritionist if you need help deciding what to eat. Also, you may want to get a second opinion about your diagnosis if you think this is not a healthy change or if you do not agree with the diagnosis. You may also want to research your condition on the Mayo clinic website or the CDC website.
  • aippolito1
    Options
    Or nuts...or grains... or meat.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but fiber seems an essential part to any diet. And fruits and veg are very important for all aspects of your health. Instead of eliminating something maybe there is a food that helps digestion. Maybe you could do a search on the internet. As others have said, I would get a second opinion or go talk to a dietician.
  • Sunshinechic
    Sunshinechic Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm very confused:noway: Everything that I have learned about fiber, is that it works like a broom and sweeps the waste out of your body. I think I would get a second opinion:smile: If you don't eat fiber, how are you going to get rid of waste?? Just curious!!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I just read that asparagus, lemon & other citrusy fruits, salmon (and anything high in omega-3s - you could TAKE omega 3s or just eat a lot of fish. tilapia is also a very good source of omega 3s) all aid in digestion.
  • weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    I agree with others, I would obtain a second opinion; if my doctor told me what he told you without setting you up with an appointment for a nutritionist, that is wrong.

Please seek a second opinion immediately.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Actually we don't need fiber and for many, many people it acts as an irritant inside the body.

Drinking lots of water, eating plenty of fats will keep your digestive system in good order and let the body heal if fiber is the culprit.

And before anyone comes on here and starts bashing me, do your research and read before hand.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    you can still eat some fresh fruits and veggies. watermelon is very low fiber. also, canteloupe, honeydew melon, grapes. a little higher (but still low) are squash/zucchini, tomatos, asparagus, grapefruit and peaches. also, drink juices instead of eating the real thing (like apple juice, strawberry juice, etc).

good luck. my sister has something similar (gastro paralysis) and she is also on a low fiber diet. i'll bet if you googled low fiber diet recipes, you would hit on a few things you could try. in fact, try this website: http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/recipeCategory?category.fiberDietary+orderBy.fiberDietary_o
  • angela8
    angela8 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have researched every aspect of a low fiber diet and I am doing a decent job of staying withing my calorie limit while not eating fiber. I am actually eating more protien now so getting rid of waste isn't an issue.
    Thank you for all your comments I feel alone in this issue and I do not know anyone who has ever had this condition.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Actually we don't need fiber and for many, many people it acts as an irritant inside the body.

Drinking lots of water, eating plenty of fats will keep your digestive system in good order and let the body heal if fiber is the culprit.

And before anyone comes on here and starts bashing me, do your research and read before hand.

YES, completely agreed from someone with a family history of IBD.

And many may not realize that low fiber diets are essential to those with chronic IBD or Crohn's. High protein/fat diets assist in lessening cramping, loose stools, and other related problems.

Our body can function fine with little to no fiber.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

YES, completely agreed from someone with a family history of IBD.

And many may not realize that low fiber diets are essential to those with chronic IBD or Crohn's. High protein/fat diets assist in lessening cramping, loose stools, and other related problems.

Our body can function fine with little to no fiber.

I agree with this also! I have IBS and other digestive problems and fiber is not my friend. I have been a totally different person since I started eating more protein and healthy fats. Though I still can't eat red meat:(
  • angela8
    angela8 Posts: 9
    Options
    The hardest thing I am finding is what to eat for dinner. I don't get to eat what the rest of the family is eating unless I make it to my diet. I can force the family to eat healthy but I can't force them to eat what I have to. Last night I had a baked potato with no skin. Not the yummiest of meals.