Frustrated with my Polar FT7

Options
My HRM hasn't been working properly for a while. I have washed it, tried cleaning it with vinegar, cleaned the snaps. I rinse after every use. I have changed the batteries, and recently checked the batteries (still good). Still I get intermittent readings. I think it is reading too high. Sometimes during a work out it registers like 220, then drops to 00. The other day it froze at about 149, and I had to restart it to get it working agian. It is a couple years old, but I admit it wasn't used much over the last year (had problems before that too, which is why I changed batteries), so it should be okay.

Any Suggestions? Should I be looking at replacing it? If I do what should I buy? I know I am going to be leery of polar based on my experience with this one, although I should say I do love my HRM which is why it is frustrating that it isn't working properly now that I want to get back to being faithful to working out and watching food intake. Sigh!

Replies

• JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Let me know what you find. My FT4 is doing the same thing! I sent it in to have the battery changed. Didn't help.
  • anfruth
    Options
    That's the thing with heart rate monitors - after awhile they can just stop working.

Have you been periodically checking your heart rate reading against your pulse while working out (counting for 10s then multiplying by 6) to know that the reading is off? Is your chest strap slipping - that could be why it poops out occasionally.

I wouldn't let this one experience get you down on Polar. They are widely recognized as one of the best brands for HRMs. Other goods brands are Garmin, Timex...

I mean, I'd keep trying to get it to work - make sure the strap isn't slipping and test the readings to make sure it's accurate. If it's not close to being accurate and it's not slipping, and you're having more issues, yeh, it's probably time to get a new one.

To know what specific type you should get depends on what your needs are. I suppose you could just buy a new FT7.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem with my Polar RS100! I just bought it like a month ago, and at first it worked awesome, but it always seems to do crazy things now. I know I'm not dead, and I know I'm not having a heart attack, so it's readings of 250 and 00 are wrong. I have found that if I make it start taking my readings away from any electrical equipment, and then start my workout, it does tend to take more accurate readings. Still, paying over $50 bucks for something that only works half of the time is ridiculous!
  • Corrie62
    Corrie62 Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to have to get a new HRM sometime soon, just hope I can make this one do for a while longer. I am also trying to snug up the strap more. That seems to help...at least it did today