Binge eating is a major problem & I'm trying to overcome it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hopeful_
    Hopeful_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What crankster said also is true, you need to be eating more everyday so up your calories and you may not feel like bingeing because you aren't so hungry. Good luck!

I know, I admit i do have a bad relationship with food, but i do still enjoy it, I don't have a "fear" of it, but also, during the past wekk I've given up logging some of my binges because there was just SO many things to log and I knew roughly in my head how many calories I'd consumed, I feel like I do still hold myself accountable for my binges. But i understand your concern, on that particular day I made a special effort to track to the gym 2 miles away, hence my guilt! :P
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Looking over your diary, it doesn't look like you binge all the time, either that, or you're not logging everything you eat.

The goal is to stay as close to your goals as possible 90% of the time. Don't try to avoid foods that you think are bad because you are now on a "diet". Restricting yourself just makes you really want what you can't have. Buy a little, what you can eat in one setting, not a whole bag and try and tell yourself you'll just have "one". I love poptarts, but I don't like 400 cals for a snack, so now I munch on the Special K Pastry Crisps which are like the baby brothers to a full grown poptart. Same thing only smaller and 100 cals...satisfies the want for a poptart.

I will occasionally look at my wife on a workout night, tell her to we are going to skip the gym and go get a pizza and veg out in front of the TV. Sometimes you need a night like that. And it's NOT going to ruin anything. It's just a night. It's just being a normal person with normal cravings and having some fun in life.

It's going to take time, it's going to be this way for the rest of your life, adjust so that you can maintain this for the rest of your life. If you have to lose a little less a week so that you can maintain a calorie deficit, then so be it. Exercise more to increase your deficit and so you will look SO AWESOME when you reach the look and weight you want.
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    I have the same problem! But I've stopped doing it.

My binges at Christmas/New Year days were over 3000 kcal.
    I gained 3 lbs but lost it.

What i do is simple. Here is what has helped me (i don't know if it works for others) so far:

1. Just find something with flavour. I drink coffee with milk (44kcal) and 2 sweeteners (0kcal) or a cup of tea. When it comes to tea and coffee,I just play with flavours. I have many tea flavours such as green tea with jasmine and green tea with orange and plain green tea. I have lots of herbal tea bags such as sage,peppermint,cinnamon,mint etc. I strongly recommend earl grey flavour. It's black tea with pergamonto. As for the coffee,I like filter coffee with milk and sweeteners! I also have low cal chocolate powder. I make a chocolate beverage and I put milk and it's a total of 80 kcal. I love using sugar free gums as well. I may eat 2-3 in a day.

2. When you think of food,clean a room. The satisfaction you get after finishing the whole cleaning is that big you don't have to eat extra. It's also great exercise.

3. Take care of yourself when you think of food. I usually do my nails or pluck my eyebrows or just a face mask. We always need something.

4. Go out and walk. You won't be thinking of food when you're around people! Going out has helped me a lot! :D

5. Listen to the music and danzaaa! Express those feelings with body language :P

6. And if you want to eat something really really bad then do not torture your soul and have it. But don't over do it. :)

7. And have a treat once a week. I may have 3 times a week but as a breakfast. For example,I may have a sandwich and 2 pieces of chocolate as breakfast. It's satisfying i must confess :D
  • Hopeful_
    Options

It's going to take time, it's going to be this way for the rest of your life, adjust so that you can maintain this for the rest of your life. If you have to lose a little less a week so that you can maintain a calorie deficit, then so be it. Exercise more to increase your deficit and so you will look SO AWESOME when you reach the look and weight you want.

This is very encouraging, and true, that recently I haven't been aiming for a goal I could maintain for life, so thank you!
  • Peaches160
    Peaches160 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hopeful_
    Options
    LouMonoLou - I will try those tips, you're so positive, thank you!
  • Hopeful_
    Options
    are there any book titles/more tips that might help? today was not good again, but the root of the stress will be over on thursday, so I'm hoping I can have a healthy week!
  • Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    You've probably heard this a million times, but get rid of the junk food! Get rid of the cake,and crisps and stuff and load on fruit, veggies, and I personally find this very helpful, unsweetened tea with lemon, lemonade and chewing gum. They have little or no calories, but you can chew/drink them for a long time...hope this helps :D and you can add me as a friend, I'm more than happy to provide support :D
  • Staceyhughes021289
    Options
    I need support and encouragement people please help me out and add me staceyhughes021289
  • PamPeekeMD
    Options
    Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is an addiction and your best hope is to treat it very seriously.

Substance abuse researchers say that the brain adaptions that result from regularly eating so-called hyperpalatable foods – foods that layer salt, fat, and sweet flavors, proven to increase consumption – are likely to be more difficult to change than those from cocaine or alcohol because they involve many more neural pathways. Almost 90 percent of the dopamine receptors in the vental tegmental area (VTA) of the brain are activated in response to food cues.

Brand-new research also shows direct evidence of lasting and fundamental injuries to a part of the brain that helps us regulate our food intake, the hypothalamic arcuate nucleus. Within three days of being placed on a high-fat diet, a rat’s hypothalamus (the area of the brain that responds to the hormones that signal hunger and satiety, pair and maternal bonding and certain social behavior) shows increased inflammation; within a week, researchers see evidence of permanent scarring and neuron injury in an area of the brain crucial for weight control. Brain scans of obese men and women show this exact pattern as well.

The good news -- and there IS good news -- is that a program of foods high in dopamine- and serotonin-boosting chemicals, along with numerous brain-amping activities (from simple exercise to listening to music) can regrow those receptors and bring the confidence of fulfillment and health. There is lots of low-cost help available to you, from 12-step programs to the latest research in the science of food addiction to exercise to free meditation classes in your area. Just believe and continue to reach out. :)