Ideas for mangos?

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
I bought 3 mangos yesterday 'cause they were on sale and I tried eating 1/2 this morning for breakfast and could NOT choke it down. I'm thinking I could use the rest of them (2 1/2 mangos!!!) in smoothies... what would you guys suggest adding other than the mangos to help kind of mask the taste or make it taste better? I have some bananas, 2% milk, honey, and possibly some evaporated milk at home that I could use. Would this work? I don't have any yogurt but I have some half&half to thicken it up. Ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    are they ripe? mangos r already sweet haha
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I don't know! How do you know if they're ripe? They're green & red in color. I've never seen or tried a mango so I'm not sure...
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    how about mango sorbet??
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't know! How do you know if they're ripe? They're green & red in color. I've never seen or tried a mango so I'm not sure...

When they are rip, they are more red/ orange /yellow.. Little to No green!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I went out for dinner the other night and ordered halibut with mango salsa!! It was amazing!!! I don't know exactly what was in it but I bought mango's the very next day just to make mango salsa. I plan on making it tonight so if I remember I will let you know how it is.
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I've had mango salsa too! :happy: Pretty good. I don't have any more $ to buy the rest of the salsa's ingredients :\ Otherwise, I'd make it. So should I just wait for them to change color and then use them? I'm scared. :(
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    you can also make it into a pudding, kinda like a baby food :) but it taste sooo good :)

all you gotta do it boil it with a little water and add honey (sugar whatever you can use) or dont add any :tongue:

its good :)

or like you said a salad one :)

when their ripe they are red, yellow and orange. its ok if they have a little green :) but if it is like more green than its not ready yet.

i usually buy them when they are a little green so i know it still good if i dont eat it on the same day
  • ecalderon
    Options
    You could slice the mango add lime and a dash of salt and hot sauce (optional) in a zip lock bag and shake. It sounds wierd but it taste so good. You could also make a mango chuntney to put over chicken as a healthy topping.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Wait for them to ripen. Was the flesh pretty firm when you bit into it? It should be soft, almost like really ripe cantaloupe.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I put mango in my smoothies all the time (along with some mango sorbet), but i buy prefrozen chunks of mango. You also could probably just chop some up and toss it into a jar of premade salsa with a bit of lime. I have mango and lime salsa from Safeway and it's delicious! I've never had them fresh before, so I can't help much there.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Make sure too that the mango is soft not rock hard or squishy feeling