Mandatory Calorie Counts

Options

Replies

• swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Case in point...I'm planning out my menu/grocery list for the week. I'm going to Moe's BBQ for a trivia night on Thursday. It's a chain restaurant, and only a few select items have nutrition facts. Also, the nutrition is listed as 'one ounce" and things like that, so you have no idea how many ounces the sandwich actually is. My choices are either to just eat beforehand and just get a diet coke there (hoping I'll have enough willpower not to eat when everyone else is), or make that my "cheat meal" which is frustrating because that's not what I'd normally choose for my weekly cheat. Having dieting getting in the way of having a social life is one reason people give up...I can't believe this information is not readily available!
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Love it! So helpful when making food choices.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i support calorie counts on menus. i wish they'd do it voluntarily. calorie counts are already on every commercially available food product.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Well, I always either ask for nutrition facts when I eat out or look it up so this will just make things easier for me. But for people who don't obsess about what they eat like I do, it may be eye opening to many people when they realize what they are eating. And it may help many people make better choices.
  • angelahigdon1
    Options
    I work at McDonald's in Illinois and they have already voluntarily listed all of the calories in everything on each menu board, inside and out. This was about 4-5 months ago. It hasn't hurt business at all, trust me. We do 3 million plus a year in sales at our one restaurant in a town of 10,000. Also, if you go to mcdonalds.com you can find all of the nutrition info on any item there. You can add and subtract ingredients to see how they change. You can also download a pdf to your phone so you always have it handy. I have it on my phone, since I start work at 5 am and work 9 hours a day, its hard to not eat there.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think this is good to a degree.. most businesses are already posting caloric and nutritional info and this will nudge the ones who aren't into it.

Hardees for example among the fast food chains doesn't post a lot of nutritional info.. they post some on their website and people have tried to figure it out on other websites but the info is incomplete. Sheetz by comparison has a lovely tool on their website that you can figure out any combination of order or ingredients easily.

The only downside I see really is it is a hardship for the restaurant to post all calories of all items in print that you can read that you could access in a drive-through. I think it's enough if they have the information accurately posted somewhere whether online or on paper or both.. I even have a couple of apps on my phone that will tell you calories in major restaurant chain's food.

Some people aren't going to read or understand what those numbers mean no matter how much you put it in their face, so why bother trying to post it at the drive-through if the info is available inside or online? The people who want the information will look it up anyway. I just want them to all have it where you can look it up accurately somehow.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the other day how great it would be if restaurants had the calories of every menu item.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    For those who are technologically comfortable then going ot your cell and looking up info is a piece of cake, but let me give you a good example of why public posting (yes I know an initial expense but it's for those with more than 20 locations) would help. My hubby would do the drive through since he is on the road a lot. I started asking him what he had then looking it up and telling him what he ate. Huge eye opener for him. I think that folks on MFP are going to scoff at this but they are already tech savvy. MFP'ers re not in the majority and this might help many folks make at least marginally better choices since folks are not going to stop going to drive ins and large restaurants.

I agree. And even though I am savvy with technology, It is so much better to just look to the right and see the calories and make a better decision. Healthcare is a business too, so hopefully it will hurt the healthcare business by creating less sick people.

The sick people are actually HURTING the health care industry. Chronically ill people use up ridiculous amounts of resources and hospitals are constantly operating in the red. And a large portion of these people are underinsured. Physicians often don't get reimbursed for the work they put into trying to manage these patients.

Keeping people healthy saved EVERYONE money.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think it's great! I love being an informed consumer. When I go out to eat, I almost always take nutritional information into account when choosing my meal.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's a very good thing. We need more education and information on what is being fed to us. Sunlight is good. Companies need to be responsible in providing that information in an easily understood way. This will also foster more competition among restaurants, some customers will seek out the more nutritious food and those companies will be rewarded for creating delicious, healthy stuff to eat.
  • kristaleighwhite
    kristaleighwhite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not American but I would love to see that happening here in Canada. I think it really could impact decisions people make about the types of food to eat. For example I LOVE Thai express but if it was staring me in the face that each "Serving" of pad thai has over 1000 calories when I went to order, I may reconsider!!

Most chains in Canada actually already do this; you can usually find the nutritional information online. Here's Thai Express:

http://www.thaiexpress.ca/menu/nutrition/

:smile:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It won't make any difference in the overall obesity stats, much the same way nutritional labeling has impacted obesity since that was introduced a decade or more ago.

How can you know that? I think it will definitely help, at least at the margins. If it reduces obesity rates over 10 years by 5%, then its a very good thing. It will lower health care costs and help take people out of the ER where your tax dollars go. Period.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    i support calorie counts on menus. i wish they'd do it voluntarily. calorie counts are already on every commercially available food product.

Exactly. And how has that helped Americans eat healthier?? You still see people chowing down on Cheetos/ potato chips and fatty dips.

Posting nutritional info, thinking it will make people change their lives is as useful as putting gyms in obese cities. Only those who choose to do something about it, do something about it.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is Power. And soon people won't be able to say "they didn't know". And I am now a big fan of the Fresco menu at Taco Bell.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    excellent, people never really realise how bad their food is unit they actually start cooking and see how fat and sugar occur in food.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad this is happening- how could knowing what you're putting into your body be a bad thing?
  • debdelilah
    Options
    It is definitely a good thing. Fast-food culture gets blamed a lot for the obesity epidemic in the country, but convenient foods do not have to be bad for you - things can be inexpensive and fast and also be healthy. They can also be delicious! If restaurants have to post their contents by law(as stores already do when you buy something pre-made) they may be motivated to improve the health quality of their products. And I think that's a necessary thing as we are not going back in time to a pre-convenience food culture really. We need a way to move forward...
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I would like this if only because it would save me the 5-10 min per menu item of screwing around on their websites looking up the calorie info (which is often a pain to find). It would be so much easier if it were just out there on the menu.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I hate logging.

I really hate having to guess at logging.

I'm far more likely to go to a restaurant that posts their nutritional info - for this reason alone.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    So one of the new(ish) pieces of legislation from the FDA is on calorie disclosure. The short version of the law (as I, in my limited knowledge, understand it) is that all restaurants or chain food establishments with more than 20 locations must provide full calorie disclosure on their products/menus. For example if you go to McDonalds the drive up window must have all the calorie counts for each product or if you go to gas station/convenience store chain they must have all the information posted as well. This has already been enacted in NY State but I believe is a nationwide change in the laws as it is a piece of the legislation on ObamaCare.

So the purpose of this post is not to stir up vitriol etc about Obamacare. I know we all have drastically differing opinions and if this were about politics then I'd have posted it elsewhere. What I'm interested in are people's opinions on this law. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is it helpful? Hurtful? Why or why not?
    I think it is great! I wish they had done it years ago! I do think it is a good thing in several ways. It is a great tool for those of us counting calories & a great tool of awareness for everyone. It will make people of how much (calories) they are eating & not even aware of it. I do not like to see the government get involved in any more than they already are (which is way to much) ( my opinion only) If restaurants aren't going to do it on their own as a public service Shame on them !