Binge Eating

Options
Hello all! I am new to MFP. i have been using it for about a week. I am loving it so far. However, earlier today, I binge ate. I had a small breakfast of oatmeal and almonds, and then went shopping with a friend. I should have had brought a healthy snack, or even a lunch, because an hour into shopping I was starving! I didn't want to eat anything at the mall because I know most everything there (food court, Johnny Rockets, etc.) has a ton of calories! I waited until I got home and then ate a salad with chicken. I was still hungry after eating. This past week, I have gone right upstairs after eating, to distance myself from the kitchen, so that even if I am still hungry, I won't eat more because I know it takes a while for food to digest and us to feel full. After eating lunch today, I didn't do that. I then ate half a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream - ALREADY pushing me over my daily calorie limit. I feel awful!! I feel like a failure, and so mad at myself. Any advice? Words of wisdom? I'm not even really sure what I'm asking, I just wanted to share...

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    don't worry about today, tomorrow will be better :)
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. It happens. Just move on & grow from it.
    One thing I do to help me with not doing this is when I feel hungry, I first drink a tall glass of water - or what works even better is hot green tea - makes me feel full. That should help. And also what I do is I remind myself how I felt after my last binge: guilty, disgusted, etc... and ask myself if I really want to feel like that again.... and that usually works.
    Best wishes to you, just remember to keep your head up and not be super mad at yourself for this one tiny mistake.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to had a blow out. The most important thing is be kind to yourself and just start again tomorrow. Try to eat what you had originally planned for the rest of the day. If you cut back too much for the rest of the day you will end up binging again at late evening - has happened to me many a time. Good luck.
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You require 3500 extra calories to gain one pound, and I highly doubt you got that high over your daily goal so it's okay. I also sometimes go nuts and eat a whole chocolate tablet (one day I ate 3, the whole day ended up being a whopping 4000 calories!).

Also don't restrict to much, just in case you do. Restricting too much usually leads to going on a crazy binge one day.
  • cat33101890
    cat33101890 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you SO much everyone!! Reading this has really helped! I'm back on my grind! :)