BMR

Options
Hi.
Ok, I just found this thing about BMR - basal matabolic rate. So I though cool, lets find out how much is the minimum I have to eat...
The calculator gave me 1723 calories. Now MFP gives me only 1370. Doesn't it mean I eat too little calories? I mean, if my body needs over 1700 even if I stay in bed all day, having less than that can't cover what I need.
Or am I not understanding it right?
Thanks

Replies

• fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The idea is that your body will take those 500 or so calories from your fat instead of food.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    Different calculators = different values I would guess. They are all based on averages anyway though, unless you know for sure the amount of lean mass you have. And I have seen "lightly active" described in a various number of ways on different sites, ranging from having a job with light movement to working out half an hour 3 times a week on top of whatever the job is. MFP's idea of sedentary is on the low side, whereas some sites will classify you sedentary at a higher activity level, but then give you a higher BMR for being in that category.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Just stick with one value, you don't to worry about BMR. Just focus on the value MFP gives
  • kwendyrice
    Options
    That makes sense. To maintain the size you currently are the BMR is apparently saying APPROXIMATELY 1700+. To lose weight take it down to around the 1300+ calories. This is based on the fact that essentially 1 pound equals 3500 calories. So this amounts to be able to lose 1 pound per week, one needs to burn off 3500 calories overall (500 calories a day). This is done as a combination of physical activity as well as improving quality and decreasing caloric (typically portions) - if you burn off 320 calories today, then decreased caloric intake would be in the neighborhood of 180 calories. If you don't exercise tomorrow, you have to give up all 500 from food.

The point is to eat a balanced diet in smaller quantity and better quality. The menu provided is pretty realistic.
    Don't overthink the whole thing.
    To truly get an accurate BMR one needs to know oxygen consumption, etc so to get a true one it requires a detailed assessment. The calculator you refer to, gives an estimate anyway.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    The idea is that your body will take those 500 or so calories from your fat instead of food.

Sorry, not true. You are not supposed to create a deficit from your BMR. You subtract from your TDEE.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    That makes sense. To maintain the size you currently are the BMR is apparently saying APPROXIMATELY 1700+. To lose weight take it down to around the 1300+ calories. This is based on the fact that essentially 1 pound equals 3500 calories. So this amounts to be able to lose 1 pound per week, one needs to burn off 3500 calories overall (500 calories a day). This is done as a combination of physical activity as well as improving quality and decreasing caloric (typically portions) - if you burn off 320 calories today, then decreased caloric intake would be in the neighborhood of 180 calories. If you don't exercise tomorrow, you have to give up all 500 from food.

The point is to eat a balanced diet in smaller quantity and better quality. The menu provided is pretty realistic.
    Don't overthink the whole thing.
    To truly get an accurate BMR one needs to know oxygen consumption, etc so to get a true one it requires a detailed assessment. The calculator you refer to, gives an estimate anyway.

Again, not true. You do not create a deficit from your BMR. Use your BMR to determine your TDEE, and create the deficit from there.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    Just stick with one value, you don't to worry about BMR. Just focus on the value MFP gives

Not true. You should worry about your BMR.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    Hi.
    Ok, I just found this thing about BMR - basal matabolic rate. So I though cool, lets find out how much is the minimum I have to eat...
    The calculator gave me 1723 calories. Now MFP gives me only 1370. Doesn't it mean I eat too little calories? I mean, if my body needs over 1700 even if I stay in bed all day, having less than that can't cover what I need.
    Or am I not understanding it right?
    Thanks

Yes, you are understanding it correctly. I don't know your stats, so I can't tell how accurate your BMR is. But MFP tends to give too few calories, especially if you tell it you want to lose 2 pounds per week. If you want to use the MFP way, tell it you want to use 1 pound per week, and also eat back your calories burned.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Foley while I agree 200% what you said do you just like saying "not true " maybe mix it up next time and say false. Just saying lol
  • lustingforfitness
    Options
    The only people giving accurate information in this thread are foleyshirley and debdelilah.
  • foleyshirley
    Options
    Foley while I agree 200% what you said do you just like saying "not true " maybe mix it up next time and say false. Just saying lol

:) Got it!
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options

the thing that probably isn't true is that the OP's BMR is 1700. Not likely.
  • ladiablo
    ladiablo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I told MFP 2 lbs/week and it gave me 1200 calories. Then I read that recommended thread about TDEE and BMR, calculated my body fat, and was given a "light activity" bmr of 2031 or so. I subtracted the recommended 20% to find the calories I should be eating and it's 1613... so I should be getting at least 1613 of healthy, whole foods in my macros for healthiest weight loss, right?
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    Yep, and you may have a slower rate of loss than you would like, but it's better/safer/and gives you time to focus on healthy habits.
  • foleyshirley
    Options

the thing that probably isn't true is that the OP's BMR is 1700. Not likely.

I did tell her I couldn't vouch for the number because we don't have enough info. But her understanding of BMR was correct. And the stuff I said wasn't true we're not true.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I told MFP 2 lbs/week and it gave me 1200 calories. Then I read that recommended thread about TDEE and BMR, calculated my body fat, and was given a "light activity" bmr of 2031 or so. I subtracted the recommended 20% to find the calories I should be eating and it's 1613... so I should be getting at least 1613 of healthy, whole foods in my macros for healthiest weight loss, right?

That is a reasonable approach, yes.

ETA: I just noticed you called the 2031 number your BMR. I think it must be your TDEE, in which case, it is a reasonable approach.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As there appears to be confusion:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The number of calories you burn in a day, which includes your daily activity,

You need a deficit from your TDEE to lose weight.
  • foleyshirley
    Options

Sorry, not true. You are not supposed to create a deficit from your BMR. You subtract from your TDEE.

You mean deficit from your TDEE.

I actually did say to subtract from your TDEE. I clearly say do NOT subtract from you BMR. I've said it twice, at least.
  • foleyshirley
    Options

Not true. You should worry about your BMR.

BMR doesn't matter, it changes as you lose weight, IT IS ALWAYS CHANGING. I have eaten below my BMR many times, and i know many others who have too.

Yes it does change. But MFP often has people eating below their BMR often. I have eaten below my BMR, which of course is an estimate unless you have it tested. But I would not tell anyone to do it long term.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    yes foley, but you also say you should never go below your BMR, which is not always true.

If a person is truly sedentary (sometimes due to health/injury issues) does this mean they can never lose weight? Of course not.

Whils I would certainly advise that most people should incorporate regular exercise into their lives to raise their TDEE, it is not going to kill you to dip below your BMR (as long as its not too far below or for too long in duration). Note that more significantly overweight people will sustain this level of caloric restriction much better than leaner people.